Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
My retired mom on a fixed income pays over $300 a month for her "free" medicare.
Actually my case is far worse. I would start out by pointing out that I never paid a single dime for medical insurance until I went on MEDICARE. Now and forever will cost me over $1000 per month.

But I also bill upward of $6,000 per month gross and $2,000 net...so I need it. And probably in the last month I had $25,000 gross and $10,000 net.

And to make it worse my prior employer would have covered me forever except for MEDICARE.

Simplest thing is simply get rid of all this nonsense and cover health care. The experience of other nations makes it clear it is a winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What a load of guano!

Support by the uninsured for a program which picks the pockets and negatively impacts health care for those ALREADY covered will always be popular, because the uninsured "want in."

Support DWINDLES with specifics-- particularly those which increase the cost and change the care for currently very satisfied Medicare recipients.

Enough with the Big Lie.

https://www.apnews.com/4516833e7fb644c9aa8bcc11048b2169
Alrighty then. They will be happy to go with Medicaid instead. Totally free and the accompanying drug card gets them any and all drugs with a co-pay of $3. Have it your way.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Newsflash: That's the purpose of Medicaid.

What those currently (and happily) covered don't want, is Medicaid for All. And that is really what "Medicare for All" will be.

If the Fools On the Hill were scared poopless as constituents descended on their 2009 Town Hall meetings over the then-pending health care bill, they ain't seen nothin' yet.
Exactly! May as well have people pay what they can toward their Medicaid/Medicare for all. Or do you want it to be provided at no cost?

Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 PM

18,806 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the presidential candidates advocating medicare for all never talk about what this will cost middle class americans, those making over $65,000, according to Bernie's own study.

Medicare for all would simply be another poorly managed, colossal system under the federal government's control like the Veterans administration health care system.

If the government controls the funding do you really believe it will have no say in how health care services are delivered? What about the abundance of Medicare regulations already in place? The government mandates those, not the healthcare providers.

Medicare on a 'small scale' is rife with problems, what can we expect if it was "for all?"
Medicare for all would most likely be similar to Medicare, not the VA system. The problem with the VA is that the Gov't owns the HC delivery. With Medicare the bulk of HC is delivered by the private sector.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 PM

18,806 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually my case is far worse. I would start out by pointing out that I never paid a single dime for medical insurance until I went on MEDICARE. Now and forever will cost me over $1000 per month.

But I also bill upward of $6,000 per month gross and $2,000 net...so I need it. And probably in the last month I had $25,000 gross and $10,000 net.

And to make it worse my prior employer would have covered me forever except for MEDICARE.

Simplest thing is simply get rid of all this nonsense and cover health care. The experience of other nations makes it clear it is a winner.
I can't understand how Medicare costs you $1000/mo. As a high earner I pay closer to $400.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In an era where Medicare-for-All is now overwhelmingly popular amongst the general populace, a new study shows that the US would see significant savings from implementing such a system, in addition to improving the economy and well-being/mental health.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...us-51-trillion
Medicare for All is most likely popular with the deadbeats and families with children who come out on the winning side. As a single, childless guy who pays a lot in taxes, how exactly would I benefit? It would be just another gov't program that benefits nonproductive people. One of the crappy things that Ocare did was make mandatory the "essential benefits". I should have the right to opt out of maternity benefits since I would NEVER need them. Those getting pregnant all of the time should pay their own way for a change.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Medicare for All is most likely popular with the deadbeats and families with children who come out on the winning side. As a single, childless guy who pays a lot in taxes, how exactly would I benefit? It would be just another gov't program that benefits nonproductive people. One of the crappy things that Ocare did was make mandatory the "essential benefits". I should have the right to opt out of maternity benefits since I would NEVER need them. Those getting pregnant all of the time should pay their own way for a change.
If you were to experience a freak health crisis (and they do/can happen, no one's invincible), you won't have to worry about suddenly having to cough up tens of thousands of dollars to pay off the high deductible and premiums to cover your medical costs.

It works just like car insurance. It's a very low chance that you'll ever get into accident, but if/when you do, the insurance exists to cover the damage and even help you buy a new car if it's totaled. It also covers you if, heaven forbid, you're at fault in the accident and the other car owner comes after you for reimbursement.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
appeal to morons incapable of thinking, just feeling.
Ahem...

Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
You would take advantage of the very healthcare you are already providing, with your taxes, to the deadbeats and families with children.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:08 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You would take advantage of the very healthcare you are already providing, with your taxes, to the deadbeats and families with children.
That’s why deadbeats should have access to free condoms, contraception, and abortion. It’s probably the most cost-effective government spending there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies