Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

I don't disagree that child care costs are prohibitively high. But does that mean teachers should be paid half of what their school age-teaching counterparts earn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:17 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't disagree that child care costs are prohibitively high. But does that mean teachers should be paid half of what their school age-teaching counterparts earn?
Yes. If a parent wants better education for their 2-4yo child they can then pay for better education.
It's not your job to dictate their wages and make those child care facilities beyond the cost of low wage parents.

My money should not pay for your overly expensive child care.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't everyone be concerned that the people caring for the next generation are not well compensated? Why wouldn't anyone believe that employees should be compensated according to their educational achievements? Why are preschool teaching salaries so low? Why does this have to be spelled out to anyone past the age of 10?
we've already heard of one preschool teacher that makes $85K a year.

the proposal is just absolute insanity.

Nobody said "I want to send MY child to the cheapest daycare/preschool, and so I'm OK with paying all the workers minimum wage. Everything beyond that is irrelevant to me"

There are a variety of daycare/preschools out there. Some parents insist on rankings/stars/curriculums, etc ... and they have the opportunity to pay for those schools. Those schools typically have waiting lists, and they're also typically the most expensive.

Is Warren (and some here) trying to say:

If only we paid daycare/preschool workers better, then there could be more schools to meet the demand, and thus costs across the board would go down?

Or are they saying "everyone deserves a 5-star school for their child, so we'll pay to get the workers accredited, and then the US Gov will just subsidize the difference between 'basic care' and 'awesome care'". Because THEN, you have 100% demand for that.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
I didn't realize that Pocahontas was still in the race.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Babysitters (also known as daycare attendants and/or preschool teachers) AREN'T worth half, not even close to what a high school earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, basic math, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, French, German, English, Spanish, sociology, psychology, American history, world history, speech, physical education, JROTC, shop or ANY other high school teacher is worth.

If the "soup nazi" from Seinfeld were here he'd scream, "No soup for you!"

You want a participation trophy for a race you didn't run, much less win. You want a teacher's salary... no, a professor's salary because you chose a field that meant a lot to you but wasn't financially rewarding. I get it. My wife is a licensed master social worker because she believes it's needed. She knew there wouldn't be much pay unless she went to work for the government, specifically for vets suffering from PTSD, but she felt compelled, just like you, to do it for the children. She had to accept the pay. Her reward, her "trophy" was knowing she helped young children.

I don't care how many times people like you stomp your feet, proclaiming it unfair, a janitor does not and will not bring the same value to a company as a manager or a CEO. Trying to demand they be paid the same does NOT equate to them having the same value to the organization. The same can be said for the baby sitters who watch children in day care. This is such low level economics, well then again, they probably don't teach economics in baby sitting college classes, do they?

Old 04-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Too bad - state-licensed early education is here, and it's here to stay.

Curriculum based, state licensed early education is already here, and has been for 25 years. Parents demand it and the state department of education demands it. State licensed early childhood education has educational requirements for teachers. If you don't like it, take it up with your state legislature.
the parents that demand it, pay for it.

state DOE's require certain accreditations of those schools who are selling the highest level of curriculum/care. and of those who are subsidized by said government.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
is there a state public school department that is over-capacity of teachers?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:37 PM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You mean like JFK or Bill Clinton ?
Them, too.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 PM

376 posts, read 240,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
yeah reasoning only with emotion is super reasonable
Huh??? Yes I would like childcare professionals to get paid more. That's really not unreasonable seeing how rich the US is and how much wealth is hoarded at the top. God, conservatism is just pure projection. Nearly all US conservative beliefs are based on emotion, not fact; no more immigration because muh culture, cut taxes for the rich because i feel like it'll trickle down when every major peer-reviewed study out there disagrees with that premise... I can go on.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 PM

376 posts, read 240,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So we are arguing the same point apparently. My kids went to an excellent daycare, and most of the employees were young moms who got a break on their own daycare expenses. They were sweet and took care of my kids really well. I hope most of those girls furthered their education and went on to bigger things. The pay sucks but there are some perks.

They got training too. They were more than babysitters.
For all the conservative huffing and puffing over "muh freedom" it does seem odd that you're ok with people basically being forced to partake in a job to get their child educated. But anyway, this is your own personal anecdote, many childcare workers are working class and are barely getting by, why should they not get a raise? If Trump's economy is so amazingly great why can't childcare workers get paid more?
God you people just love pushing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies