Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a presidential candidate alert the FBI to foreign adversaries trying to give them “dirt” on t
Yes 153 81.38%
No 35 18.62%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Every single person running for President in 2020 would take dirt on their opponents from a foreign source. Most would even offer favors in return. The only thing that makes Trump unique here is that he is just being up front and frankly admitting that he'd look at the info. I doubt he's really thought through what he'd do next, because after all, this is Donald Trump we're talking about.

I'm still not understanding where the crime or treason or heinous evil is here. You have a hypothetical source of information. Let's get more specific. Let's say that Iran's intelligence agencies provide absolute proof that Joe Biden is a serial rapist. You listen to that source and you release the information because the American people have the right to know about it. Maybe you report it to the FBI, maybe you don't. The only crime here would be Joe Biden being a serial rapist, so what in the world is everyone going on about?
OK, let's go with hypotheticals. Someone gets Trump's tax returns and offers them to a foreign government who in turn offers them to Biden in hope of favorable treatment should Biden be elected. Cool? Not cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The point is pretty obvious if you think about it. The Chinese MSS is an evil organization. I think we're all on the same page there. But they exist and they are one of the most effective information gathering services on the planet. If they just happen to freely share useful information, then listening to that information isn't a crime. Acting on that information isn't a crime. And failing to report it to the cops or the FBI or the CIA or whoever else also isn't a crime. Not "calling the cops" isn't a crime.

One of the biggest problems with your theory: Journalists would be legally required to burn all anonymous foreign sources.

Also, if there are some specific laws constraining Presidents or Presidential candidates, then it's on you to share them.

But all of that is just interesting theory and "what if" speculation. Did Donald Trump actually say that he would not let the FBI or some other US intelligence agency know if he got so hot dirt on an opponent? More importantly, has he actually done such a thing? We can debate back and forth as to whether failing to disclose would be criminal, but you haven't actually established that he intends to do so. So what is your point??

On another point, when did the FBI become some kind of benevolent big-brother that can always be trusted and must never be doubted? They've got a pretty damn corrupt history, so why are they being put on some kind of pedestal?
Are you not aware that these laws apply to people running for office who are part of political campaigns? We aren't talking about citizens or journalists. You're not applying this correctly-and it is certainly illegal for someone running for office.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Republicans on the Hill been pretty quiet about what Trump said so far. I guess they have to think about it over night, to see how to address it.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
It's kinda cute when statists jockey for the moral high ground.

Almost as if they have principles.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Republicans on the Hill been pretty quiet about what Trump said so far. I guess they have to think about it over night, to see how to address it.
Party over country.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
OK, let's go with hypotheticals. Someone gets Trump's tax returns and offers them to a foreign government who in turn offers them to Biden in hope of favorable treatment should Biden be elected. Cool? Not cool?
Wouldn't care one way or the other. It would neither increase nor decrease my chances of voting for a candidate if they got a hot scoop on a candidate from a foreign source. In this case, I'd be a lot more interested in whether Trump actually did some great and terrible wrong thing.

Trump's tax returns is the Democrats chasing a mirage. It is perfectly likely that Donald Trump broke the law and did some shady stuff over and over and over again. If any evidence of it existed in the tax returns -- which the IRS and FBI already have right now -- he'd have been tried and convicted of those crimes long ago. He'd have never run for President because he'd have been a convicted felon and probably in prison. Trump has some of the most expensive accountants in the world. Anything shady or illegal that he might have done never made it into his tax returns. Remember the leaked tax return that Rachel Maddow was so excited to reveal to the world. Whole lot of nothing there. If Trump actually is some heinous criminal -- which honestly wouldn't surprise me -- his tax returns aren't going to be the big reveal that proves it. You could get every single one and it'd just be a big fat disappointment, and the Dems would have to invent talking points out of thin air to justify their obsession with the things.

But if you have a better example to offer, I'm more than happy to run down that hypothetical. In my example, Joe Biden is a serial rapist. Would you hold it against Trump for using a foreign source to reveal that fact? I don't know about you, but I'd be a lot more interested in the fact that a man seeking to become the most powerful person on the planet is a serial rapist. Wouldn't you agree? Same goes the other way. If absolute proof that Trump has murdered business rivals over the years is brought to light by Russian agents, I don't honestly care what the source is. I'm more interested in Trump being a murderer. The source of the information might be questionable, but if the info is good then who cares where it came from.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Even Al Gore knew to go to the feds when things got sketchy. That's saying something.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Are you not aware that these laws apply to people running for office who are part of political campaigns? We aren't talking about citizens or journalists. You're not applying this correctly-and it is certainly illegal for someone running for office.
I don't honestly know what laws, rules and regulation govern Presidential candidates. Are there limits on what sources of information they are allowed to listen to? Okay, please specify exactly what those limitations are. Are they required to report to big-brother FBI in certain specific cases of interaction with foreign people or entities? Okay, what are the rules for that? Is there actually laws on the books stating that you have to tell the FBI ... well ... anything ever?

If Donald Trump hears from the government of New Zealand solid evidence that Bernie Sanders is a pedophile with hundreds of victims, specifically what constraints is he now under if he wants to share that information with the American people? Does he now need permission signed in triplicate from the FBI before he's allowed to make the information public?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Even Al Gore knew to go to the feds when things got sketchy. That's saying something.
I’m waiting for a Trump supporter to say what’s the lowest Trump would go? I’m saying he’s like a moral black hole in which light itself cannot escape. Whatever he thinks he can get away with he has no compunction in doing.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
How would he know if things were sketchy if he didn't listen ?

That's really what this thread is all about !!!
People aren't listening to what was said but they are hearing what they want to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies