Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This doesn't come as much of a surprise but it's troubling nonetheless.
Why is it troubling?

Quote:
But time moves forward and whether everyone likes it or not, we will be living in an increasingly diverse society, regardless of whether or not everyone is comfortable with that.
Time certainly moves forward, and I agree that the future will be more diverse, but why is that a good thing? Should you want everyone who lives on your block to speak a different language? Is it wrong that I prefer the people I live with(metaphorically) to speak my language? Does that make me a bad person?

I just don't understand you people.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:10 PM

2,923 posts, read 979,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I don't care what language you speak at home or with your friends, but when it comes time to conduct business you should be able to speak English.
this +1

Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why? Prove what you say...

The link you provided above has ZERO to do with you original link. The link above talks about

race, your link in the OP as far as we can see....only talks about repubs vs. dems.....

Care to elaborate, or just continue, what you did?
Quote:
Please read this very short thread (at the time of my post, less than 3 pages, less than 30 posts), then attempt to comprehend .....if you cannot, we understand.....bless your heart....
Quote:
That contradicts the OP and the thread title...
Quote:
AND, unless everyone can see behind the PAY WALL....you want us to believe you are providing the exact same information? Hahahha....
I guess all there is to say is Bless Your Heart. Fortunately there are others in the thread who were able to read and comprehend one or both of the links I posted with the information.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I always enjoy being in places where I hear other languages...it usually gives me the hint that I am somewhere good enough to attract people from overseas and all walks of life.

Wow...so maybe the slogan of the GOP needs to be "Get off my Lawn and SPEAK AMERICAN".....that could replace the current slogan "I promise to you that I only do it with my wife".
You can attract a lot of people from overseas with free healthcare, education and welfare benefits. It's odd that anyone sees that as a plus.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Why is it troubling?

Time certainly moves forward, and I agree that the future will be more diverse, but why is that a good thing? Should you want everyone who lives on your block to speak a different language? Is it wrong that I prefer the people I live with(metaphorically) to speak my language? Does that make me a bad person?

I just don't understand you people.
And I don't understand you people. But my people are the ones taking over, so I'm ok with that.

BTW, you of course reached an erroneous conclusion that people who are multi-lingual can't communicate in English. It's the monolinguals who are the ones who limit their ability to communicate with others, of course.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
It is not against the law to feel bothered by people speaking foreign languages in public. People are entitled to feel how they want to. hate to say that but it's just the truth. Feeling bothered by something and wanting to leave a place where other languages is spoken is a personal choice. It's not persecution.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.57dc4d74d1be

This doesn't come as much of a surprise but it's troubling nonetheless. But time moves forward and whether everyone likes it or not, we will be living in an increasingly diverse society, regardless of whether or not everyone is comfortable with that.

No, it doesn't come as ANY surprise that, among the Asian, black, Hispanic, and whites, the only group whose responses were separated by political affiliation, was...whites.

Next.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:16 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,557,325 times
Quote:

This doesn't come as much of a surprise but it's troubling nonetheless. But time moves forward and whether everyone likes it or not, we will be living in an increasingly diverse society, regardless of whether or not everyone is comfortable with that.
Then it is all the more important for everyone to get on the same page, language-wise and speak English. Not Dutch, not French, not Finnish, Spanish etc., but the national language, i.e. ENGLISH.

Assimilate or Vacate.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:16 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
I guess all there is to say is Bless Your Heart. Fortunately there are others in the thread who were able to read and comprehend one or both of the links I posted with the information.

Your links were from and based on nonsense from the Washington Post. Why do you still believe ANYTHING from that paper considering that they lied to you for two years about Russian collusion? (among other things)

In fact they have been pretty much wrong about anything political since 2015.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:

I think it's more troubling that 18% of Democrats polled say it bothers them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies