Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,976 times

Advertisements

A Flat-Earth SJW nagging mom-in-law is triggered by this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 02:01 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,701,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Just think about it, if there is a natural disaster, shooting etc. even if men are killed, the news always wants to talk about how many women and children were killed. While sure it's tragic, in no way is grown adult women being killed anywhere near as tragic as little kids being killed, yet the news and the like lumps them in the same category, thereby saying grown adult women are on the same level as little kids, basically infantilizing them, does anyone else see how wrong this is?

Huh uh, has nothing to do with infancy and everything to do with how we feel worse when something happens to a child or female...….it is in our DNA to protect,respect, and cherish children and women.

I sense, by your post, that (if you are a female) you also hate it when a man opens a door for you or pulls out your chair. Am I correct ?

Old 07-07-2019, 02:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Anyone who has a son can tell you there are many, many, MANY educational, club, and arts opportunities for free for girls, and very little for boys. A local rec club had a skateboarding for girls event .. and if you had a son? You had to pay to go. Free for girls, of course.

Even the libraries offer girls only classes and activities.
I have two sons and 1 daughter, and there isn’t anything free for any of them. Of course, I live in one of those godless, liberal, Northeastern cities where it is accepted as a matter of course that girls are just as capable as boys, so there is no need to create such incentives.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:05 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nothing that you just said changes what I just said.

Even if female DV is underreported, we know for a fact that women do not kill like men do. No violence is okay, but I think most people would rather be hit or even beaten than dead. Women on average cannot inflict as much damage as men can. Women are not as strong, are typically smaller. Most men can fight off a woman. I don't think most women can fight off a man, at least not as easily. Women should not get special treatment but the damage each can and do cause should be taken into consideration. And that difference is partly why the murder rates, for one, are so different.

You can call any of it "infantilizing women," I'll call it like I see it. A male violence problem.

Your views on rape are problematic enough, no need to address everything else you said. You obviously have an agenda here.
You seem to be able to comprehend that men could be causing every single social ill you wish to pin upon them, but that would not alter the fact that our culture infantilizes women.

You also seem to believe I disagree with anything you write about crime statistics, beyond domestic violence.

Male violence does not preclude women from acting more decisively to protect others in crisis situations or preclude them from sacrificing their lives to save others. Male violence does not explain why we have many more programs to help girls versus boys. Male violence does not explain why women consistently receive lesser sentences for crimes with the same amount of violence and destruction. Male violence does not explain why women are expected to be less able to control their bodies than men.

And on and on.

You have a problem: you've bought into a belief system which uses a singular phenomenon to explain every social ill in a society. In other words, simplistic, dogmatic, fixed thinking. That's modern feminism in a nutshell, dare I say, (God help me) "problematic."

Old 07-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I have two sons and 1 daughter, and there isn’t anything free for any of them. Of course, I live in one of those godless, liberal, Northeastern cities where it is accepted as a matter of course that girls are just as capable as boys, so there is no need to create such incentives.
You should become more acquainted with your state university system, not to mention federal loan programs.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You should become more acquainted with your state university system, not to mention federal loan programs.
Um, I work at a state university (a flagship STEAM school). There is no meritocracy based on gender. Again: godless, liberal, northeastern city... were it is accepted as a matter of course that females are just a capable as males in all areas. Except for perhaps writing one’s name in the snow with urine.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times
Quote:
You seem to be able to comprehend that men could be causing every single social ill you wish to pin upon them, but that would not alter the fact that our culture infantilizes women.

You also seem to believe I disagree with anything you write about crime statistics, beyond domestic violence.

Male violence does not preclude women from acting more decisively to protect others in crisis situations or preclude them from sacrificing their lives to save others. Male violence does not explain why we have many more programs to help girls versus boys. Male violence does not explain why women consistently receive lesser sentences for crimes with the same amount of violence and destruction. Male violence does not explain why women are expected to be less able to control their bodies than men.

And on and on.

You have a problem: you've bought into a belief system which uses a singular phenomenon to explain every social ill in a society. In other words, simplistic, dogmatic, fixed thinking. That's modern feminism in a nutshell, dare I say, (God help me) "problematic."
No, I simply don't think women are "infantilized" in any aspect you mentioned. I also don't believe that one issue causes all other issues, I just chose to only address one issue specifically because I don't feel like getting into a point by point debate with someone who says something like "that's modern feminism in a nut shell," or "that's the feminist-type response" because it shows your bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Huh uh, has nothing to do with infancy and everything to do with how we feel worse when something happens to a child or female...….it is in our DNA to protect and cherish the young and women.

I sense, by your post, that (if you are a female) you are one of the ones who hate it when a man opens a door for you or pulls out your chair. Am I correct ?
Idk who would hate that, it's basic human decency to at least hold or open doors for people. I am a woman and hold or open doors open for men and women when the opportunity presents itself. Pulling out a chair would be a little weird, I don't think anyone needs to pull out chairs for anyone else ever, but I guess that's an idea as antiquated as opening a car door for a woman when on a date. It just seems silly in 2019 that one sex needs the other to do certain basic things for her, but if some people still like it, they can do what they want.

We live in a patriarchal society that has primarily had men in power making major decisions about war and other government and political issues, and has influenced the way gender roles and family dynamics work. Yet we also in modern times have people complaining about how it works, especially men. We can undo all this but it will take some time because some of these ideals or norms are so embedded in society. Men and women being equal in positions of power (or combat roles if talking reactions to war casualties specifically) may help undo these often old-fashioned ideas that stem from times when gender roles were much stricter. For people who like strict gender roles and a sense of inequality in some aspects, well, you can't have it both ways.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Um, I work at a state university (a flagship STEAM school), as does my husband. There is no meritocracy based on gender. Again: godless, liberal, northeastern city... were it is accepted as a matter of course that females are just a capable as males in all areas. Accept for perhaps writing one’s name in the snow with urine.
Yeah, you already did the "godless, liberal, northeastern..." routine. I'm a Democrat, by the way, so you can probably save that for the bubbleheads who find that more amusing than intelligent people do.

Like my state, your state universities also have a litany of scholarships and programs, like in STEM, aimed solely at females. In case you missed it, some of this has recently been litigated on the basis of gender discrimination.

Furthermore, if you're truly in academia, you know full well that faculty searches are usually aimed at hiring female candidates in "underrepresented" fields, preferably females of color. These are often quixotic efforts.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, I simply don't think women are "infantilized" in any aspect you mentioned. I also don't believe that one issue causes all other issues, I just chose to only address one issue specifically because I don't feel like getting into a point by point debate with someone who says something like "that's modern feminism in a nut shell," or "that's the feminist-type response" because it shows your bias.

Idk who would hate that, it's basic human decency to at least hold or open doors for people. I am a woman and hold or open doors open for men and women when the opportunity presents itself. Pulling out a chair would be a little weird, I don't think anyone needs to pull out chairs for anyone else ever, but I guess that's an idea as antiquated as opening a car door for a woman when on a date. It just seems silly in 2019 that one sex needs the other to do certain basic things for her, but if some people still like it, they can do what they want.

We live in a patriarchal society that has primarily had men in power making major decisions about war and other government and political issues, and has influenced the way gender roles and family dynamics work. Yet we also in modern times have people complaining about how it works, especially men. We can undo all this but it will take some time because some of these ideals or norms are so embedded in society. Men and women being equal in positions of power (or combat roles if talking reactions to war casualties specifically) may help undo these often old-fashioned ideas that stem from times when gender roles were much stricter. For people who like strict gender roles and a sense of inequality in some aspects, well, you can't have it both ways.
Yes, I know you disagree. Instead of offering an logical rebuttal, you chose a non sequitur, namely that "men cause most of the violence." That doesn't address my points.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:23 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,980,972 times
Quote:

And on and on.

Your problem is ... being a man. I find it hilarious that some men are complaining at this but the whole “women are the weaker sex” thing is strictly a male construct. Men are always and have always thought of themselves as the the protector, hunter gatherer. Was it a woman who decided that women and children should be “saved” first or some man/men? If this is a problem for you.. look in the mirror and reflect on your gender rather than pulling the feminist” card. if this is a problem... it’s one that you ( men ) have created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies