Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Couple of hundred dollars......

In other words it costs the State money, not the other way round.

I know private prisons make money, but State doesn't make anything. They re-coup a fraction of the cost they put in.
I'll get the exact amount that his particular arrest provided funding for the state if you like. But regardless, multiply that amount by the number of daily arrests, then multiply that by 365 days a year, and you have yourself a profitable enterprise indeed.

In fact, the funding is so high that most of the agencies involved have to find ways to spend it at the end of the year, because if they don't they will lose that portion from next year's budget. Use it or lose it.

That, combined with prosecutors who gets their raises and promotions based on number of convictions, is exactly why we have a system that is so rife with corruption. Our current system encourages it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
What about all the people on tranquilizers and antidepressants? Is there any difference between their state of mind and someone on a small amount of pot or alcohol? They get a pass on being stoned because they have a prescription. The only criteria should be work performance. Random drug testing at work has been effective in limiting the use of pot at home and alcohol on the job. But tranquilizers and anti depressants always got a free pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If it is ever federally legalized, perhaps the answer is for every company that does drug testing, they should also have to do breathalyzer testing and employees treated the same. I could see that happening.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM

How do you know you are not paranoid and delusional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold - I have the impression that everyone I know is rather delusional and paranoid who smokes weed daily. If you do, I don't doubt you exhibit some of these traits. I don't care that you smoke it and I am for it being legal, but just like alcohol makes you drunk and paranoid and delusional and a host of other things - cannabis also makes you high and delusional and paranoid - IMO much moreso than alcohol. Alcohol has more physical debilitating side effects than cannabis but both have negative mental effects.

I've never known any regular cannabis user who was not somewhat delusional and paranoid who in "their right mind" meaning "not high" didn't suffer from sort of of mental health issue.

Sigh on your responses. I do think you are exhibiting some paranoia and delusions in your post because you keep insinuating my posts are some sort of personal attack on you as a cannabis user. I already stated that I am basing my view on the people in my life. I'll also note that I know some software coders who use and they are also paranoid and delusional in our personal relationships. They are very defensive as well about cannabis even though I am "for" them having it. I just also am "for" people realizing that everything about cannabis is not "good." It does have some mental health side effects for some portions of the population and to deny that IMO is paranoid and delusional.

And lol on your bourgoisie weed too. I know people who use all sorts of strains and who mostly grow it themselves or get it from a particular grower who specializes in particular strains so it is not just dime bag bought on the streets.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM

The lawyers, the prosecutors, the judges, the cops, the court employees, prison workers, parole officers, all get paid, as do the people who train, equip and maintain all of the above. The state doesn't pay, the costs are borne by the taxpayers. If all the drug posession charges disappeared, there would be less state employees on the payroll to police, prosecute, and imprison offenders. Less costs to imprison and keep tabs on them when they get out. Less people in the economy who can't get a decent job because of their prison records who then need to rely on social services to get by. The savings would be passed on to the taxpayers. The war on drugs is just another business enterprise. Law enforcement is just another business.
Quote:
How does the State make money from it?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I'll get the exact amount that his particular arrest provided funding for the state if you like. But regardless, multiply that amount by the number of daily arrests, then multiply that by 365 days a year, and you have yourself a profitable enterprise indeed.
If that is true, then it trash-cans the argument about raking in tax money from legal pot sales.

However it is not true. It costs the State heck of a lot more than they re-coup.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The lawyers, the prosecutors, the judges, the cops, the court employees, prison workers, parole officers, all get paid. The state doesn't pay, the costs are borne by the taxpayers.
LOL. Since the tax-payers are the State, the State pays. My brother-in-law was paid by the State of Florida aka tax-payers all his career as a lawyer.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
If that is true, then it trash-cans the argument about raking in tax money from legal pot sales.
That's a stretch. Yes, legal cannabis does eliminate most cannabis-related arrests, but the multi-millions made from taxing it more than makes up for that.

That leaves LE available to pursue real criminals for profit. The number of arrests don't drop that much, and the people being arrested are more likely to be ones who deserve it (like my brother's DUI - if the officer had been busy busting a marijuana user he might have missed it, then who knows what could have happened).

Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That's a stretch. Yes, legal cannabis does eliminate most cannabis-related arrests, but the multi-millions made from taxing it more than makes up for that.
I don't know. It sounds like you want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs. If the State is making a killing on arresting pot smokers, then why would you want to stop it?

Perhaps they should double their efforts so we can use to money to build better roads ans stuff

Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know. It sounds like you want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs. If the State is making a killing on arresting pot smokers, then why would you want to stop it?

Perhaps they should double their efforts so we can use to money to build better roads ans stuff
They don't want to stop it. LE agencies are close to the top of the list of entities who do not want to see legalization happen.

One look at Colorado's corrupt pile of propaganda called "The Rocky Mountain High Report" by any objective person reveals that. It is a report compiled by law enforcement for law enforcement, and it is them trying their best to delay, or even reverse, legalization. More power to them, lol.

BTW, my efforts towards doing my part to end prohibition has nothing to do with golden eggs (money).

Old 03-27-2019, 03:30 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:

Why would you think it would go towards that? Once again, you're exposing your naivety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies