Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Doesnt Ron Paul hate the poor and the disabled, and that is why he advocates ending any public support for people who are born disabled or for children involved in car accidents?
He hates people like you who make things up. lol His economic policies reduce the amount of poor people. Research on how he takes care of his patients then comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Blame Ronald Reagan for deregulation, but not what Goldman Sachs, the Federal National Mortgage Association, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, the FHA, the Federal Reserve Board, AIG, Countrywide, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, etc., to play around with LIBOR or CDOs or subprime loans and derivatives and hookers and every other damned thing that got bailed out by my tax money and the johns of said organizations got rewarded... did!

But then Obama and that republican John McCain crossed the aisles wink-wink! To rescue us all!

I'd chalk that down for about a trillion squandered. Where did Obama squander the other 9 trillion?

Oh yeah.

Like all the money Trump gave our good buddies Iran, China and North Korea?

As to your bloated carcass comment about your President of the United States Donald J Trump...

Waa! Not My Pwesident! Waa!
WTF are you talking about. Carter was the man as far as deregulation. And the word is praise, not blame. As if any deregulation hurt the economy.

You do know the ones you named, AIG, Countrywide, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, among others, never combined investment with commercial banking don't you?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:00 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bingo.

If we talk about heath care, first thing outta Laura Ingraham’s mouth is “how do we pay for it?”

Say we’re going to send 120,000 troops to the Persian Gulf, NO ONE asks “how do we pay for it?”

In fact, they get mad at the mention of paying for it.

That is why I am a libertarian. Both parties are incredibly wasteful with "my" money.

I always ask "how do we pay for it?"

Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is why I am a libertarian. Both parties are incredibly wasteful with "my" money.

I always ask "how do we pay for it?"
All I know is that there’s ALWAYS money for losing wars and no one questions it.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Gee who could have predicted this:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hil...YIXIVd89hRgi5U

All it did is blow up the deficit. And guess what brilliant Trump has done? He's started multiple trade wars that are likely going to cause a recession in 2020 or 2021. This next recession could be long and protracted. Trump's brilliance was to give a huge tax cut when it wasn't needed, had 0 effect and blew up the deficit. Now that card can't be used when it is is really needed for the looming recession.
1. it gave nearly everyone a NEEDED tax cut, especially us middleclass

2. a recession/correction is overdue, and would already be here if hitlery had gotten elected

3. obozo had trillion dollar deficits for 5 of his eight years...including his last full one, fy16

Old 06-04-2019, 01:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 877,303 times
Quote:
The federal government collected a record $1,665,484,000,000 in taxes last year, making it the best year of income for the government on record. "The real federal individual income tax revenues collected in calendar 2018 were $9,312,450,000 more than the real individual income tax revenues collected in calendar year 2017," CNS reports, even though 2017 was itself a record breaking year for tax receipts (that year, the federal government collected an astounding $1,656,171,550,000).
https://www.dailywire.com/news/43496...-emily-zanotti

The government doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/43496...-emily-zanotti

The government doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem.
Nice meme. I hear it all time. And what spending would you want to cut?

Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Gee who could have predicted this:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hil...YIXIVd89hRgi5U

All it did is blow up the deficit. And guess what brilliant Trump has done? He's started multiple trade wars that are likely going to cause a recession in 2020 or 2021. This next recession could be long and protracted. Trump's brilliance was to give a huge tax cut when it wasn't needed, had 0 effect and blew up the deficit. Now that card can't be used when it is is really needed for the looming recession.
I voted Trump without hesitation and I called it: The tax cuts were a terrible idea. As for the tariffs - I like Trump's hard line attitude here, but I think a lot of this is a bluff.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 06-04-2019 at 03:52 AM..

Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
WTF are you talking about. Carter was the man as far as deregulation. And the word is praise, not blame. As if any deregulation hurt the economy.

You do know the ones you named, AIG, Countrywide, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, among others, never combined investment with commercial banking don't you?
I'm really mixed on deregulation - after lots of experience with it.

As usual, the GOP took it too far (Enron, the 2008 Crash, the S&L Crisis) and that wiped out so much money that's it hard to even count it.

The basic idea is OK.....and if we were a moral and ethical populace it might work out. But it has not and it does not.

OK, so now I get an electric bill which gives me a choice of 25 Energy companies I can use. 25? A great thing, right? Except......one company obviously does the delivery and the end result is that all the prices are within a couple percent. Why bother? - and I don't.

Here is another giant step backwards of deregulation. Pittsburgh is a dynamic and growing city, lauded for being one of the best current places to move and live. Millions live there happily, including some of my family. Back in the "regulated" days it was really easy to get there. Nonstop hops were available from any mid-sized city. I live a nine hour drive away. So I check out flights from Hartford, Providence, New Haven, Albany....NOT ONE DIRECT FLIGHT FROM ANYWHERE.

Oh, I can get a high priced change-planes fare...tried it once and ended up taking us from 8am to 10pm and 6 hours of driving after second plane was canceled. That's the part of deregulation you don't think about. But, I can get to Florida for $60 or the West Coast for $150.

A properly regulation public transportation system should force the carriers to fly routes that are marginally profitably in exchange for access to gravy routes. I'd rather pay $5 more for flights to Florida and be able to get to Pittsburgh.

Basically, we are older so we are sentenced to not being able to see our children and grandchildren there because they are no trains that don't take 12 hours, 9 hours of driving is ridiculous and there are no decent planes. In China or Japan or Europe there would be bullet trains - a 3 hour comfy ride. Are we more developed...or not?

This is no way to run a country. If we are going to subsidize cars (which we do) and planes (which we also do), at least have a way to get from here to there. We're not talking small towns...but areas with well over a million in population.

One interesting meme had a picture championing innovation and free markets...and what it had was a side view of every mid-size SUV/CUV made...had to be two dozen of them. You cannot tell them apart! In fact, I know so since in one of our parking lots I can't tell the Rav4 from the BMW in the same color. But we cannot find a decent wagon to buy.

Some stuff is so evident.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Nice meme. I hear it all time. And what spending would you want to cut?
I promise they don't want to cut their own health care subsidies and unless they are paying 11K per person per year in their family, they aren't paying the true cost.

They probably don't want to cut the security state as they just attended a Mem. Day Parade and pledged to support the troops. That's about $12,000 per year per family.

After those two, most else are rounding errors.....other than interest on tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies