Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No Big Pharm is because it's protected from competition by the big government you love.

Their healthcare is different than ours. It hasn't got less expensive here with Obamacare now has it?

Crony Capitalism run by the big government you love baby!

Nothing to do with the free market baby! I can understand how big government supporters have been so hoodwinked into fighting against their own self interest. They are uneducated, ignorant, and aren't adult enough to take care of themselves.

Common sense starts with understanding the crony capitalism that comes with the big government you love, squelches competition. Competition improves efficiency.
Apparently those countries with socialized medicine are able to keep drug prices under control. Why the US has higher drug prices than other countries

Now please explain how "big government" is allowing drug prices to become exorbitantly high in the US. I'll wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Part A isn't free either. Medicare recipients pay into the system all their working lives, even if they get on Medicare prematurely via disability. They pay for it via taxes. Conservatives conveniently forget even welfare recipients pay for their benefits via tax dollars. Everyone pays into the system they use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We pay taxes for a growing list of non-employed to receive medical benefits (Medicaid, SSDI) and then we pay for ourselves. You like paying for others while having to pay for yourself too? Why not have the tax payers benefit?
Here we go again. I'm going to correct a common misconception people have about Medicaid, Medicare, and SSDI: the idea that we are freeloaders who don't pay into the system.

A. We paid into the system before we got on it. You have to in order to qualify for Medicare and SSDI.

B. Many people on disability work because disability doesn't pay enough for people to live on. I am on SSDI and work seasonally. It isn't easy, but I do it because I couldn't make my rent without it. Before posters flame me for working, consider that I am paying taxes back into the system that I am using with my above board seasonal job that SS is fully aware of, rather than earning money under the table and stealing from the government.

C. Many Medicaid recipients work as well, so they are also paying taxes into the system. Medicaid is based on income and if a person has a lousy job that doesn't offer insurance benefits, they can still qualify for Medicaid.

In short, the idea that SSDI, SS, or Medicaid beneficiaries are freeloaders who don't pay into the system is a myth. They are either paying taxes now, paid taxes before they received benefits, or both. So those taxpayers with this superiority complex can get off their high horse about it, because many more people are paying taxes into the system than they believe.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We pay taxes for a growing list of non-employed to receive medical benefits (Medicaid, SSDI) and then we pay for ourselves. You like paying for others while having to pay for yourself too? Why not have the tax payers benefit?
You can be employed and still receive Medicaid. The income threshold for a household of one is $17, 237.

And *I* don't mind paying for others because I have the intelligence and foresight to realize and understand that it could be me who needs those services one day.

I AM receiving those services, as I am on NYS Marketplace insurance with an advanced premium tax credit because I can't get employer-sponsored insurance at this time even though I am working. My projected 2019 income is just below the threshold for an APTC as it is, because I lost a month of wages due to being unemployed from March 8 to April 8.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 06-09-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Here we go again. I'm going to correct a common misconception people have about Medicaid, Medicare, and SSDI: the idea that we are freeloaders who don't pay into the system.

A. We paid into the system before we got on it. You have to in order to qualify for Medicare and SSDI.

B. Many people on disability work because disability doesn't pay enough for people to live on. I am on SSDI and work seasonally. It isn't easy, but I do it because I couldn't make my rent without it. Before posters flame me for working, consider that I am paying taxes back into the system that I am using with my above board seasonal job that SS is fully aware of, rather than earning money under the table and stealing from the government.

C. Many Medicaid recipients work as well, so they are also paying taxes into the system. Medicaid is based on income and if a person has a lousy job that doesn't offer insurance benefits, they can still qualify for Medicaid.

In short, the idea that SSDI, SS, or Medicaid beneficiaries are freeloaders who don't pay into the system is a myth. They are either paying taxes now, paid taxes before they received benefits, or both. So those taxpayers with this superiority complex can get off their high horse about it, because many more people are paying taxes into the system than they believe.
The majority of those on Medicaid and SSDI receive much more than they paid/pay in.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
BEFORE Medicare, your health care insurance company WOULD cover it.
Assuming you work at a job that offers insurance and you work on up to your death bed. Not sure about your plans but most folks retire around 65/66.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You can be employed and still receive Medicaid. The income threshold for a household of one is $17, 237.
Many of us who work a full time job and support Medicaid/SSDI/Medicare are not seeking to expel those on it, we simply want to benefit ourselves with one healthcare insurance risk pool in which everyone pays what they can and everyone qualifies.

Last edited by jojajn; 06-09-2019 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Would you mind sharing the nature of your disability and exactly what type of seasonal work you do?

Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Canadians live longer than Americans.

Healthcare spending is 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP.

Universal healthcare works.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

And *I* don't mind paying for others because I have the intelligence and foresight to realize and understand that it could be me who needs those services one day.

I AM receiving those services, as I am on NYS Marketplace insurance with an advanced premium tax credit because I can't get employer-sponsored insurance at this time even though I am working. My projected 2019 income is just below the threshold for an APTC as it is, because I lost a month of wages due to being unemployed from March 8 to April 8.

You misunderstand my posts here. The working class is getting hammered with taxes to pay for those who have the largest medical expenses (Medicare) and those who don't earn enough. We are carrying our luggage and those of too many others.

The working class would like to benefit also as we pay for all the others as well as ourselves.

Lets make it one big medical insurance pool for all, a.k.a. Medicare for all.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canadians live longer than Americans.

Healthcare spending is 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP.

Universal healthcare works.
For some yes, others no, and in Canada. You can keep it. I prefer the opposite approach.
No govt involvement, more choices, greater innovation, no cronyism and competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies