Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Your username is a giveaway! I seldom eat out and fortunately I am a good cook. If people kept track of how much they spent buying lunch and Starbucks, they might be surprised.

True. About 10 years ago I decide to cut back. I was saving but could see I was just wasting too much. I would stop by and pick up a biscuit or something to eat in the morning. I had an hour lunch. I went down to the local fast fast food joint to get something. Going home I might go through a drive thru and pick up something. I figured what I was spending, not to mention the bad food I was eating. I cut all of it out to save money. Packing my own lunch. The upside not just the savings. I lost about 30 lbs. I wasnt overweight with a big gut. I wound up going back to my 160 lbs. high school weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. More competition for modest-cost rentals. Increased demand raises prices. Everyone knows that.
"Everyone knows that?" Please...

Be nice if even half these notions were backed up with some solid data, but this is the first time I've heard illegals to be cause for rising rents. The numbers of illegals paying rent needs to be rather significant before THEY can be considered the problem rather than what tends to raise rents in general. Illegals don't typically represent that large a percentage of renters in all areas where rents are rising, where illegals live or not!

But let's go ahead and believe illegals are cause for rising rents, which of course means higher revenues for all the hard working Americans who have managed to own rental properties. Right? If illegals are cause for rising rents, can we similarly conclude this is good for all hard working Americans who own rental properties? Also helping with property tax revenues that help pay for our schools?

Old 07-06-2019, 11:27 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How is someone going to make it on their own when their two jobs don’t pay enough to make rent?

sounds like P*ss Poor planning to me.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

But let's go ahead and believe illegals are cause for rising rents, which of course means higher revenues for all the hard working Americans who have managed to own rental properties. Right? If illegals are cause for rising rents, can we similarly conclude this is good for all hard working Americans who own rental properties? Also helping with property tax revenues that help pay for our schools?
Sure landlords are profiting nicely and the school system thugs are raking in more cash to waste....but that doesn’t offset the effects of soaring rents for Joe Sixpack.

It’s common sense, even the most lunatic liberals insist that most illegals aren’t homeless. Even if they live 7 in one apartment, that’s still over 140,000 apartments consumed to house just one million illegals!!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Your username is a giveaway! I seldom eat out and fortunately I am a good cook. If people kept track of how much they spent buying lunch and Starbucks, they might be surprised.
I think your comment demonstrates how out of touch so many average Americans tend to be when it comes to the difference between barely making ends meet and people who make real money...

If your focus is on whether or not to eat out or buying lunch or the cost of a drink at Starbucks, you are somewhere there close to barely making ends meet. Those making the sort of money that truly begins to allow for getting ahead, a good retirement and financial freedom find notions like yours "quite charming."

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-06-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Where does it say life is fair? So Dem controlled corporations never lay off workers? There have never been poor people when Dems were in power? All their promises to help the poor never seem to pan out, do they? After the last administration, people were desperate to try anything and many have been pleasantly surprised in a good way by Trump.

Seems to me I've read surveys about people feeling more upbeat about their future than they have been in a while. I think it's called the Consumer Index or something. I can't remember.

At least today's poor are better off than poor people in the past. That doesn't mean things can't get better and in the US we have opportunities to improve our lot in life or even become wealthy. Many examples of successful entrepreneurs, even children! If you aren't the entrepreneurial type (don't want to sacrifice and work hard), people who are will create a job for you.

Social media makes people compare themselves to others which is one reason they are depressed.
Exactly! "Life is not fair." Tell that to all the conservatives commenting here as if life affords us all the same opportunities. As if life treats us all equally in these regards! Just ridiculous...

You're all over the place with the rest of your comment, because I'm not sure this thread is about who to blame for the poor, and I'm not sure it's all about whether we feel "upbeat" in general. Me personally, I try to stay positive despite the negatives and that's not always easy when it comes to the growing challenges our children, my children, are facing thanks to our misguided ways in the past and still today.

If it is about being upbeat, that "many have been pleasantly surprised in a good way by Trump" just goes to show that some people can be "upbeat" about the same sort of thing that seriously depresses others. Hard to be "upbeat" about the simple fact that Americans can differ so dramatically in these respects.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
The problem people keep forgetting is that salary growth has not kept pace with rising cost of goods and services.

10 years ago if you were making $50k, you should be making atleast $75k for the same job today.

Because the cost of almost everything today has gone up atleast 20%

Too many people still making $40k and needed government assistance to survive because they either have too many children or got into financial stress such as racking up credit card bills.

That's why so many folks are living paycheck to paycheck in America.

As a consultant for over 15 years, I've budgeted a year's worth of living expenses in the bank. I was out of work for 5 months a few years ago because I wanted better opportunities than take some some ball or bad jobs. I could afford to sit out but most Americans can't sit out for more than 1-2 months without pay.

I have 3-4 credit cards with over $25k credit line unused because I pay them off. I only use 0% cards, use them a few months and pay them off. That's how you build credit and build a buffer for your finances in case something happens you got options.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Exactly! "Life is not fair." Tell that to all the conservatives commenting here as if life affords us all the same opportunities. As if life treats us all equally in these regards! Just ridiculous...

You're all over the place with the rest of your comment, because I'm not sure this thread is about who to blame for the poor, and I'm not sure it's all about whether we feel "upbeat" in general. Me personally, I try to stay positive despite the negatives and that's not always easy when it comes to the growing challenges our children, my children, are facing thanks to our misguided ways in the past and still today.

If it is about being upbeat, that "many have been pleasantly surprised in a good way by Trump" just goes to show that some people can be "upbeat" about the same sort of thing that seriously depresses others. Hard to be "upbeat" about the simple fact that Americans can differ so dramatically in these respects.
That's the beauty of America. Do the right things and you can create your own opportunity. Aside from that, no one owes another person a guarantee of a comfortable life, especially when that guarantee is borne on the backs of others.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Something likely _IS_ expected. But what is that something? Is it something illegal? Or is it that people believe so strongly in a platform, that they donate large amounts of their own dinero to support that cause.

Bloomberg = gun control
Steyer = impeach Trump

I keep asking for examples of a time and place where money and power has not influenced politics.

Funny, no one is talking about unions, the big money machine that fill the coffers of democrats. Do you want to address how union contributions uphold union interests or nah?
All one need do is ask why anyone or any corporation donates the kind of money they do, for whatever their cause, and how can anyone not realize how our politicians are essentially "bought off" by wealthy special interests? The problem you also make is with regard to a focus only on what we all get to see (though not as transparent as should be). Causes like gun control or to promote gun sales, impeachment and the rest we tend to hear about more often.

What you don't hear about is the countless amounts of legislation and money revolving around investments and projects worth millions of dollars to those who want that regulation removed or zoning changed or drilling done. Any idea how many pieces of legislation are introduced to Congress EVERY YEAR? Ever notice who the sponsors of all that legislation tend to be, before taken on by our elected representative(s)?

Ever looked up the number of lobbies who are spending those millions? Most you haven't even heard of...

Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
That's the beauty of America. Do the right things and you can create your own opportunity. Aside from that, no one owes another person a guarantee of a comfortable life, especially when that guarantee is borne on the backs of others.
Do please tell that to the daughter of my conservative friend just out of his job of 15 years. One of the hardest working most honest people I know, but his daughter was born premature and with some pretty significant hearing, vision and cognitive challenges. Fortunately, we as a society have devoted money to special education that isn't cheap but helps millions of similarly challenged children just to get through school, let alone be successful.

She's a young adult now, graduated from college, but still looking for a job, so she's still living at home with her parents who are more than glad to help her accordingly. Still, it costs money to continue to feed children past the age they should be moving on. Lots of poorer Americans know this truth too, and with children who aren't disabled!

Despite the help, the medical bills aren't cheap either, but my friend is the sort that tries to stay "upbeat" regardless. Just yesterday he also had to drive out to help his elderly mom visit the ER once again in a week, after she took a fall and injured herself pretty badly. Not easy as anyone burdened with unhealthy aging parents also well knows, but I'm glad my friend doesn't have to hear the sort of drivel being expressed in this thread, about "all you have to do." My friend's financial situation isn't the best right now for no fault of his own. Never before unemployed.

I'd hate for some nitwit to try and tell him he's in any way deserving of these challenges both past and more recently, or that he hasn't followed these simple rules of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies