Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
As usual, the wannabe billionaires on here who talk like they are part of the economic elite but in reality are only tools to achieve their agenda. Blame the individual for being lazy, but don’t address the system which makes America the highest poverty rate in the developed world. They mostly come from low wage Republican states but complain they make too much money and one day they will become millionaires too if they listen to Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh 3 hours day. They elected a silver-spoon fed billionaire to fix their problems. Someone who profited from the very system he claims he will fix.

The OP is right, too many people in debt trying to keep up in this economy. And yes, it’s been going on for decades...but don’t believe the guy who borrowed millions from his dad is on the side of average working Americans.
I didn’t vote for either one of them, and I’m not a Republican, but some people voted for him solely (or nearly solely) either because of the strength of their dislike for Hillary or a feeling that they would have a better chance of paying less in taxes with Trump in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 04:32 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,180,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Wow, a whole 30 Americans.

I'll bet half of them have $3,000 in tattoos and the other half $1,200 in tattoos, but they ain't got $400 for an emergency.

That's probably because she's financially illiterate. If you can't live in Ohio on $10/hour then you need to go off yourself.
Funny you should mention tattoos. My "ner do well" relatives in Youngstown, Ohio, have had houses foreclosed on because they couldn't make a $300/month house payment. You know what they all have plenty of? Tattoos, some of which are pretty impressive! They also find plenty of time to gamble at the track, Atlantic City, Niagara Falls, etc. These people are not necessarily financially illiterate....they know exactly what the ramifications of the choices are......yet they still continue to make these bad financial decisions. One other issue that is common.....single motherhood with no father in the picture.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:45 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Funny you should mention tattoos. My "ner do well" relatives in Youngstown, Ohio, have had houses foreclosed on because they couldn't make a $300/month house payment. You know what they all have plenty of? Tattoos, some of which are pretty impressive! They also find plenty of time to gamble at the track, Atlantic City, Niagara Falls, etc. These people are not necessarily financially illiterate....they know exactly what the ramifications of the choices are......yet they still continue to make these bad financial decisions. One other issue that is common.....single motherhood with no father in the picture.
Probably one of the 30 interviewed in the article blaming Trump and the "economy" for their financial problems.

Gee, if I only made more money. Life's not fair

Old 07-05-2019, 05:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,690,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Well, that’s why he’s rich and you’re not

This is an amazing country because normal, everyday people can build wealth beyond their wildest dreams. I find it incredibly inspiring.
So you are a crass materialist and not a believer in frugality that you are preaching for everyone else to follow?

I find lots of things inspiring, but certainly not wealth beyond what one might need. I would find the elimination of poverty in this country very inspiring. I find the cleanup of certain environmental messes very inspiring. I find people who dedicate their lives to others inspiring.

But I don't find the top car sales people or King of Real Estate inspiring.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In no particular order:

1. Why did someone in her particular situation think it was fine to have children?

2. Why wasn’t the guy mentioned a husband rather than a boyfriend?

3. Did the guy just disappear? The way the passage is worded, it sounds as though he was contributing financially before the breakup. The article uses the wording “on her own”...so why is he no longer contributing?
Don't you also want to know how they wipe.....their windshield?

This isn't reality TV. We are talking about tens of millions of Americans each with different stories. If you truly want to know the basics, I'd suggest starting with reading Nickled and Dimed (a book on the subject).

I feel certain you will have fewer question when you understand the issues involved.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Sorry to hear you have Big L losers in the family.....many of us probably do. But those are not the people under discussion. These are people who work full time - sometimes more than one jobs, and can't even pay the basics.

This has been proven over and over again. Even at $15 an hour one cannot afford a basic roof over their head, health insurance, food and transportation and the very basics....AND, if they ever get lucky enough to peek their heads above water, some event which is not of their doing (like a Wall Street Great Recession) will come along and thrown them out of work and they sink again.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:06 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Don't you also want to know how they wipe.....their windshield?

This isn't reality TV. We are talking about tens of millions of Americans each with different stories. If you truly want to know the basics, I'd suggest starting with reading Nickled and Dimed (a book on the subject).

I feel certain you will have fewer question when you understand the issues involved.

Allow me to translate this libspeak to English: "I have no reasonable response to your questions, so I'll just post some dumb a$$ s**t to deflect."

Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Allow me to translate this libspeak to English: "I have no reasonable response to your questions, so I'll just post some dumb a$$ s**t to deflect."
Actually, the correct answer is "it's none of your business what brand of toilet paper the person uses".....

To think that we all have the details of the lives of tens of millions of americans is crazy!

The only thing I can surmise is that you think 1/2 or more of Americans are not deserving of even the basics....that COULD be had by a hard worker two generations ago.

If that's the case, just say it. No need to come up with excuses like "well, they could have bought gas cheaper at Costco and then they would be ahead of the game".

Heck, most all working Americans could afford a car - a NEW Car (model T) 100 years ago. Now they are driven broke by a used car which they need to get to work. 100 years ago an electric trolley served the route - cheap.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:23 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, the correct answer is "it's none of your business what brand of toilet paper the person uses".....

To think that we all have the details of the lives of tens of millions of americans is crazy!

The only thing I can surmise is that you think 1/2 or more of Americans are not deserving of even the basics....that COULD be had by a hard worker two generations ago.

If that's the case, just say it. No need to come up with excuses like "well, they could have bought gas cheaper at Costco and then they would be ahead of the game".

Heck, most all working Americans could afford a car - a NEW Car (model T) 100 years ago. Now they are driven broke by a used car which they need to get to work. 100 years ago an electric trolley served the route - cheap.
You are the one who started this tread about this person and her plight, and made an example of it, so you made it everyone's business. You presented this as a case study in what is wrong, so you should be able to respond to pertinent questions with a factual answer. If you can't, just say so.

Not sure why you are so concerned about her toilet paper, either.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So if Trump is supposed to be this great president, then why doesn't he demand that Congress abolish the Dept. of Education for starters?
I think he is from inside. I mean DeVos made tons of money off of charters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies