Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

I think marijuana is going to have to be de-stigmatized. In places where it's legal that either has happened or is slowly happening. However, in red states it's still primarily associated with the counterculture of the 1960s which is core to why there is so much resistance to legalization. There's also the Reagan-era belief that drugs are drugs whether its weed or heroin or meth and they all are just as bad. That is entirely false but it's what much of red state America believes. This is why, despite over 90% national popular support, even getting medical marijuana has been a steep uphill if not impossible climb in the Bible Belt. In states that have managed to get it passed, the Christian Right has quickly come in from behind to try to make access to it as difficult as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Try that nonsense where I work and you will be fired instantly. And I have had people fired.
LOL, I don't really announce it, I just let my better work output speak for itself. If it works for me its no one else's business. And it's no more "nonsense" than the huge number of people on prescription drugs for anything from depression to ADD.

As the stigma is removed this will become an important workers rights issue for business that want the best talent.

I would never work anywhere that requires drug testing, that's as absurd to me as an employer saying you can't have an adult beverage on a work lunch.

If you want to make drug testing a requirement I'll say thanks but no thanks and take my talents elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Try that nonsense where I work and you will be fired instantly. And I have had people fired.

People dont think about drug testing that be be ramped up if its legalized. Several people where I use to work lost their jobs when drug tested after a just a minor accident in the fab shop. Came up positive, you're gone. Or the random tests that can catch you off guard.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
TBH it doesn't really matter if it is harmful or not

The only thing that matters is: Are the consequences of it being ILLEGAL more damaging that the consequences of it being legal

In this case I think it is pretty obvious that they are

In this case, the long term effects of a felony drug conviction can change someone's life for the worse much more than the actual effects of the drug itself, thus it should be a no brainer
And that is why I voted to legalize it (along with the tax revenue because we in Washington have no income tax but we love sin taxes). I have never even tried it and have no desire to. But I see no reason to put people in jail and give them felony records for it. Giving people felony records for drugs means they will be less likely to get a job and less likely to pay taxes. In the long run WE pay because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
LOL, I don't really announce it, I just let my better work output speak for itself. If it works for me its no one else's business. And it's no more "nonsense" than the huge number of people on prescription drugs for anything from depression to ADD.

As the stigma is removed this will become an important workers rights issue for business that want the best talent.

I would never work anywhere that requires drug testing, that's as absurd to me as an employer saying you can't have an adult beverage on a work lunch.

If you want to make drug testing a requirement I'll say thanks but no thanks and take my talents elsewhere.
If it is ever federally legalized, perhaps the answer is for every company that does drug testing, they should also have to do breathalyzer testing and employees treated the same. I could see that happening.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Neither is alcohol.

All I know is Washington state got over $319 million in marijuana tax revenue in 2017 that went toward schools and drug treatment.
Post #3! That may be a record here.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

Oh yeah, drug testing mandatory to work for railroads. Stoners need not apply.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Weed is a lot less harmful than alcohol, for sure.
Uzis do less harm than nuclear bombs.

Something to ponder...

Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Post #3! That may be a record here.
With the homeless stoned crowd to spend it on.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Trading one ridiculous vice for another.
Ridiculous in your opinion.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And that is why I voted to legalize it (along with the tax revenue because we in Washington have no income tax but we love sin taxes). I have never even tried it and have no desire to. But I see no reason to put people in jail and give them felony records for it. Giving people felony records for drugs means they will be less likely to get a job and less likely to pay taxes. In the long run WE pay because of it.

If it is ever federally legalized, perhaps the answer is for every company that does drug testing, they should also have to do breathalyzer testing and employees treated the same. I could see that happening.
Extremely few federal and state prisoners are in for marijuana offenses and no one goes in for first-time possession. The idea that our prisons are full of people in for marijuana violations comes from the marijuana industry, politicians and the useful idiots used by those two groups to advance the agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies