Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Warning signs that the economy isn't so great.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-2-1027957636
See what I find dishonest about most economists is that they said similar things when Obama was in office, yet systematically we aren't much different under Trump other than the tax cuts. Most of Trump policy is simply Obama on steroids. Yet, Trump is liked because he is an R. The fact remains, Trump will likely see a recession in the next 14 months prior to the election. How bad will it be is anyone's guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:02 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
All US presidents operate the economy via a secret control panel located in the Oval Office. It’s right next to the panel that controls oil prices, the stock market, and the unemployment rate.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
Wrote this all today with the DOW futures up 250 points.. They got greedy.. Now its all up like 12 points.. What happened? Well simply put when you break down the meetings.. Nothing changed.. I guess investors were initially happy no new tariffs were imposed but realized all the current ones are also staying on.. I'm not sure I've seen a market so up and down based on nothing..Show me actions or results..

Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Live with it, we put up with 8 years of Obama!
Oh that's right, you couldn't deal with having a Black President.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Hats off to both Barack Obama and Donald Trump, all sides should be celebrating this.

When Obama took over as president in 2008, our country was in the midst of a major economic lull and housing crisis. However, thanks to Barack Obama, he was able to turn things around and the United States of America saw five straight years of economic growth.

And when Trump took over, since the economy was doing so well, he decided to mostly leave it alone. Other than his huge tax bill, Donald Trump hasn't really done anything drastic to impact the economy one way or another, he realized he should leave good enough alone.

Hats off to both Barack Obama and Donald Trump. Obama saved the economy and turned it around, and then Trump realized if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
At least you are more level-headed about this. Former President Obama helped turn things around. President Trump is maintaining things to an extent. I just think treating Trump like he's God is a stupid idea.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The OP cites a Twitter post which says the current period of economic expansion started in 2009. Now in my version of English: expansion=growth. WHAT is your definition of expansion?

HINT: Since it started in 2009, Trump can hardly be given all the credit as he didn't start as POTUS 'til 2017.

Or perhaps you need to learn Trump is not the miracle worker his self-aggrandizing BS would have us believe he is.
Exactly. I would rather said persons just admit that they hated former President Obama and that they love President Trump instead of beating around the bush.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Today being July 1st the USA has now officially had the longest period of economic expansion its entire history.
Assuming that's true -- and, no, Twitter is not an authority on anything -- you'll be in a recession within 12 months.

That will guarantee the election of a Democrat in 2020.

You should be thrilled about that.

Actually, you'll tie the record in August and break it September and there are no economic indicators to the contrary, so it will happen.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At least you are more level-headed about this. Former President Obama helped turn things around. President Trump is maintaining things to an extent. I just think treating Trump like he's God is a stupid idea.
No,you just hate white people.
It's as obvious as the nose on your face in every post of yours I've ever read.
Trump,like Barry,has his faults but both ultimately have America's interests at heart.
You just think one delivering them is a saint and the other the devil incarnate.
Ultimately both have had a hugely positive effect on the American economy.
Let your hatred go,bro.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
When the Democrats get on stage and proclaim that “this economy isn’t working,” I’m sorry but that doesn’t resonate at all with my partner and me. We’ve always done well, but we’re doing better than ever now. I don’t know anyone who is suffering as the Democrats proclaim. As long as the economy holds, I cannot see that message getting anywhere.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:58 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
When the Democrats get on stage and proclaim that “this economy isn’t working,” I’m sorry but that doesn’t resonate at all with my partner and me. We’ve always done well, but we’re doing better than ever now. I don’t know anyone who is suffering as the Democrats proclaim. As long as the economy holds, I cannot see that message getting anywhere.
After the middle tax cut that wasn't, it's going to resonate with many voters who are working hard but not getting ahead because their wages haven't kept pace with the growing economy, and they got very little tax relief on top of it.

Notice how the GOP stopped touting that tax cut as a great Republican victory? You barely hear any of them mention it anymore. Why? Because Americans were promised something that was given away instead to those who need it the least. No matter how hard the right tried to sell it, Americans weren't fooled. They know they were suckered.

Throw in rising healthcare costs with no help from the GOP coming, and you have a huge swath of people who are turned off by the Republican lies about how much they care about middle America and how good everyone has it right now. And that's without factoring in the Trump effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies