Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I finished college with a Bachelors and Masters. After becoming desperate for employment I decided to turn my search over to the "professionals" at the employment office. My first interview I was asked if I owned a lawn mower because there was an old lady who need her lawn mowed. My second interview I was offered a job cleaning up a diner after hours part time. Although I was wearing slacks and a sport coat the interviewer told me to make sure I cleaned up before I went to apply because this diner was particular about who they hired. My third interview I was sent to apply for another cleaning job.
You were "desperate for employment"? You told the employment counselors that, right? So they told you what was available, even jobs you were overqualified for, and tried to give you advice.
Quote:
This is what black people have to endure. Not slavery but racism. I would bet everything I have that those two employment professionals would never have expected a young white college grad to mow someones yard. This wasn't the 40's, 50's 60's or 70's it was the 80's. This was not in the south it was the Midwest. I figured I lost about five years during my struggle and of course my college loans went into default.
For that you call them racists, blame your inability to land a job for 5 years on them and...

Quote:
So lets stop talking about Slavery, unwed mothers, crack dealers, gangsta who are running from the police. Because my story is pretty typical. The one consolation for me after getting through that period quite nicely is 20 years later I had the opportunity to see the employment counselors again. One was in a wheel chair wasting away his mid life by some debilitating disease, and the other I saw sweeping up after hours in my kids school. God punishes my enemies more harshly than I .
... decades later, call them enemies and revel in their misfortunes. What a sick, twisted attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
There aren't even any slaves to reparate, so why does this nonsense keep getting brought up?

Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So sad and unfair.

Not to mention the violence permitted against African-Americans under Jim Crow was insane. The number of rapes not just again women but young girls...horrible.
Isn't it odd that in the DOJ crime data going back 60 years almost all of the interracial rape cases have been black-on-white, with so few white-on-black rapes that in some years they are rounded off statistically to zero. White men hardly ever rape black women. Yet people like you are absolutely certain that, back in the day, the situation was completely reversed and whites were raping blacks left and right.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:31 AM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
There aren't even any slaves to reparate, so why does this nonsense keep getting brought up?
In my opinion, it's a way to keep the people divided. We got crooks in Washington that are capitalizing big on people's emotions. With these emotions, Washington can make more laws that take away our freedoms, and create more taxes that chip away the value of our hard earned money.

Also, this current system we have in place to help the poor isn't doing nothing but creating severe dependency. Section 8 housing is a joke. The recipients of this program have to stay down in order to live in the home, and the land lord is making a killing collecting the fees once a month. Wouldn't it be more productive to just help a family with getting a good training for a decent job, then help with some kind of HUD program so they can actually own the home instead of renting?

Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You were "desperate for employment"? You told the employment counselors that, right? So they told you what was available, even jobs you were overqualified for, and tried to give you advice.

For that you call them racists, blame your inability to land a job for 5 years on them and...

... decades later, call them enemies and revel in their misfortunes. What a sick, twisted attitude.
It was the sweetest thing I ever tasted to see that man sweeping up at my child's school after hours. It reminded me of the Black Civil War soldier who captured and held his old master at gun point. "It looks lak de top rung on de bottom and de bottom rung on de top huh, massa,"

If you are a decent Job counselor you don't withhold the good job information from black applicants. One job I applied for rejected me and hired a less qualified white applicant. The irony is I knew the White man who got the the job. His words to me were, "I walked into this store to buy something and they offered me a job on the spot." God punished those people for me also.

For some black people these hardships are not a big deal. I first got the black treatment from my white kindergarten teacher. So I have made the necessary adjustments early in life. Later I would be frisked in public at the local grocery store. "Just checking you boy." If my experiences are from growing up in an; educated, church going,boy scout, respectable black Midwestern family, I shudder to think about parts of the south where there is no law for black people.

These white people I have encountered are ignorant pawns of a much larger system of institutionalized racism. They have internalized and act upon every negative piece of disinformation about black people they are taught. Clearly the legacy of slavery is not what it did to black people, its what it did to white people.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 06-23-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
One job I applied for rejected me and hired a less qualified white applicant.
And that behavior continues on today, with the blessing of the government. And democrats wonder why we call them "regressives" - because everything they are about today is taking us back and is regressive in every way.

Quote:

God punished those people for me also.

Well if you have this idea in your head that ALL whites are guilty of the actions of a few, you have quite a disturbed view of the bigger picture. That is no different than the whites you detest who view ALL black males as criminogenic.

You will deal out a collective guilt with no problem; don't get upset when people look at/label you with the same collective guilt you have painted them with.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Isn't it odd that in the DOJ crime data going back 60 years almost all of the interracial rape cases have been black-on-white, with so few white-on-black rapes that in some years they are rounded off statistically to zero. White men hardly ever rape black women. Yet people like you are absolutely certain that, back in the day, the situation was completely reversed and whites were raping blacks left and right.
Sixty years barely gets back to pre-Civil Rights Era. Also, the DOJ figures can only include rape cases or charges recorded by police. The rape of black women by white men simply were not recorded or charged by police in the South 60+ years ago. It was simply not considered a crime.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
And that behavior continues on today, with the blessing of the government. And democrats wonder why we call them "regressives" - because everything they are about today is taking us back and is regressive in every way.

Well if you have this idea in your head that ALL whites are guilty of the actions of a few, you have quite a disturbed view of the bigger picture. That is no different than the whites you detest who view ALL black males as criminogenic.

You will deal out a collective guilt with no problem; don't get upset when people look at/label you with the same collective guilt you have painted them with.

I didn't say I hate those people (or all white people). I just find it poetic justice that someone see's me again years later to find out how wrong they were about me. It was my hope that they will go forward see someone as an individual and not "one of a people."

Collective guilt, I was already viewed by a store owner that thought "black people steal so I can't give this job to this young man," he in turned hired what was IMO the worst possible person for that job on face value because the person's skin was white. White people are the true victims of slavery. Black people know what it would be like to white, but white people can never know what it is like to be black, yet they are convinced there is a solution to the race problem.

I have staunch white conservative friends who when it comes to race they are more liberal than liberals I know. Example: A white conservative friend has daughter who has her friends hanging out regularly at his home. One is a black kid who he likes. He says to me "I wish she would marry him, but they are just friends. " More than a few Liberals I know would probably wring their hands a bit over the prospect of their kids dating inter-racially.

It is a peculiar problem in America that reparations would far short of solving.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 06-23-2019 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 01:10 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

If you are a decent Job counselor you don't withhold the good job information from black applicants. One job I applied for rejected me and hired a less qualified white applicant. The irony is I knew the White man who got the the job. His words to me were, "I walked into this store to buy something and they offered me a job on the spot." .

You said you have 2 degrees, but are bitter someone got a store job, other than you, decades ago.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:20 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
I didn't say I hate those people (or all white people). I just find it poetic justice that someone see's me again years later to find out how wrong they were about me. It was my hope that they will go forward see someone as an individual and not "one of a people."

Collective guilt, I was already viewed by a store owner that thought "black people steal so I can't give this job to this young man," he in turned hired what was IMO the worst possible person for that job on face value because the person's skin was white. White people are the true victims of slavery. Black people know what it would be like to white, but white people can never know what it is like to be black, yet they are convinced there is a solution to the race problem.

I have staunch white conservative friends who when it comes to race they are more liberal than liberals I know. Example: A white conservative friend has daughter who has her friends hanging out regularly at his home. One is a black kid who he likes. He says to me "I wish she would marry him, but they are just friends. " More than a few Liberals I know would probably wring their hands a bit over the prospect of their kids dating inter-racially.

It is a peculiar problem in America that reparations would far short of solving.
You're talking to a white boy who grew up in the inner city and went to a high school where we whites were the minority. So I actually do have more experience about this subject than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies