Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 11:31 AM

31,134 posts, read 22,174,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^This. Now the Original United States flag with thirteen stars may get the same treatment.
For that matter the current American flag, the founding fathers, the corporations of this country are all racist to leftist.

Back to topic. The man that owned the business should have known the risk of having a confederate flag on vehicle. Same as if some one rolled up to your house in a Kappernick T-shirt. Your prerogative to not employ them.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM

10,017 posts, read 5,722,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
First of all it's the Confederate battle flag, not the Confederate flag.
If you want to play the Superior Historical Knowledge game, let's do it accurately: it's actually the second Confederate Naval Jack. The various battle flags were square.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:05 PM

17,361 posts, read 12,321,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Examples? Read any thread on CD where a poster does not wholeheartedly endorse LGBT pride. The posters are showered with insults and hate. Called many names. Told they should die.

According to you. It's a truthful statement, and if you understood history you would know that.

Only a fringe element would ever support slavery. In my lifetime i have never met anyone who did or even saw a post on CD -- where crazies live to post -- where someone was posting that the US needed to embrace slavery.

Quote:
Well, yes, if someone does not celebrate the pride flag, they get lots of hate. From those waving the flag.
So you're walking down the street, see someone with a pride flag and don't hoot and holler and celebrate for them you get hate?

If you're in some conversation with someone and say they essentially don't deserve to live as they are and get some hate in return is not the same thing. It would have to be more along the lines of the person with the pride flag saying all straights should hide in the closet or face consequences, and for that ideology to take hold as a movement and the flag to represent that to be even remotely close.

To say the confederate battle flag is about heritage not hate or slavery is to utterly ignore history.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,428,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Should've let the wannabe Confederate finish the job, and then refuse to pay him.

That's what a Smart Businessman would do.
NOT...Its a good way to get a beating not unlike those they used to give to slaves......

Old 07-03-2019, 12:12 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,944,431 times
I have to admit that I always thought of the Confederate flag in a sort of Dukes of Hazard/Smokey & the Bandit kind of way. Just something that Southerners embraced as part of their heritage. It seems that just recently almost everything from America's past is now some sort of racist dog whistle. I may have missed one of the mandated social justice reorientation meetings I guess.

However, as a business owner, I agree that this guy was a jerk.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,978,593 times
Quote:

To say the confederate battle flag is about heritage not hate or slavery is to utterly ignore history.

That's a contradictory statement. History is about the whole truth. Not just the parts you want to remember. Not just omitting the parts you'd like to forget.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,428,731 times
I have noticed that the increased number of confederate flags being flown and displayed seems to be related to the increased destruction of confederate statues .The law breakers might "get away" with destruction of public property but LET THEM TRY TO DESTROY A PRIVATE CITIZENS FLAG....this they will not get away with lol

Old 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM

17,361 posts, read 12,321,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's a contradictory statement. History is about the whole truth. Not just the parts you want to remember. Not just omitting the parts you'd like to forget.
Please tell me how the battle flag of a treasonous northern Virginia army represents heritage. What heritage does that represent exactly? It was not even widespread through the confederacy.

"The battle flag was never adopted by the Confederate Congress, never flew over any state capitols during the Confederacy, and was never officially used by Confederate veterans' groups. The flag probably would have been relegated to Civil War museums if it had not been resurrected by the resurgent KKK and used by Southern Dixiecrats during the 1948 presidential election"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...te_battle_flag

The state declarations of secession specifically cite slavery. The whole Lost Cause movement trying to make it about states rights or heritage is revisionist history.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I have to admit that I always thought of the Confederate flag in a sort of Dukes of Hazard/Smokey & the Bandit kind of way. Just something that Southerners embraced as part of their heritage. It seems that just recently almost everything from America's past is now some sort of racist dog whistle. I may have missed one of the mandated social justice reorientation meetings I guess.

However, as a business owner, I agree that this guy was a jerk.
The Confederate Flag isn’t a racist dog whistle. It’s a racist train horn. If you’re driving around with it, I’m obligated to believe the worst intentions of the flag owner until he explains otherwise. I have no other choice.

The Confederate Flag was the battle flag for folks whose first priority was to preserve slavery. That’s it. Nothing more is attached to it as far as I’m concerned. Now it doesn’t offend most black folks just by existing. It’s not intrinsically evil in and of itself. But if you pull over to some black family’s house with it flying high, that’s a problem. You’re intentionally trying to offend. This attempt to offend cannot go unnoticed.

Therefore, this doesn’t have squat to do with social justice reorientation or any of that nonsense you’re talking about.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,978,593 times
Quote:
Please tell me how the battle flag of a treasonous northern Virginia army represents heritage. What heritage does that represent exactly? It was not even widespread through the confederacy.

"The battle flag was never adopted by the Confederate Congress, never flew over any state capitols during the Confederacy, and was never officially used by Confederate veterans' groups. The flag probably would have been relegated to Civil War museums if it had not been resurrected by the resurgent KKK and used by Southern Dixiecrats during the 1948 presidential election"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...te_battle_flag

The state declarations of secession specifically cite slavery. The whole Lost Cause movement trying to make it about states rights or heritage is revisionist history.
Love the wikipedia historians. Look up and throw up. Click click click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies