Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
If you want to play tit for tat....how come I keep being cut off by trucks with confederate flags and jesus fish on the back?

As i stated, there are ugly people from everywhere, even here. I'm sory you have to deal with that.
I give up....you don't really wish to discuss the issue.....sigh.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Desdemona... some people have not read George Orwell's 1984 or experienced first hand the results of the erosion of civil liberties. I have been to countries without the civil liberties we are supposed to have. I've seen the legacy of communism in post-communist Poland, poverty stricken favelas (slums) in Brazil, and many other relevant things. I don't want the U.S. to turn into that.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
Desmona, Look back at page 5. You replied before i finished editing that post.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Desdemona... some people have not read George Orwell's 1984 or experienced first hand the results of the erosion of civil liberties. I have been to countries without the civil liberties we are supposed to have. I've seen the legacy of communism in post-communist Poland, poverty stricken favelas (slums) in Brazil, and many other relevant things. I don't want the U.S. to turn into that.
Maybe that is it. I've lived in a few different countries and visited many more...like you, I don't want to see the US, as imperfect as it is, lose the one thing we have going for us....civil liberties of such that those in other countries can't even imagine.

As for 1984 well.....the at times the similarities are down-right scary.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
And how many of those drunk driving arrests could have been avoided in the first place if the manpower was used to offer free breathalyser tests at local bars? It could have prevented the drunk driving, and also freed up limited jail space and court resources. But I guess your goal is to get as many people packed in jail as possible to justify your expense to the taxpayer.

How many people in bars would consent to a "free" breathalyser test in a bar? Don't a lot of those arrested for drunk driving say they've "only had a drink or two" and feel they are fine to drive? Wouldn't those same people say "no thank-you" to that free test offered by officers? Seriously. I'm sure some would consent to the test and find an alternate way home. This opens up a new can of worms because how does the officer in the bar handle those who are obviously drunk, refuse the test and head toward the parking lot. I'm not trying to be confrontational just asking some questions to figure out how free tests in bars would be any more effective or efficient. How many more officers would be needed to canvas all bars in town yet still leave enough to patrol the streets? Wouldn't taxpayers squash the request for the funding that would require?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:05 AM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
You could make all people take the breathalyzer before leaving the bar. Wait...... that would cause more erosion of our civil liberties wouldn't it?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 AM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Default How about a lawsuit against you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Did anyone see the DUI checkpoint on E. Chatham Street last night? I passed through around 1 AM, totally sober of course, and was harassed by the officers. I didn't roll my window down more than an inch because I refuse to allow officers to stick their breathalyzer flashlights into my vehicle space. They unconstitutionally searched my car without a warrant (by ordering me to give them my keys so they could move the car out of the street... when I refused, they threatened to arrest me for "obstruction". I told them I do not consent to this but handed them the keys anyway). Anyway, they harassed me for about 20 minutes while I kept insisting that I either be charged and detained, or let go. They seemed to not believe that I am a Virginia resident and kept asking, "Are you sure you don't have an NC license as well?" even though my vehicle tags & license are both Virginia. They made me do two sobriety "tests" even though I was 100% sober, which I obviously passed. I kept asking "Am I free to go", and insisted that this was unconstitutional and that there was no probable cause for this traffic stop.

Anyway, is this a common practice in Cary? Total disregard for the U.S. constitution? The most troubling part was the unwarranted search (officers driving my vehicle!?! wtf..). Also they asked me to exit my vehicle with no probable cause. In Arizona, if you refuse to roll your window down the officers can only follow you for one mile to see if you are driving erratically and then pull you over for that. Is NC really such a fascist state? Anyway, I am planning on filing a lawsuit against the Cary Police Department as soon as possible.
If a drunk kills my wife and kids because there was not a checkpoint (we do not want to inconvenience you and your civil liberties-which don't apply..driving is a priviledge not a right) because you sue Cary PD I will have to sue you. Matter of fact, if you lose a loved one to a drunk driver I hope their defense lawyer says their client is not guilty because they have rights. In my opinion you have disrespected all of the innocent victims who have died as a result of drunk drivers. Perhaps you should really think about all of the little kids who are alive today because of our brave officers putting up with your kind of nonsense. Roll your window down and quit snivelling. I personally think they should have busted your window, taken you downtown and checked your blood alcohol content before letting you go. Way to go Cary PD! I salute you! Keep up the good work.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
If a drunk kills my wife and kids because there was not a checkpoint (we do not want to inconvenience you and your civil liberties-which don't apply..driving is a priviledge not a right) because you sue Cary PD I will have to sue you. Matter of fact, if you lose a loved one to a drunk driver I hope their defense lawyer says their client is not guilty because they have rights. In my opinion you have disrespected all of the innocent victims who have died as a result of drunk drivers. Perhaps you should really think about all of the little kids who are alive today because of our brave officers putting up with your kind of nonsense. Roll your window down and quit snivelling. I personally think they should have busted your window, taken you downtown and checked your blood alcohol content before letting you go. Way to go Cary PD! I salute you! Keep up the good work.
Amen brother. All of ya'll have a Merry Christmas now.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:20 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Deuterdu, did you score below 700 on the SAT exam? Do you care to explain what exactly you would sue me for? Your post is so factually incorrect and so devoid of merit that I won't even bother replying to each point individually. I think it would suffice to say that you should consider enrolling in a high school civics class and learning the bill of rights. In particular, you should be forced to memorize the fourth amendment to the United States Constitution. In no way does driving a motor vehicle cancel out the Bill of Rights. If you can point me to anything documenting that this is the case, then I will stand corrected. Until then, your emotional response to a fact-based debate serves only to highlight your own shortsightedness and your willingness to mock the true ideals of America.

There is one other point that deserves mentioning. "Driving is a privilege, not a right" is a highly contestable issue. I am of the belief that driving is a right, and there have been numerous court cases in which judges ruled that driving is a right. Like some other rights, the right to drive can be taken away, but only through due process.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
So....what if there is not outside challenge to the checkpoints, but Cary (or any other city) doesn't have one that 'catches' the drunk driver that kills someone......should that city also be sued for not having a checkpoint that caught the driver that killed someone?

That is the logical conclustion of the logical fallacies in your post. Amazing.....scary...but amazing. (And remember before you answer, that I don't agree that any law enforcement department or town/city should be sued for for having check points that follow the law as currently applied.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies