Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not just cars that are expensive....

the monthly LIRR ticket is $480.... that's about 22-24 dollars a day... just for the train, then I have to add the 45 monthly ticket for the bus to my work (or I can walk the 4 miles (kinda sucks in the rain/snow))
Yep.
That's a huge expense if your employer isn't subsidizing your commute in some fashion.
And, for some, that's on top of a car payment, health insurance, day care, after school care... not to mention hours and hours that you will never get back.

It's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Interesting article - as usual, I delved into these groups a bit that are now running Minneapolis.

1). All single family zoning is abolished.
2). Off street parking is eliminated city wide
3). Parking lots being eliminated, beginning with any that are close to transit areas. Even auto repair shops can't get approval and no new gas stations built.
5). Subsidized housing is certainly part of the mix (they are Progressives now running Minneapolis )

They call subsidized housing -- Inclusionary Zoning and it's included in all projects.

Minneapolis voted for this and they will see how it works out ..... they can't go back after it begins.
Seattle will probably get the chance to do the same thing -- their City, their Choice

It would behoove the citizens to absolutely make sure they KNOW what they are voting for. Minneapolis is the Blueprint that others will follow - they won't wait to follow after they see whether the results are as promised.

The Whole Story on Minneapolis 2040 - written by a supporter
It would be interesting to see how Minneapolis evolves with all that plan 2040 stuff long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Building on the coast doesn't bring down the cost of housing just in case you haven't noticed. Developers don't want to build "affordable" they want to build what the people that can afford it want.
Yep. Wanna bet many of the buildings built have HIGH rents and amenities?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
That's rather easy. You work at a place that's a chain where you can transfer to another place that has that chain. I worked at a 7/11 part time (2nd job) that enabled me to transfer out here with a guaranteed job when I moved. It supported me long enough to find a better job.
This is a viable solution - thank you for offering it.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Building on the coast doesn't bring down the cost of housing just in case you haven't noticed. Developers don't want to build "affordable" they want to build what the people that can afford it want.
Not even that. MANY of these units are going unfilled for up to a year and a half. There is a limited supply of people that can do $2700 a month for 1 bedroom. Still they build these higher cost units and not affordable ones. As long as my boss gets paid so I get paid, Odd but not my business.

Quote:
That's rather easy. You work at a place that's a chain where you can transfer to another place that has that chain. I worked at a 7/11 part time (2nd job) that enabled me to transfer out here with a guaranteed job when I moved. It supported me long enough to find a better job.
Brilliant sir. I know people that have done this. All had lower family obligations (None were families of 5), but that is how they transitioned from the NE to the Carolinas for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
One can easily cut back on expenses and make sacrifices in the short term to have a better future. Get roommates, cook cheaply at home, don't waste money on frivolous expenses. It isn't difficult at all.
"Easily" Depends on the persons situation. Easier as a single person than those with families. Taking in roommates for example is forbidden in many leases. (including the one I rent from). 2 months rent plus 1.5 months deposit is a lot of money for many people.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
A win for developers, to squeeze more sardines in the same package and make even more money in the insane housing market in these overcrowded cities. A huge loss to homeowners with more traffic, more crowding, more parking problems and ugly-azz high-density housing.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not even that. MANY of these units are going unfilled for up to a year and a half. There is a limited supply of people that can do $2700 a month for 1 bedroom. Still they build these higher cost units and not affordable ones. As long as my boss gets paid so I get paid, Odd but not my business.

Brilliant sir. I know people that have done this. All had lower family obligations (None were families of 5), but that is how they transitioned from the NE to the Carolinas for example.

"Easily" Depends on the persons situation. Easier as a single person than those with families. Taking in roommates for example is forbidden in many leases. (including the one I rent from). 2 months rent plus 1.5 months deposit is a lot of money for many people.
There are ways to get ahead and I believe it's quite easy for the vast majority of people who have a will to do so. While there are some who truly struggle, the vast majority who claim they cannot make it are in fact living beyond their means and unwilling to make small sacrifices to be able to accumulate wealth and be prosperous in the future.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I can never figure out what makes so many people want to crowd into such a small space? What is their aversion to driving farther, and having some extra room from the other people.
Avoiding traffic. Being at walking distance. Using a car as an option and not being the only choice of getting around..

Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Which room of the house keeps the silent film canister collections?
Those canisters contain all the QAnon videos PP believes in.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
One can easily cut back on expenses and make sacrifices in the short term to have a better future. Get roommates, cook cheaply at home, don't waste money on frivolous expenses. It isn't difficult at all.
Really depends. Your right. But the thing is we’re working around problem created by poor planning. Your right about saving, but it would be much better if things were more efficient.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A win for developers, to squeeze more sardines in the same package and make even more money in the insane housing market in these overcrowded cities. A huge loss to homeowners with more traffic, more crowding, more parking problems and ugly-azz high-density housing.
If parking is a big issue aswell as single family homes, your building your city wrong..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies