Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Ummmm... Eastern European countries aren't the target. Eastern Russian Republics are the target and Caucasuses (I guess he means countries like Azerbaidschan, Kazhakstan, etc.).
Yes I understand that, the former CIS states.

And I am also wondering when a non-Muslim country was invaded after WWII - for an economic or military reason. ( may be except Vietnam)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They don't appear to be extremists outside the Ayatollah hard core supporters and one of the most educated nations in the ME. There was a good deal of unrest with the protests several years ago before the deal. The agreement was putting pressure on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the right wing since the lifting of some sanctions did not improve the economy. We were heading in the right direction with a more moderate elected leader in Hassan Rouhani. all our current actions have done is to empower the IRG and the Ayatollah. Besides, why would they ever sign on to another agreement since we cant be trusted,
They're not.

But they are also not the same pro-America force the young population represent.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Yes I understand that, the former CIS states.

And I am also wondering when a non-Muslim country was invaded after WWII - for an economic or military reason. ( may be except Vietnam)
Panama, not a war, but an invasion.

Though that was more tying up loose ends. Also Korea. Grenada, lots more.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Iranians are not pro-American, period. But many of them are not against the West as such, which is already more than generous on their part.

Anyway, the new accusations are of course fabricated, just like in Iraq etc. The fascist axis Washington, Jerusalem, Riyadh, Brasilia just wants to start a war (economic or military) against Iran, just like against any independent oil-rich countries (think of Russia or Venezuela).

And, 15 inspections of Iranian nuclear installations by the independent atomic agency have confirmed Iran has been observing the agreement all along.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:10 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It [Iraq invasion] was a major success.

The reason to be in Iraq (and Afghanistan) is a stepping-off point for Iran.

If and when you are successful in bringing your Geo-Strategic Plan to fruition, Bush will be hailed as a hero and the man who made it all happen.

Get used to it.
Back in 2018 I saw Bolton interviewed by Tucker Carlson of Fox (I think we can both agree that Carlson is not an anti-Trump leftist) and Carlson told Bolton point blank that the Iraq invasion was "a disaster" and asked him why he thought it was a "resounding success". Bolton trotted out the old discredited "WMDs" and "nuclear program" pretexts for the invasion and a lot of neo-con claptrap. It was a pretty weak performance. Carlson, in my opinion, destroyed Bolton and exposed him as a total nut job.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Question Graham: Trump officials not adequately briefing on Iran threat

Graham: Trump officials not adequately briefing on Iran threat

"Graham, the chairman of the State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee, said senators have been largely kept in the dark as the U.S. sends an aircraft carrier strike group and bombers to the Middle East."

WTF ?!?

If not, why not?
___

“I don’t think it’s fair for us to walk around wondering,” he said, reflecting broader concerns among Senate GOP colleagues about the fast-moving events in the Middle East.

Asked about the threat posed by Iran and a report by The New York Times that acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has drawn up a plan to send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East, Graham said, “I don’t know.”

Old 05-15-2019, 03:49 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,467 times
Iranian hardliners are saying there will be more attacks in Saudi Arabia and the UAE like the ones that happened this week:

Iranian Hardliners Suggest More Attacks On UAE And Saudi Interests

Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And you post a link to WAPO?

Are you for real?

Who at WAPO was at the National Training Center testing operational plans for the invasion of Iran?

Well, no one. But, I was.

Who at WAPO was in the S-3 of a brigade that took up a blocking position and repelled threat forces up to 18x its size for 30 days while sustaining only minor insignificant casualties?

No one. But, I did.

Who at WAPO drew up plans to seize and control bridges and a bridge-head over the Karun River (yeah, it's in Iran)?

No one. But, I did.

Who at WAPO actually practiced that?

No one. But, I did. I'm not airborne qualified, so I didn't jump, but I was on the ground to ensure the company commanders understood the mission and executed it properly. I am air assault qualified, so I was on the heliborne operation, in the event we need to use the 101st instead of the 82nd. We just simulated a sea launch. We did a ground operation, too, in the event weather or other factors precluded the possibility of an airborne or air assault.

Did the idiot WAPO author mention that 80% of Iran's oil and natural gas is in Khuzestan?

Why not?

Is it because the WAPO author is spewing propaganda and disinformation, or is it because the WAPO author is just stupid?

Did the moron WAPO author mention how Iran could possibly function with the loss of 80% of its oil and natural gas revenues?

Why not?

Did the stupid WAPO author mention that the US would control or blockade all Iranian ports, and that with US forces sitting in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Azerbaijan, Iran will not be able to import or export anything, and that Iran will derive no revenues?

Why not?

Did WAPO imbecile mention that Arabs are the majority ethnic group in Khuzestan?

Why not?

Does the idiot not understand that Arabs and Persian are genetically different, meaning their DNA is different, meaning they are not related?

Why not?

Did the WAPO author mention that the Turkic minority groups outnumber Persians in Khuzestan?

Why not?

Did the moron mention that Khuzestan has previously attempted to secede from Iran?

Why not?

Did the moron mention the Balochs?

Why not? Does the idiot author even know of the existence of Baluchistan?

Did idiot explain how the Iranian army is going to fight the Balochs and the Arabs and the US?

There's a large Kurdish group in northwest Iran. What if they decide to establish a Kurdish homeland?

Did the dumb-ass WAPO author explain how the Iranian army will fight the Balochs and the Kurds and the Arabs and the US?

Why not?

Could it be the WAPO author is totally clueless?

Do you understand air and sea-launched cruise missiles are going to take out every electrical power generation plant and all telecommunication facilities?

Do you understand the power outage is not going to be 2 hours, it's going to be 6 months to 3 years from the end of the conflict? You should know that, because that's how long it took to restore electrical power in Iraq.

Those turbines in power generation plants are not Amazon Prime with 2-day shipping. They're made to order, and they take 1-2 years to build.

So, there you are, in Iran, no electricity, no TV, no radio, no internet, no cell-phone, no land-line, the toilet doesn't work and there's no running water. You have no money, because the banks are closed and what money they had was already withdrawn by people who panicked when the bombing started. You have no food, the grocery stores have no food because they've been looted, whatever food was left in your country has been looted, or cannot be delivered, because there's no diesel and the roads and bridges and rail-lines are destroyed, and the US is blockading all ports are the borders are closed or blocked. You can't go to work, because there's no gasoline, and there's no electricity and you're out of parts or supplies so all you can do is stand around -- in the dark -- staring at each other.

What do you think Iranians are going to do?

Some will be very angry at US, but some will be very angry with their government, and that anger will spill over.

And, what does history tell us? History tells us governments always over-react. It's the one thing in addition to death and taxes you can count on.

So, pro-government Iranians will be pro-government right up to the time government troops get ignorant and do something stupid, like shoot at mobs in an attempt to disperse them.

Now, those pro-government Iranians are anti-government. They might not be pro-US, but they don't have to be, they just have to be anti-government.

Once the US is in Khuzestan, Iran will never get them out. So, Khuezstan secedes -- again -- and we have a new country.

If the Balochs secede? Now, what? Iran cannot put down a revolt in Baluchistan and fight the US.

And, if the Kurds secede? The Kurds might see this as their only possible opportunity to create a Kurdish home-land once and for all.

The Iranians cannot put down a revolt in Baluchistan and Kurdistan at the same time, and they can't do that and fight the US, either.

Iran cannot function with the loss of 80% of its oil and natural gas. The US can use that to force the Iranian government to not only step down, but to form a whole new government and even a whole new type of government, as dictated by the US.

So, US forces never have to penetrate the interior of Iran to seize any Iranian cities or engage any Iranian ground forces.

I'm guessing the idiot WAPO author doesn't understand the difference between Shi'ia and Sunni.

The Shi'ia are exactly like Catholics and Eastern Orthodox in every way, and that includes suicide as taboo: you are barred from Heaven if you commit suicide.

So, "Shi'ia suicide bomber" is an oxymoron.

And, no, the US doesn't care what the rest of the World thinks, because the US has a plan and Iran is an essential critical part of that plan to ensure the future economic prosperity of the US.
And anybody who's studied war knows one very important thing about plans. They never survive the first moment of contact with the enemy.

16 years ago I called BS on the invasion of Iraq. I said it would be the biggest tarbaby we ever walked into. I was right.

I'm calling it now, once again. If we go after Iran, it will be the biggest redneck "watch this" moment of my life. We may never recover. As a matter of fact I think it will destroy us as a world power. Iran is not alone.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They don't appear to be extremists outside the Ayatollah hard core supporters and one of the most educated nations in the ME. There was a good deal of unrest with the protests several years ago before the deal. The agreement was putting pressure on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the right wing since the lifting of some sanctions did not improve the economy. We were heading in the right direction with a more moderate elected leader in Hassan Rouhani. all our current actions have done is to empower the IRG and the Ayatollah. Besides, why would they ever sign on to another agreement since we cant be trusted,
I fully agree with this assessment. The Trump admin bears full responsibility for pulling out of the Iran deal. Rouhani was a step in the right direction for them after the nutjob Ahmadinejad.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
I honestly don't understand Mircea's take on how he expects this war to end within 30-60 days. Iraq was sold to the public as a quick affair, yet it ended up raging for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies