Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
He was right we were founded on inequality. Blacks and Women were not equal back then.
It was unfair. But Katiegirl also has a point, if you are measuring by women's rights...all countries were founded on equality.

I think what he did that is making the right crazy, he said that we have some crazy gun laws
in America (of course he is correct, but expect every conservative to go crazy and swear that
some Democrat is going to come into their home and take all their guns now!!!) I am sorry, but laws like not giving guns to crazy people, kind of makes sense....it's not attacking the second amendment, it is just common sense.
Brazil has gun control, but a higher murder rate by far than we do. The criminals have plenty of guns. Their country and Mexico are the examples I think of when people say we could be like Australia. We would never be like Australia. We would be like Brazil and Mexico if they tried to get rid of guns. Large black market already set up to take advantage. It would make Prohibition look like child’s play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 09:28 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm not getting the connection from him incorrectly sourcing a quote during a speech and him being a traitor who hates USA.

The inequality part he's got a good point, when this country was founded neither blacks nor women could vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Brazil has gun control, but a higher murder rate by far than we do. The criminals have plenty of guns. Their country and Mexico are the examples I think of when people say we could be like Australia. We would never be like Australia. We would be like Brazil and Mexico if they tried to get rid of guns.

I never said that. I don't want to get rid of guns. I believe in the second amendment.
but considering all the children that are being shot in schools, etc I don't think gun legislation banning people with mental
illness history from owning a gun is a bad idea. Just like it's not a bad idea to ban people that were convicted of violent Felonies from owning guns. (I think it is a good idea...I am just not sure, if you could ever stop someone who really wants to get their hands on a gun, from owning one...even if they are crazy or a convicted felon.)

Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
Well, let's take a look at what Obama said and see if it really is not 100% accurate and true. He says "When our country was founded there was a great degree of inequality in this nation." Is that not true ? Could blacks vote ? Could Blacks own property ? Were not a lot of them slaves ?

Moreover, this country treated WOMEN with the same level of inequality as Blacks. They couldn't vote, they could not own property, and men were the ones who had all the rights. Only difference was, women were not forced into slavery...…….at least in the same sense Blacks were, but they were definitely second class citizens, who walked 10 paces behind their husbands.

So, what were you saying about the words Obama said being inaccurate ?

Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
For anyone who thinks this country was founded on equality ………..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZkDYr7qsCw

Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Provide a more credible link, and I might read it.
Seen the story covered, and seen nothing of "Hatred for America".
Um, did you watch the video? Why does it matter who posted it, when you can listen to what Obama said?

I find it a bit troublesome that he goes to another country and cannot find something uplifting to say about the US. He also makes the mistake of holding the writers of the Declaration of Independence to the standards of today.

Does anyone know if he took the trouble to point out that the Constitution includes the mechanism by which those inequalities were eliminated? The brief clip does not let us know.

He certainly needs to at least read his speeches before he gives them. If he did and did not catch that the quote was from the Declaration of Independence that says something, doesn't it? No President of the US should ever make that mistake.

The thesis of the clip does exhibit a certain disdain for the roots of the United States.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
I never said that. I don't want to get rid of guns. I believe in the second amendment.
but considering all the children that are being shot in schools, etc I don't think gun legislation banning people with mental
illness history from owning a gun is a bad idea. Just like it's not a bad idea to ban people that were convicted of violent Felonies from owning guns. (I think it is a good idea...I am just not sure, if you could ever stop someone who really wants to get their hands on a gun, from owning one...even if they are crazy or a convicted felon.)
I wish we could do something about guns, but I recognize the futility in a country with our gun culture and amount of guns. I see you do too.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Obama is living rent free in some Trumplings (very roomy) skull buckets.
Are you saying that Barry is very tiny?

Old 06-02-2019, 10:28 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
At best.

He's a traitor and a US hater. Always has and always will. It’s a disgrace that this man became President of the United States.

BTW...So, how many of you believe that this man is a, U.S.Constitutional scholar? I need a show of hands.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-speech-video/
On the other hand, he didn't bash our intelligence agencies.

And side with autocrats while denigrating our allies.

Or put his unqualified kids and in-laws into his cabinet.

Or run massive conflicts of interest by running.his private business empire while serving as President.

Or obstruct investigations.

Or deride media as "enemy of the people," even when they made up lies about his birthplace and religious beliefs.

Or selectively ridiculed veterans and gold star families, after a personal history of draft dodging.

You have a really perverse idea of what loyalty and love of country means.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Obama Deep Seated Hatred Of America ...

It is absolutely necessary to trot out b-b-bb-but ... Obama! at a time when Trump is up to his eyebrows in a cesspit of troubles of his own making. Good job.

Putin sends his love and a check is in the mail.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Um, did you watch the video? Why does it matter who posted it, when you can listen to what Obama said?

I find it a bit troublesome that he goes to another country and cannot find something uplifting to say about the US. He also makes the mistake of holding the writers of the Declaration of Independence to the standards of today.

Does anyone know if he took the trouble to point out that the Constitution includes the mechanism by which those inequalities were eliminated? The brief clip does not let us know.

He certainly needs to at least read his speeches before he gives them. If he did and did not catch that the quote was from the Declaration of Independence that says something, doesn't it? No President of the US should ever make that mistake.

The thesis of the clip does exhibit a certain disdain for the roots of the United States.
Quote:
No, in order to watch the video I would have to go to that sight.
Videos can be doctored and spliced together to show a misrepresentation of what someone was saying.
I do research, and I do not go to sites that spew fake news, lies, conspiracy theories and propaganda.
I have seen video clips of his speech..and saw nothing that I consider offensive at all. He told the truth.
Quote:

I find it a bit troublesome that he goes to another country and cannot find something uplifting to say about the US.
I have heard him say many uplifting things about America in the past.
But what he did say, was true....Women and Blacks were not treated equally in that day. Heck even really poor white man were not treated equally...only those who owned property could vote. That isn't a lie, it's the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. But you have to acknowledge it and learn from it.

As quoted from Ambient above
Quote:

On the other hand, he didn't bash our intelligence agencies.

And side with autocrats while denigrating our allies.

Or put his unqualified kids and in-laws into his cabinet.

Or run massive conflicts of interest by running.his private business empire while serving as President.

Or obstruct investigations.

Or deride media as "enemy of the people," even when they made up lies about his birthplace and religious beliefs.

Or selectively ridiculed veterans and gold star families, after a personal history of draft dodging.
-Ambient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies