Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why should a local/ state/federal government do anything about affordable housing?
Because workers need a place to live, workers a city needs to have a functioning economy, which funds the city through collected tax revenue. It's all intertwined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Really depends. Your right. But the thing is we’re working around problem created by poor planning. Your right about saving, but it would be much better if things were more efficient.
Yes, I agree with the main point of the OP here. As a conservative and an environmentalist, I want to see our land preserved for recreation and for aesthetic reasons. I also agree that much of the planning we have seen over the past 50 years has indeed exacerbated issues of affordability, segregation and the ability of some people to get to work. Not to mention. it's hideous from an aesthetic point of view and I would prefer to see our communities built in a traditional manner.

That said, at the same time, most of us has the will and the ability to move on to another place if they don't like their community.

"If you don't like the road you're heading down, start paving a new one." Dolly

Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I can never figure out what makes so many people want to crowd into such a small space? What is their aversion to driving farther, and having some extra room from the other people.
Increased amount of gasoline=$, increased wear and tear on vehicle=$, increased time commuting=QOL issue

Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How?

Seriously.

How does one save enough money for security and rent and moving expenses... while already paying to live where they are currently living?

Please do enlighten us.

Same questions for you.
I've always assumed the suggestion is if you're having that hard of a time making it, that you should sell everything and only move with the clothes on your back so you don't have to pay for movers

Old 05-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Small other detail.

Much of this high density building is high end with amenities. It will take decades for the units to come down in rent price relative to other rentals.

One of the buildings we were at my primary job is $2700 for a one bedroom. Nothing unusal. Most I am seeing are similar.
The effect it has is it lowers prices on older existing units, as people of more means who were living in the older units move into the new higher end places. It's a drainage effect

Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've always assumed the suggestion is if you're having that hard of a time making it, that you should sell everything and only move with the clothes on your back so you don't have to pay for movers
Movers? That is my point exactly. A wise and frugal person doesn't get movers. He does it himself for a fraction of the price.

I have a family I know that used to live well beyond their means, appearing to be rich, but in fact were not wealthy at all. When they lost it all, to top it off, they hired people to help them pack! Of course, that is exactly why they never managed to accumulate any wealth, but instead ended up with nothing.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Commuting is expensive both in time and money.

Many people live places without decent public transportation so have no choice but to own a vehicle.
Owning a vehicle is expensive - gas, maintenance, payments - eat into money that would be better applied to savings for emergencies, health care, etc.

"But lengthy and burdensome commutes are awful for another reason, too—they disproportionately affect the poor, making it more difficult for them to reach and hold onto jobs
Most unfair of all: When it came to the most extreme commutes in terms of price, the survey found that about 11 percent of respondents who said they paid $21 or more for their daily commute made less than $35,000. For those in the highest income bracket—making $75,000 or more—only 8 percent had such pricey commutes."

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...e-poor/395519/
What happened to telecommuting? Oh wait, the people most capable of it (techies) are the ones displacing poorer people in these cities, and those people have service type jobs which require them to commute to the places they were priced out of. This is all backwards.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not even that. MANY of these units are going unfilled for up to a year and a half. There is a limited supply of people that can do $2700 a month for 1 bedroom. Still they build these higher cost units and not affordable ones. As long as my boss gets paid so I get paid, Odd but not my business.
There is just one thing you're not seeing here...
NIMBYs and Elitists.

Affordable housing draws in the "riff raff" and muh property valuez!

Big cities are gonna big city...

Can't be having just anyone move into the area...
Can't be the shining example of an elite economic boom town/city with the minions moving in it... or be able to justify taxing the rich... plus there's impact fees for building and sub dividing... costs that get passed on down to the little guys...

Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The effect it has is it lowers prices on older existing units, as people of more means who were living in the older units move into the new higher end places. It's a drainage effect
Supply and demand..

Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What happened to telecommuting? Oh wait, the people most capable of it (techies) are the ones displacing poorer people in these cities, and those people have service type jobs which require them to commute to the places they were priced out of. This is all backwards.
Elitists and NIMBYs.

The same mentality exists in HOAs...
North East transplant retires to Florida...
Complains how Trump and his supporters/voters are racist... especially for wanting a border wall and patrolled...

Yet...

Lives in a lily white HOA, surrounded by concrete walls, and patrolled by security guards.

You can't make this up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies