Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:17 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Govt. licensure and wage laws have brought us here.
If and when Warren the genius policy wonk has her way with a mandatory childcare worker wage increase and mandatory employer subsidized childcare, fewer women than ever will be able to get work. Its almost as if Warren has it out for her fellow woman.

By the way, a number of employers offer childcare and financial assistance and do so without any laws forcing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
democrats, if you hate free markets, fine keep your stupid to yourself. just don't force your dumbass ideas on the rest of us.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
wow someone reasonable on here... why is this forum a cesspit of weird republicans
yeah reasoning only with emotion is super reasonable

Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I may live in the same district as you since I think we live in the same town. I also know plenty of young families who can’t afford for the mom to work because she won’t make enough for daycare. But their kids are fine. It’s those women Warren is saying she wants to help get into the workforce. I don’t understand how her plan would do that if she’s wanting daycare workers to get a huge raise, which will only make it more expensive.
That's what I don't understand about her plan: to me, it's not about whether childcare providers and early childhood educator should be paid more money... but what is the plan to prevent childcare costs from skyrocketing as a result? Both my current and former workplaces offered on-site daycare/preschool, and the staff are paid a little higher than average... but the tuition is so expensive that only higher-level employees can afford it.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Raise childcare workers pay on par with public schools

Caring for our smallest ones is one of the most important jobs in our society. Damn right they should be paid better!
you are free to donate or pay above market. it is not the federal govts role to be arbitrarily managing price points of child care labor.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I may live in the same district as you since I think we live in the same town. I also know plenty of young families who can’t afford for the mom to work because she won’t make enough for daycare. But their kids are fine. It’s those women Warren is saying she wants to help get into the workforce. I don’t understand how her plan would do that if she’s wanting daycare workers to get a huge raise, which will only make it more expensive.
WE lived in every ISD off 1960 for the past 40 years, on and off. And Dallas, Galveston, Beaumont Waco Austin, San Antonio and St. Louis a bunch of times. And we moved to HISD when son wanted to go to PVA.

We were in Klein, but the institutional racism was more than DH could take, so we recently moved to CyFair.

Years ago DH worked for a company that employed many women in 5 different states. Part of his job was to know where to open an office and where were the women employees coming from, what to pay etc. Even that many years ago, in order to afford to pay for childcare, the company would need to provide it or pay enough for them to get it.

The directors were all married to SAHM, so they thought on site day care was too costly. DH also thought kids should go to school close to where the parent worked instead of a neighborhood school. That way, they would have more time together during the commute, be closer for conferences and programs. It would save mom on after school care and relieve the ISD of transportation cost.His boss thought he was nuts.

A mom working will need to earn a bunch to pay for taxes, going to work expenses such as clothes, lunch etc. Many don't calculate the cost of being employed. After the childcare, car cost and taxes, many would be better off staying home. Making dinner from scratch is far better than picking up burger doodles on the way home and cheaper.

As far as Texas is concerned, they care more about the location of light switches than training of daycare employees.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well good. Pay your baby sitter what you think they are worth. Be the first. Start them at 50grand a year, full benefit package to include, vision and dental, no co-pays or deductibles and they don't contribute to the costs. That's what the teachers in my school district get.

Be the first one. set the example for the rest of us. Why should your choice to have children and use a baby sitter force the rest of America to foot the bill? Worse still you feel we need to pay them on par with people who typically have at least a 4 year degree.

My house? My wife wanted to be home with the children. Believe me I had little say in it. Where she is from and her culture, the woman rules the house. I was happy with the choice. It hit the wallet because she made good money, but we did something that would shock many and shut down the fed. We adjusted. WE didn't ask everyone else to pay for our life choices.
Don't forget that if you treat them like teachers, you have to give them 10 weeks vacation every summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, a spring break and every made-up holiday known to man off.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Don't forget that if you treat them like teachers, you have to give them 10 weeks vacation every summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, a spring break and every made-up holiday known to man off.
We no longer need the kids to work the fields.

The building cost the same used 52 weeks a year. Perhaps HVAC and electricity would go up.

Ask your local school board to make school year round. Makes sense to me.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:27 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Wow. Someone else who doesn't understand what early childhood education is all about.

Come on, admit it - you just think women should stay home, barefoot and pregnant.

Women work. Women have children. Working families need child care. Deal with it.
How much are YOU willing to pay for your Child to have this type of Child care.
Yes we know, the next step is for you to want to raise taxes so the Govt pays their wages.
Sorry my School taxes are already high enough. I don't want to pay for your kids daycare also.

The free market should determine what YOU are willing and can afford to pay just like it did for my kids.

And education? I provided early education for my kids in the evenings when they were young before bedtime. Both have Masters Degrees today.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We no longer need the kids to work the fields.

The building cost the same used 52 weeks a year. Perhaps HVAC and electricity would go up.

Ask your local school board to make school year round. Makes sense to me.
Year round school still attend the same number of days. Breaks are just shorter and spread out throughout the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies