Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:11 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times

Advertisements

I did get a tax cut, saved about $1600 for our family, more if we had kids. The ones that didn’t benefit are the people with expensive houses in high tax states, mostly upper middle class. Unfortunate for them but their states are to blame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
While a I agree with you, the reason you don’t see the lift in poll numbers is taxes are not in the top 3 priorities for most Americans right now. The “cut taxes” band wagon is slowing and concerns for healthcare, national and personal debt, education, and retraining people for upcoming lost jobs due to automation are the main issues talked about.

Many of us in the south live in states that have cut taxes for 20+ years but the quality of live did not change for most. More jobs or businesses did not appear any quicker than other regions in the country. Recently we have seen a pushback against some of the cuts to education funding, infrastructure cuts, and complaints against states replacing taxes with neomourous “fees” to do anything.

When I look at my federal taxes compared to all the fees at local levels to make up for education and healthcare cuts, I end up at a wash. I got a tax cut but I paid more for my professional license, property tax, fishing license, increased cell phone fees, increased cable state fees, and many other fees set by the state because they are attempting to recupe the cut money. So in essence we didn’t net anything but the politicians can still say “ I cut your taxes”, it’s all hogwash.
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut

What I face is the damage to domestic programs we will suffer due to the running deficits we have now incurred. The Pentagon (with it's bloated budget) is a sacred cow, so the only other place to cut is domestic programs. I can not be bribed by a few coins now when my retirement is at stake.

Hurting programs like Social Security and Medicare has serious dangerous implications for me personally, and I am not unique. Many others like me are fully aware of what has been happening.

Any tax relief I may have recently garnered is piddling compared to the great damage to our country the tax cuts for the rich has brought. The small benefit I may (or may not have) reaped from this bribe pales by comparison to the cuts people like Donald Trump and Sheldon Adelson have received. So I am not happy about this at all. The wealth gap grows and the standard of living for ordinary Americans stagnates and the future prospects of the retired and the retiring are deteriorating. This country and it's common people are circling the drain because of all this.

~
Attached Thumbnails
Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut-top-heavy-relief.jpg   Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut-ryan-blows.jpg   Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut-trump-cuts.jpg   Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut-rammed-republicans.jpg  

Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Show me one or two of your posts where you cared about the deficit when Obama ran it up from $9 to $17 T? MORE THAN ALL OTHER PRESIDENTS COMBINED.
This gets so old. I supported very little of what Obama did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The deficit went up 9 trillion under Obama. I imagine you will blame that entirely on the (R)'s but that simply is not the case.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post50302159

Now what do you have to say?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And sober representation takes those two competing majorities and competently governs away that imbalance.

A child will demand more allowance, more toys and later bedtimes, but a proper parent understands the family finances and the child's welfare, and mitigates the childish demand with proper parental austerity.

Just because the ignorant public childishly demands a thing does not mean in a representative republic (not a democracy, tyvm) they get those things. Read the Federalist Papers.
The fact is politicians are just like the rest of us: they want to keep their jobs. Our spending is mostly defense and entitlements. Not much you can cut to make a significant difference besides those. And even talking about cutting those will get you in trouble politically.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Pretty much a wash with last year. But our local charities and GoodWill got hurt by the standard deduction, simply because most people can't itemize, and therefore can't get any tax benefit by contributing.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Our tax bracket change meant we paid more tax.

A LOT more tax.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I did get a tax cut, saved about $1600 for our family, more if we had kids. The ones that didn’t benefit are the people with expensive houses in high tax states, mostly upper middle class. Unfortunate for them but their states are to blame
Seriously?

The SALT deduction changes were a fed thing. Ditto the removal of personal exemptions.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
If I didn't change my with holdings to take more taxes out every paycheck I would have owed. I changed that immediately after my first check after the tax cut because I started getting about $100 per check.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Our gross income went up $11k+, but our federal taxable income went up $120k+ so our taxes went up $6k+. I'm ok with higher taxes if it's going to things like education, research, social safety net, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies