Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:52 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I have not read anything (yet) but the title of the thread, but this does not surprise me at all.

I think the main difference between today's Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats are all about excuses when people do not succeed in life or make poor choices, and Republicans are much more punitive in their thinking about such people.

Also, I think it is true that most prisoners do have a sense of entitlement, which I think Democrats encourage poor people to have (regarding people being entitled to some things that they have not earned), or they probably would not have ended up in prison at all. (Yes, I do know that many people are wrongly convicted.)

OTOH, I think that most Republicans feel that if the average person has not actually earned something, they can do without. (Of course, imo, this does not apply to wealthy Republicans because,n my opinion, what most poor people think they are entitled to pales in comparison to what wealthy people think they are entitled to -- but most people in prisons are poor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:56 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Can't win...... change the rules

I mean, who better to vote for the party that wants to give away free stuff by stealing from the productive members of society than criminals, right?

Seems to be the Democrat strategy these days.
Like I said before, this particular issue doesn't affect me. I don't care.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
There's a big difference between a felon who has completed their sentence and returned to society voting and one who is still incarcerated voting.....which is what Bernie is advocating.

I fully support anyone who has paid their debt to society having ALL of their rights restored.

Funny how Dems think that someone who is too irresponsible to own a gun is responsible enough to vote.......

Let's think this through, FatBob. Let's say YOU go to prison for some crime. In there, they let you eat, bathe, socialize, and even have family to visit you. You may have made a mistake, but you are not an animal, you are still a human being. With that logic, what possible harm could it cause to allow you to feel you still part of society, by studying the candidates and choosing the man/woman you feel you believe in?

I think it would be a positive step, and the days of putting prisoners in stocks and beating them has long passed. I think this would go a long way toward rehabilitation and a return to the outside world.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:37 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Let's think this through, FatBob. Let's say YOU go to prison for some crime. In there, they let you eat, bathe, socialize, and even have family to visit you. You may have made a mistake, but you are not an animal, you are still a human being. With that logic, what possible harm could it cause to allow you to feel you still part of society, by studying the candidates and choosing the man/woman you feel you believe in?

I think it would be a positive step, and the days of putting prisoners in stocks and beating them has long passed. I think this would go a long way toward rehabilitation and a return to the outside world.

People who commit felonies that are serious enough to go to prison for have demonstrated a disdain for society and it's rules of decency

Going to prison is a punishment, it isn't a place to be coddled. When you break serious laws there are serious consequences, and losing your rights while you are incarcerated is one of them.

Again, I'm all for ALL rights being restored after successful completion of their sentence....but while in prison?

No way.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Florida voters passed a Constitutional amendment to allow felons to vote, and apparently FL GOP has voted to not honor the Constitution. They want the felons to pay to vote, and many would have to pay so much there is no way they'll ever be able to vote. Not the first time FL GOP says F-U to Florida voters after they pass a vote.

Fla. House passes bill requiring felons to pay up before they can vote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...cN1?li=BBnbfcL

However it's resolved, the outcome could prevent thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of felons from voting, undermining the hope of the historic amendment.

Many owe fines, fees or restitution, and some owe so much that they'll never be able to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies