Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
That is a very good question that should be asked. Every reasonable person must concede that there is some point prior to birth when a fetus becomes human. I'm not sure I think conception is that point, but there is some point in between conception and birth when the fetus can and should be considered a person separate and distinct from the mother.

I don't know exactly when that is.
I can agree with that. Our laws support that now. Late term abortions are 1% of all abortions. Last I heard less than 5 doctors in the US preform them. Also need several doctors to sign off on it. It isn’t done on healthy babies. Sadly these are very wanted babies.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find the premise of the OP's question to be annoying. At its essence, what it's saying is that someone created a problem (by having children that they didn't want), yet it's someone else's fault (the pro-life community) for not committing vast amounts of money and time to fix it.

If you want to avoid having unwanted children, here's how you do it:

1. Don't have sex.
2. If you disregard No. 1, use protection.
3. If you disregard No. 2 (or it fails), consider re-ordering your life so that you can raise your child.
4. If you are unable or unwilling to do No. 3, put the child up for adoption.

The only real role that pro-lifers have in this sequence is No. 4, by advocating for improvements to the foster care and adoption systems. But to imply that we are somehow responsible for the unwanted children of others, simply because we don't want to see them killed, isn't right.
Choices that matter to "Prolifers"
Abstinence
Birth control
Motherhood
Adoption

Choices that matter to "ProChoicers"
Abortion

Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you who are totally against abortion, what are you going to do when women have babies they don't want and can't afford? Are you going to take them in? Pay for them? Comforting these babies when they wake up crying four times each night? Pro-life means respecting life from cradle to grave, after all. What's the plan after they are born? After these bans are enacted, there are consequences. This is real life. It's messy. It's not ideal. The problem won't magically solve itself just because Louisiana bans abortion. Once they are born, our taxes will go up, because the children will need CHIP, SNAP, and Food Stamps. Are you willing to pay more taxes?
They’ll be sent off to die in wars. That’s the way it’s always worked, historically.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,816,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Abstinence
Birth control
Motherhood
Adoption

Abortion
Wrong. Pro Choice means supporting whatever the woman chooses be it motherhood, adoption or abortion. “Prolife” means forcing a woman to choose between motherhood or adoption if she has an unintended pregnancy. Pro Choice means supporting those choices and the right to abortion.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Abstinence
Birth control
Motherhood
Adoption

Abortion
Pro choice

Birth
Adoption
Abortion

Supporting a woman’s choice

Old 06-13-2019, 04:58 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,142,200 times
What Are Pro-Life People Going to Do with These Unwanted Children after Birth?

soylent green.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,730 times
Make them sing songs about Jesus and send them to far away parts of the globe to sing songs about Jesus.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The pro-death baby daddies will have to pay child support. Maybe the next time they'll choose a robot instead of a woman.
That's hard to enforce. My sister-in-law was impregnated (planned) by her fiance during their engagement (wedding planned and everything), but a month or so beforehand, he abandoned her and his unborn son.

Fortunately, she's a devout Christian, so the idea of abortion was unthinkable. However, it's been a serious struggle raising her son all on her own.

She recently tried to get the father to at least pay some child support, but he retaliated by demanding full custody of the child (despite refusing to ever be in the picture before). He said it'd be cheaper to just take the kid than to pay $150/month child support (sounds to me like he's planning to just neglect him, unfortunately).

My husband and I joke about adopting him, but if she really asked us, I think we actually would.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,957 times
Unfortunately they will give them all the welfare and food stamps they desire. Republicans never cut handouts anymore and I think they do this to appease the pro-life movement. No wonder our national debt is so high right now.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,236,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Unfortunately they will give them all the welfare and food stamps they desire. Republicans never cut handouts anymore and I think they do this to appease the pro-life movement. No wonder our national debt is so high right now.
No, our national debt isn’t high due to food stamps. The debt is ballooning because of tax cuts to corporations and the most wealthy among us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.