Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
wow someone reasonable on here... why is this forum a cesspit of weird republicans
And where is the money going to come from to pay childcare workers, with a high school diploma, that kind of money? One of my best friends earns more than $90,000 a year, with summers off.

Why do weird Democrats on this forum think a job that requires no higher education than a high school diploma, and involves work that a responsible teenager could do, should pay the same as a college-educated professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:33 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,885 times
Why wasn’t this necessary 15 years ago?

What’s changed???

Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Why would you NOT want the people in charge of your kid(s) for a good percentage of their waking hours-- keeping them safe, fed, clean, educated, socialized, entertained, disciplined, etc.-- to be paid well??? I wouldn't think care and wellbeing of a vulnerable and helpless member of my family would be someplace I'd want to skimp.
Here is a thought. Why don’t the parents raise the child? Why depend on others?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Anyone ever notice that Democrats think the solution to everything is to take money from one group and give it to another? If it were up to them, everyone would get paid the same.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Anyone ever notice that Democrats think the solution to everything is to take money from one group and give it to another? If it were up to them, everyone would get paid the same.
Well you might have a point if republicans didnt do it too. Looking forward to your SS and Medicare are you?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Why would you NOT want the people in charge of your kid(s) for a good percentage of their waking hours-- keeping them safe, fed, clean, educated, socialized, entertained, disciplined, etc.-- to be paid well??? I wouldn't think care and wellbeing of a vulnerable and helpless member of my family would be someplace I'd want to skimp.
This is common sense and I totally agree. Anyone that takes quality care of any member of my family young or old is worth every penny of value that they place upon themselves. Warren is great in that she not only presents great policy but she has it all worked out in detail. She is a numbers and policy wonk with a history to prove it.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
You can't be serious. People get paid what they are worth. It's an ancient concept!

Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is common sense and I totally agree. Anyone that takes quality care of any member of my family young or old is worth every penny of value that they place upon themselves. Warren is great in that she not only presents great policy but she has it all worked out in detail. She is a numbers and policy wonk with a history to prove it.
How does she know how much they (anyone) should be paid?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How does she know how much they (anyone) should be paid?
How is any salary decided and how is value assessed on anyone's labor? What value do the CEO's have that have screwed over the public and the economy but somehow we find the corporate welfare and bailouts for their golden parachutes.
Quote:
Warren’s policy calls for them to be paid on par with public school workers, more than the minimum wage they currently make on average.
Again, well worth the cost if the care is quality.
Quote:
Senator Warren’s policy would add $702 billion to the U.S. gross domestic product in its first 10 years, she estimated. Some of that comes from a projected increase in the number of women who would work outside of the home. Part of it comes from higher wages for childcare workers—Warren’s policy calls for them to be paid on par with public school workers, more than the minimum wage they currently make on average. And some of it comes from putting a ceiling on the cost of care, freeing up household spending in other categories.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 PM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
you suppose Elizabeth Warren knows better than you do what childcare facility is best for your child?
Why would Elizabeth Warren have anything to do with my hypothetical kids and where I choose to send them for childcare? I know plenty of people who are resentful of childcare cost, when to me it seems pretty reasonable for what they get, and it boggles my mind that they want to do their child's care on the cheap. I'm sorry it's expensive, but children are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well good. Pay your baby sitter what you think they are worth. Be the first. Start them at 50grand a year, full benefit package to include, vision and dental, no co-pays or deductibles and they don't contribute to the costs. That's what the teachers in my school district get.

Be the first one. set the example for the rest of us. Why should your choice to have children and use a baby sitter force the rest of America to foot the bill? Worse still you feel we need to pay them on par with people who typically have at least a 4 year degree.

My house? My wife wanted to be home with the children. Believe me I had little say in it. Where she is from and her culture, the woman rules the house. I was happy with the choice. It hit the wallet because she made good money, but we did something that would shock many and shut down the fed. We adjusted. WE didn't ask everyone else to pay for our life choices.
Sorry, bub. No kids here. But if I had them, where did I imply that I would expect anyone else to pay the costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is a thought. Why don’t the parents raise the child? Why depend on others?
I don't know. Why not ask parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You can't be serious. People get paid what they are worth. It's an ancient concept!
So you don't think care of your children is worth very much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies