Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times

Advertisements

Just an anecdote.....

A very active businessman I know runs various enterprises including massive amounts of commercial real estate, a payroll services and a farm that raises very valuable animals. He injects vast amounts of money into the economy in terms of contractors, services, taxes, etc.

So...today I am talking to him and ask him about one of his "guy fridays" - a fella who seemed to be from C. America somewhere who has worked for him for more than a decade. Turn out guy got a speeding ticket and that was the end - he's not allowed back in this country for a decade.

The young man was single, maybe 35 and had worked for 14 years. He has presented 100% of the proper paperworks to the employer and ALL taxes were paid. His pay was $20 an hour and he also got a place to live, a vehicle and generally treated like a King. As one can imagine, he was a GREAT and honest worker.

Now he is gone. So my friend found a "American" who helps him sometimes....$35 an hour and the worker is about 1/3 as efficient as the immigrant was. That is, in total, the "production" now costs the business dude 5X as much...to get an equiv. task done.

ALL the tax money paid in for the other guy is probably in our kitty.....but any tax money paid in for the new guy is likely to be spent on new guy (who knows? Maybe he will claim he was hurt and claim medicaid, etc. etc.).....

I haven't worked out all the angles, but it sure seems that this is exactly the type of immigrant who should be here on a guest visa or...after 14 years of paying taxes with multiple people to vouch for his work ethic, etc - should have a path to citizenship (he speaks perfect English, etc.).....

I'm sure many will disagree....but even the Govs of states like TX and Fl agree as they have outright said they need the extra labor given the job market.

My friend cannot afford to pay 5X as much (lazy American worker), so he'll shut down the farming operation and sell off some of his real estate.

You'd think Americans from all those poor places would be scrambling to come to Rhode Island here and work hard for north of $20 an hour (unskilled)...plus housing and a car, etc.

But they are not. Many jobs are filled with Irish and Russians through special services that import them as seasonal workers (in resorts, etc.). Still, there is no one to fill the year-round hard working jobs.

You can't find a paint for under $50 an hour.

It's a complicated situation but, IMHO, it shows the folly of the lack of true immigration reform (LAW). We need exactly the type of person we are rejecting. Meanwhile, the REALLY low skill crew in TX and FL (ag workers, roof workers, etc)....they seem too be fairly protected by the respective states.

One wonders why we don't want the "best people"...or, why the forgotten man and woman won't hightail it from the hills and come work hard for nice salaries and benefits??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
The immigrant broke the law by migrating into the US illegally and the employer broke the law by hiring them.

I don't feel sorry for either of them. They both are getting the punishment they deserve.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Well this one is easy; enter the US legally, get authorization to work, and these issues will not happen.

My family has done it, my friends have done it, millions have done it and continue to do so.

Also, are you one of the posters who keep crying for higher wages?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...1-000-min.html

Yet now you are sad that this guy has to pay someone, a legal worker, higher wages than an illegal?

Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Just an anecdote.....

A very active businessman I know runs various enterprises including massive amounts of commercial real estate, a payroll services and a farm that raises very valuable animals. He injects vast amounts of money into the economy in terms of contractors, services, taxes, etc.

So...today I am talking to him and ask him about one of his "guy fridays" - a fella who seemed to be from C. America somewhere who has worked for him for more than a decade. Turn out guy got a speeding ticket and that was the end - he's not allowed back in this country for a decade.

The young man was single, maybe 35 and had worked for 14 years. He has presented 100% of the proper paperworks to the employer and ALL taxes were paid. His pay was $20 an hour and he also got a place to live, a vehicle and generally treated like a King. As one can imagine, he was a GREAT and honest worker.

Now he is gone. So my friend found a "American" who helps him sometimes....$35 an hour and the worker is about 1/3 as efficient as the immigrant was. That is, in total, the "production" now costs the business dude 5X as much...to get an equiv. task done.

ALL the tax money paid in for the other guy is probably in our kitty.....but any tax money paid in for the new guy is likely to be spent on new guy (who knows? Maybe he will claim he was hurt and claim medicaid, etc. etc.).....

I haven't worked out all the angles, but it sure seems that this is exactly the type of immigrant who should be here on a guest visa or...after 14 years of paying taxes with multiple people to vouch for his work ethic, etc - should have a path to citizenship (he speaks perfect English, etc.).....

I'm sure many will disagree....but even the Govs of states like TX and Fl agree as they have outright said they need the extra labor given the job market.

My friend cannot afford to pay 5X as much (lazy American worker), so he'll shut down the farming operation and sell off some of his real estate.

You'd think Americans from all those poor places would be scrambling to come to Rhode Island here and work hard for north of $20 an hour (unskilled)...plus housing and a car, etc.

But they are not. Many jobs are filled with Irish and Russians through special services that import them as seasonal workers (in resorts, etc.). Still, there is no one to fill the year-round hard working jobs.

You can't find a paint for under $50 an hour.

It's a complicated situation but, IMHO, it shows the folly of the lack of true immigration reform (LAW). We need exactly the type of person we are rejecting. Meanwhile, the REALLY low skill crew in TX and FL (ag workers, roof workers, etc)....they seem too be fairly protected by the respective states.

One wonders why we don't want the "best people"...or, why the forgotten man and woman won't hightail it from the hills and come work hard for nice salaries and benefits??
His very presence violates black letter. Why do you want criminals in the country?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM

63,000 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Someone who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws is not "the best person" and aren't honest. It's a myth that illegal aliens work harder than Americans. They work cheap and that's what these greedy employers want it's not that most American workers are lazy. I am sick of that hateful, lying, anti-American BS used as an excuse to flood our country with these law breakers. How does one fill out the proper papers if they don't have a valid SS number to work? Felony ID theft is ok now?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:02 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Some Mexican drug cartel members know how to work hard. Chopping off heads with a hacksaw is not easy work that just anyone can do. Are you proposing we let them in too, because your pal needs someone who can hustle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Someone who thumbed their noses at our immigration laws is not "the best person" and aren't honest. It's a myth that illegal aliens work harder than Americans. They work cheap and that's what these greedy employers want it's not that most American workers are lazy.

They work hard because they are desperate. Comparing them with American workers is like comparing apples to oranges. We don't need human desperation to get the job done. We can do things the honest way in America. If anyone doesn't like it, they can take their sorry ass to a turd world country and live happily ever after. Human misery, suffering and desperation as far as they eye can see in those places, exactly the way some greedy business owners like it. And since they like it so much, they should go and live in the filth and squalor they demand and feel entitled to.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Just an anecdote.....

Bottom line is, you want hard working people but not pay them the wage they deserve. Illegal immigration only benefits you and the illegal, when it remains illegal.

Despicable.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:10 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The immigrant broke the law by migrating into the US illegally and the employer broke the law by hiring them.

I don't feel sorry for either of them. They both are getting the punishment they deserve.

The OP was not clear about the status of the worker he described. He didn't say he was here illegally nor did he indicate that he was. Sometimes, legal immigrants will be deported because of any violation of law, such as a speeding ticket.

I think that this outstanding worker, with his skills and dedication to good, honest labor, will land on his feet, wherever he was sent and find success------at least we can hope that is the case.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:13 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Bye Felicia!

Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The OP was not clear about the status of the worker he described. He didn't say he was here illegally nor did he indicate that he was. Sometimes, legal immigrants will be deported because of any violation of law, such as a speeding ticket.

I think that this outstanding worker, with his skills and dedication to good, honest labor, will land on his feet, wherever he was sent and find success------at least we can hope that is the case.
They dont deport people here legally for a speeding ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies