Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Does it ever seem like Republicans have an awful lot of wrong information, that they seem to have a lot of wacky ideas?

Well, according to the April issue of Harper's magazine:

Fake news during the 2016 presidential election was shared by 18.1% of Republican Facebook users, but only 3.5 % of Democratic Facebook users.
Liberals deem border security as a wacky idea, so...

Old 05-30-2019, 05:14 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,829 times
"Wrong information and wacky ideas"...

How Soviet of you.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:25 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Left = correct
Right = incorrect
Left = incorrect
Right = correct

In other words
Left = divisive for anything from the right
Right = divisive for anything from the left
There can be no middle ground.

There can be no well thought out belief if it goes against your "side's" political narrative.
Cognitive dissonance will always reign supreme as long as it advances the political agenda of a particular side and drives a wedge between the differing proposed political agendas and political sides.
Always define the opposing political view by the most extreme version so your side can justify its position.

In conclusion... the opposition is the enemy and must be compelled to believe as we believe. Until that goal is achieved, we must remain at war with the opposition, even if they are our family, friends, neighbors, etc. If they don't think like us they MUST be the enemy.

I for one am sick of it.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Isn't this what human beings have done since the dawn of civilization?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:57 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Data and method

Our approach allows us to provide a comprehensive observational portrait of the individual-level characteristics related to posting articles from fake news–spreading domains to friends on social media. We link a representative online survey (N = 3500) to behavioral data on respondents’ Facebook sharing history during the campaign, avoiding known biases in self-reports of online activity (8, 9). Posts containing links to external websites are cross-referenced against lists of fake news publishers built by journalists and academics.

Thanks for the link.

Any chance I can get my five minutes back?
Quote:
Let me get this straight: You insult the source, and when someone has the courtesy to provide more information for you, you insult him, too?

Oh, I didn't realize I was being dismissive....

Any chance I can see the full list of "fake news" websites assembled by the journalists and academics mentioned?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Does it ever seem like Republicans have an awful lot of wrong information, that they seem to have a lot of wacky ideas?

Fake news during the 2016 presidential election was shared by 18.1% of Republican Facebook users, but only 3.5 % of Democratic Facebook users.
Both teams believe I consented to not fish in a lake without a "license" immediately after I slid out of a vagina in the 1970s.

I'm not sure how real this "real world" you speak of truly is based on this fact.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:18 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,256,509 times
you and the rest of the democrats don't project much...do you.?

Quote:

Old 05-30-2019, 07:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I think this response is a good example of what the OP was getting at.

First of all, no "party" latched onto Smollet. It was not on the platform of R's, D's, or anyone else that I'm aware of.

Secondly, the media (which I assume you are associating with the Democratic Party, by your comment above) did not "latch onto" anything. They reported the case as it unfolded.

First they reported that he alleged the attack
Then they reported that some believed him, some did not
Then they reported it was being investigated further, for possible shennanigans
THEN they reported that he was lying.

The media is not the court system, only someone who is out of touch with the real world would fail to understand that. The media's job is to report the news. If people are claming they were attacked, it's news. If there is a claim in DC that our POTUS "MIGHT" be colluding with a foreign power, it's news. If a right-leaning FBI leader proclaims that they are opening an investigation on a presidential candidate just 11-days before an election, it's news, and it gets reported.

What is 'out of touch' is that you let other people tell you how to interpret the world. Both parties do it. You are showing an example of how you bought a story (hook line and sinker) about the media, that just isn't in touch with the real world of how things work.

Again, I state, your response supports the OP's hypothesis. (and no, I am not ignoring that people on the far left are just as bad.)

ROFLMAO

The media, which ran with this and many other stories such as Nicholas Sandman, soley to promote a narrative of "Orange Man Bad", is just the propaganda arm of the DNC

Old 05-30-2019, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:

Just the older ones, really. I think it's by choice. They eschewed technology for a long time and once they finally took that leap onto social media, they had no clue what was real and what was not.

How many times have you seen one share what is basically a social media equivalent of a "chain letter?"

And, this isn't just Republicans/conservatives. I think you see it with other people who just never figured out technology, either.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Liberals deem border security as a wacky idea, so...
We have border security, but people still get through. We also have airport security, and yet majority of illegals get here by airplane. But blaming foreigners for all your problems has been a time tested tradition throughout history. It's a simple distraction from far greater problem....like climate change for example! You think migration is bad now? Just wait a few more decades, it's going to get far worse.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
ROFLMAO

The media, which ran with this and many other stories such as Nicholas Sandman, soley to promote a narrative of "Orange Man Bad", is just the propaganda arm of the DNC
WRONG: Soley to sell advertising. The fact is that this is what sells, because it's what the American consumer buys. It's capitalism (I love capitalism) in action. The notion that a company, with stock-holders would do anything other than do whatever generates revenue is silly and out of touch.

The reason it works for them is that the majority of Americans understand what a danger "the Orange Man" (your words) is to America. We love our country, and hate to see him dismantle all that it is.

And just to set the record strait, I've posted this many times in other discussions, but I'll repeat: I don't think all R's are bad, I don't think Conservatism is bad, and I fully understand, respect and APPRECIATE that different people have different views on what our country needs. I am 100% in support of a system that puts competing ideas up, and finds a middle ground. Both sides are guilty of failing to find that middle ground. NONE of that accounts for the Trainwreck that is Trump.

But on point, the media is not out to destroy Trump (except maybe CNN, I'll give you that, and I won't watch them either). he is doing quite well on his own, and they are reporting it, as they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies