Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,189,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because the "renewable" energy industry is comparatively small compared even to Fracking which has produced a lot of new jobs. Renewables do not, and can not fulfill our energy needs. Not by a long shot. ..
Care to place a wager on that? As I type this California is getting exactly 50% of its generation from renewables.

The very minute that cheap reliable storage is perfected solar and wind take over. Storage is the last nut that needs to be cracked. When it happens solar energy will be used 24 hours a day. Excess solar power can be redistributed to cloudy parts of the country that don't get much sun. A grid upgrade solves that issue.

And it will happen based on free market competition. With nukes and fossil fuels you have to pay for installing the plant plus the cost of fuel to run it. With solar and wind, you pay for installing the plant. That's it. The cost of the "fuel" is free.

Even if climate change was not an issue solar and wind would take over, just based on economics. They don't need subsidies to beat fossil fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM

20,210 posts, read 9,117,582 times
let's get this passed and start the exodus out of the state.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 AM

34,286 posts, read 18,664,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Care to place a wager on that? As I type this California is getting exactly 50% of its generation from renewables.

The very minute that cheap reliable storage is perfected solar and wind take over. Storage is the last nut that needs to be cracked. When it happens solar energy will be used 24 hours a day. Excess solar power can be redistributed to cloudy parts of the country that don't get much sun. A grid upgrade solves that issue.

And it will happen based on free market competition. With nukes and fossil fuels you have to pay for installing the plant plus the cost of fuel to run it. With solar and wind, you pay for installing the plant. That's it. The cost of the "fuel" is free.

Even if climate change was not an issue solar and wind would take over, just based on economics. They don't need subsidies to beat fossil fuel.
What are you paying per KWH in L.A., SF, and other areas? Yes solar and wind need subsidies. They are viable compared to fossil at all, especially if cost is and issue, and cost is ALWAYS an issue.

This chart shows what energy is in use in CA (from 2017)
Attached Thumbnails
Say Good Bye To NY’s Economy: N.Y. lawmakers agree to historic climate plan-ca-energy-chart.png  

Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,204,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Prediction you’re going to see an exodus of business leaving NY. NY like Calif will end up like a third world state.

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060616261
I live in upstate NY. Upstate NY is already an economic wasteland. The only thing keeping it alive is the meth and heroin trade, prisons, hospitals, universities, and tourism. Tourism creates mainly low-wage service jobs. There’s not much left to lose.

New York City will always do well, because it has a pipeline of free money running to it directly from the Federal Reserve.

I’m not sure if the new climate legislation will have much of an effect on the economy, as there are few energy-intensive industries left. How much electricity is required to push digital money around on Wall Street or sell heroin on the streets of Buffalo?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 PM

31,995 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I live in upstate NY. Upstate NY is already an economic wasteland. The only thing keeping it alive is the meth and heroin trade, prisons, hospitals, universities, and tourism. Tourism creates mainly low-wage service jobs. There’s not much left to lose.

New York City will always do well, because it has a pipeline of free money running to it directly from the Federal Reserve.

I’m not sure if the new climate legislation will have much of an effect on the economy, as there are few energy-intensive industries left. How much electricity is required to push digital money around on Wall Street or sell heroin on the streets of Buffalo?
True, all true!

Only thing keeping upstate alive is hope. Entire NYS budget relies mainly upon revenue from downstate (NYC/Westchester/Long Island) area.

Gays, liberal/progressive democrats are moving to Hudson Valley and a few other areas for either second homes or permanently. This however cannot nor will not generate anywhere near enough revenue nor re-population to save those places. At best can stave things off for a bit, but even then you wonder how long locals are going to put up with outsiders invading their towns with "big city" ways.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM

18,473 posts, read 7,123,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

NYC is a vampire on Upstate.

It takes Upstate's water and taxes and sends Upstate it's garbage.......both the trash and human varieties.

NYC could fall off the planet along with LA and most Upstaters would say good riddance.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,873,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Imagine what the electric bills of the future will look like..
That's the idea.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,826,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

If the free market is causing this to happen and if subsidies aren't needed... then WHY is the government MANDATING these changes and WHY will these companies not switch over without the mandates and subsidies?

To be honest, I look forward to when California or New York or wherever else starts having continuous problems with brown outs, black outs and regular grid collapses. If they don't change their mandated energy policies, it won't be a matter of "if" it starts to and continues to happen, it will be a matter of "when" because an electric grid simply cannot function on intermittent and unreliable energy. Furthermore, I look forward to the astronomically skyrocketing energy prices that WILL occur everywhere they push this insanity. The above is strictly based upon CURRENT electric usage, not the new norm that will have electricity usage tripled, if not quadrupled when all those fossil fuel burning vehicles are outlawed and every vehicle will need to be plugged in to charge.

I admire the desire to make a positive change... then I roll over laughing my a$$ off at the insanity of it all. The people I feel sorry for are those who will be least able to afford this sheer ignorance, the lower middle class down to the poor, including people on fixed incomes, because a bunch of ignorant fools demand that the power of government should compel their utopian ideals, and that it should be paid for by everyone, just so those originally demanding can show that they care. Virtue signaling while demanding others pay for it is a mental illness.

All I can say in conclusion is don't you people who are pushing this insanity and ignorance dare demand that others bail you out when your utopian unicorn fart energy gives you a swift unicorn kick in the nads as you stand on the back end of your plan. When you finally realize that your utopian ideals will need to be fully replaced every 25 to 30 years, at near the original cost, plus inflation, you're already paying 4 to 10 times more for your electricity (if not more) and your unreliable grid keeps collapsing... don't you dare ask, much less demand that others bail you out of the ignorant situation you yourselves created.

More power (actually less and intermittent power) to you who are making these demands. May you and your families suffer the consequences of your idealistic demands.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,189,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What are you paying per KWH in L.A., SF, and other areas? Yes solar and wind need subsidies. They are viable compared to fossil at all, especially if cost is and issue, and cost is ALWAYS an issue.

This chart shows what energy is in use in CA (from 2017)
The average price per KWH in Calif. is 18 cents, but varies a lot depending on time of day, season and where you live. I pay less than that.

No, what I wrote was "as I type this" renewables was 50%. The Calif system operator posts the figures in real time. At that moment, 9:40 AM, the solar power was ramping up strongly but air conditioner use hasn't kicked in yet. Yesterday for the entire day renewables served up 32%, which is pretty good, actually.

Solar and wind are cheaper than fossil and nuke without subsidies now. Perhaps you haven't kept up? See page 2 of Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM

31,995 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
NYC is a vampire on Upstate.

It takes Upstate's water and taxes and sends Upstate it's garbage.......both the trash and human varieties.

NYC could fall off the planet along with LA and most Upstaters would say good riddance.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I live in NYS and while no fan of current government it is a GD fact that downstate carries rest of this godforsaken place.

It is the tax revenue kicked upstairs to Albany from high income individuals, businesses and the activity they generate from downstate that keeps upstate's butter stuck to their bread.

People are moving to NYC and other downstate areas, meanwhile they are fleeing upstate like rats from a sinking ship.

Sad proof of this was the last election where downstate liberal/democrats and or their policies carried not just the assembly but the senate. Even Faso has his clock punched. Fact upstate continues to vote Cuomo (the only white person in any power in Albany), should tell you something else.

NYS far as upstate is concerned is done. There aren't many jobs, population is declining as is economic activity. Meanwhile if NYC/downstate sneezes the entire state catches a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies