Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did I criticize that, or even intimate that? No. You are trying to create a straw man.

I live in Wisconsin, and during the cold winter months we usually go thru weeks of cloudy, windless, foggy days. There is no wind, there is no solar, well, none to speak of. Wind and solar can go hand in hand all they like, and we still have no control over the weather, or the day/night cycle.
All your power does not come from Wisconsin. The longest cost effective transmission of power is over 2,000 miles though it is usually not transmitted that far unless needed in unusual circumstances.

So just because there is no sun or wind in your neighborhood does not mean the power you use can not come from those sources.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:14 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Oil has no place in a long-term future.

And I think many will be surprised how fast electric takes over the auto industry. A lot of things will need to happen, but I think you're going to begin o some enormous investments very soon in both the vehicles themselves (already seeing it) and the infrastructure needed to support them.

Does the electricity generate itself to charge electric cars, or does it mostly come from FOSSIL FUELS? Also, oil is a component of just about every product made because it is a large ingredient in plastics and other composites. That doesn't count the fossil fuels needed to create the energy to make the product. Oil, Natural Gas, and even Coal is here to stay, and we have centuries of supply.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not as accurate as you might think... Farmers are learning that a wind farm on their property actually hinders ag production... Gone are the days when you can set the GPS on the combine and go for miles one way and back the other....
Autonomous vehicles are navigating cross country every day avoiding all manner of traffic and hazards. I'm sure a tractor can navigate across an open field even with a windmill in the way every so often.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
All your power does not come from Wisconsin. The longest cost effective transmission of power is over 2,000 miles though it is usually not transmitted that far unless needed in unusual circumstances.

So just because there is no sun or wind in your neighborhood does not mean the power you use can not come from those sources.
You walked into the middle of a conversation.

My point was only to illustrate to people who think we can supply all our energy demands with only wind and power, because wind and solar power are not reliable, or dependable.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:21 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My point was only to illustrate to people who think we can supply all our energy demands with only wind and power, because wind and solar power are not reliable, or dependable.
Who are those people? Never met any.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
He should just stand in front on a bunch of wind turbines and run his mouth like he tends to do. Problem solved.
I drove past a wind farm last week, and all forty or so windmill blades were static, as in none were spinning. You mean, stand in front of them, to prove his point?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Who are those people? Never met any.
Are you seriously going to play this game with me? The "I'm too stupid" game you are playing will not work. But if you want to play that game, I can treat you that way.

The Green New Deal folks are "those people," that you claim not to have heard of

Green New Deal

The Green New Deal will convert the decaying fossil fuel economy into a new, green economy that is environmentally sustainable, economically secure and socially just. The Green New Deal starts with transitioning to 100% green renewable energy (no nukes or natural gas) by 2030.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Does the electricity generate itself to charge electric cars, or does it mostly come from FOSSIL FUELS? Also, oil is a component of just about every product made because it is a large ingredient in plastics and other composites. That doesn't count the fossil fuels needed to create the energy to make the product. Oil, Natural Gas, and even Coal is here to stay, and we have centuries of supply.
Mostly from fossil fuels.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Mostly from fossil fuels.
Especially in the USA, because the anti-nuke folks in the '80s prevented the US from building very many clean nuclear power plants, so the overwhelming majority of baseload power is from fossil fuel.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM

So the basic argument is 'we cannot change, we have done it this way for 150 years, it works and trying to do better is hopeless'.

I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies