Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,098,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You missed the point.... let me clarify.. it is irrelevant.. privacy is right as well.

No one's stopping you from flying to Germany or Thailand, or driving to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM

30,277 posts, read 11,917,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post

It is illegal in Mexico but tolerated in certain areas.

Just drive to your nearest city in the bad part of town in America. You pretend that the fact its illegal means its not happening all the time.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Just drive to your nearest city in the bad part of town. You pretend that the fact its illegal means its not happening all the time.

Go ahead.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM

15,079 posts, read 10,152,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I never said all prostitutes are any of those things. I 100% stand by the statement that for most women it is not truly voluntary and they are desperate and that it is not something most women aspire to do, even in the best circumstances.

I also have experience working in sex crimes in general. Including prostitution and trafficking. And studying it from a legal aspect.
Again.. incorrect assumption since you only have observation from the crime aspect of it. Not all sex workers are trafficked.. nor will ever run into a sex crime enforcement.

Most a voluntary.

Most of the involuntary victims are kept in that situation with no escape in part because of the illegal nature of their work. The vary laws that are suppose to protect them are turning them into victims. There are case studies regarding decriminalizing of minor in prostitution in CA... they are treated as victims rather than criminals and the johns are prosecuted under statutory rape which carries a higher penality. These minors come forward because they no longer fear being arrested. Now just imagine if that were applied to prostitutes in general.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,612,627 times
Quote:
I never said all prostitutes are any of those things. I 100% stand by the statement that for most women it is not truly voluntary and they are desperate and that it is not something most women aspire to do, even in the best circumstances.

I also have experience working in sex crimes in general. Including prostitution and trafficking. And studying it from a legal aspect.
For most women, it’s voluntary.

What you are talking about, street prostitutes and brothels, are the minority.

The vast majority of prostitution, trading sex for money or other favors, happens voluntarily.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM

15,079 posts, read 10,152,158 times
Quote:
Again.. you missed the point.

How does my flying over there grant my friends safety from victimization? dominion and right over body? How does me flying over there protect the privacy between two consenting adults?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Go ahead.

Go ahead and what? I have no use for prostitutes. I also believe marijuana should be legal but I don't use it at all. I am looking at what is best for society not personal gain.

Prohibition before, the war on drugs and our prostitution laws have shown over time that they fail to achieve their objectives. Just otherwise good people go to jail and illegal enterprises flourish.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,038,474 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion. And in a perfect world prostitution would not exist. I would argue that overall women will be in a better situation with it legal than how it is now. Not every single woman but a majority. Not perfect by any means but better. You seem to agree with that. So I don't get what point you are trying to make.

What realistic solution outside of legalization do you have?
I don't have a realistic solution unfortunately. I don't think anyone does which is why problems persist even in places where it is legal. There probably is no ideal one, you either have to make it illegal and punish either the customers or prostitutes or both or you have to legalize it, regulate it to make it as safe as possible, and continue to fight the trafficking that won't go away despite it being legal. My concern though like I said (which really was my point) is that I don't like the social implications of legalized prostitution or prostitution in general, but legalizing it I think almost endorses it, makes it okay - well, it obviously makes it okay. No one has to agree with me but that is my opinion, that commodifying sex is bad for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again.. incorrect assumption since you only have observation from the crime aspect of it. Not all sex workers are trafficked.. nor will ever run into a sex crime enforcement.

Most of the involuntary victims are kept in that situation with no escape because of the illegal nature of their work. The vary laws that are suppose to protect them are turning them into victims. There are case studies regarding decriminalizing of minor in prostitution in CA... they are treated as victims rather than criminals and the johns are prosecuted under statutory rape which carries a higher penality. These minors come forward because they no longer fear being arrested. Now just imagine if that were applied to prostitutes in general.
Again, I did not say they are all trafficked. Me saying they are desperate and have no other options is not the same as me saying they are trafficked.

Women do not aspire to be prostitutes. Not even legal ones. And even legal prostitution is largely frowned upon by society.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and what? I have no use for prostitutes. I also believe marijuana should be legal but I don't use it at all. I am looking at what is best for society not personal gain.

Prohibition, the war on drugs and our prostitution laws have shown over time that they fail to achieve their objectives.

What's best for our society is that people don't support those industries. We aren't Mexico, we aren't Europe, we aren't Thailand. If that's what you want, go teach English in those countries.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have a realistic solution unfortunately.
There is no perfect solution. But regulating it instead of chasing it around with the black market is the better solution. In my opinion. In did not start this tread trying to imply legalization is perfect. Its just a step in the right direction.

And what about male prostitutes who have women customers or gay prostitutes with male customers? That is fine?

Quote:
Again, I did not say they are all trafficked. Me saying they are desperate and have no other options is not the same as me saying they are trafficked.

Women do not aspire to be prostitutes. Not even legal ones. And even legal prostitution is largely frowned upon by society.
Lots of people have jobs and careers that they did not aspire to have. Most peoples have lives do not go exactly as planned. If you are 30 and working in fast food things are not as planned. There are lots of people in that situation.

And when society deems something illegal its frowned upon. 30 years ago growing pot was frowned upon by most. Today that has changed in most of America.

The only possible way to stamp out prostitution is to have a police state where everyone is monitored and watched and no one has any rights. That is not something that I want.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-10-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies