Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is rude unless they speak quietly in a private area. I have stood in line behind Spanish speakers (whom coincidentely both knew English) blabbing away loudly in Spanish. You couldn't avoid hearing it. I have had the same experiences in department stores and restaurants. That's what grinds me is when they know English but refuse to speak it.
It isn't rude. At all. They are free to do that. What grinds me is individuals such as yourself that demand the people in public conform to your own ideals and must speak in a manner that pleases you, a total stranger to them. Again, an expression of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
OK If a person goes into a starbucks and does not like or is in some way made to feel unconfortable by seeing several police there the police are asked to leave, Now if I were to go to a starbucks and see someone speaking spanish and that made me feel unconfortable would starbucks ask THEM TO LEAVE? Its the same rationale. please explain
I was thinking the very same thing today during my morning run. The manager in both situations = wrong.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:11 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Where did I say that Puerto Ricans weren't citizens? They aren't naturalized citizens though and those are the ones I was speaking of. Foreigners who migrate here and apply for citizenship are required to know basic English. Did you get lost somewhere in the conversation?

From what I understand English is taught in Puerto Rican schools.

Actually, yes they are full citizens from birth, ever since the passing of the Jones-Shafroth Act of 1917. They don't have to do anything as far as immigration/citizenship processing if they want to move to the continental US from the island.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The die has been cast for at least a decade on what the country will look like demographically in the future. If you consider Hispanics to be a minority, we are destined to become a minority-majority nation. That’s a moot point now. It’s all about how our political parties and the people in general react to that now inevitable demographic change.
it appears that a large number of Americans would prefer an amorphous, non-descript America with no borders, no discernable national language, no national currency, no national values - with high taxes, no one required to pull his weight, legalized drug use ----I'm sure great Americans from our history would be outraged by the direction this country has taken.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
the OP poster has posted dozens of threads about whites showing disrespect or violence towards minorities. I see stories in the news every week about minorities violently attacking whites or other minorities. s/he doesn't post threads about those stories.

Most American citizens get along, but some like to stir the racial ****.....

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-14-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 02:27 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Don't call me a liar! Why does one need to know Spanish in order to get a job in Miami for example? I didn't say Cubans don't know English it's just that many don't want to speak it unless they have to and that is true of many whom are from south of our border here also.

Just because a U.S. city is mostly occupied by a certain ethnic/lingual group doesn't mean they should be exempt from assimilating into mainstream America. You are just proving my point that they don't by your own remarks.
If speaking two languages is part of the job requirement why does that upset you?
I thought you were pro Capitalist? If businesses requires a language skill set for a certain market like Miami why are you upset?

Miami is not "mainstream America! as I have pointed out it is a "outlier" in every sense of the word.

And YES you are still lying about Cubans !

Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
...you know

It only takes a few bad spanish apples to ruin it for everyone...and that same thing goes for all groups of people

Just overlook them..and realize..most apples are good...but you sure do remember the bad ones!

The spanish language comes in dozens of different flavors..all different...and so are all the different spanish cultures

Old 07-14-2019, 03:25 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
No national values? Lmao. What values do you speak of when the president himself is tweeting racial insults at American congresswomen, 3/4 born and raised here, to go back to their countries? If anyone's a snowflake it's you people who are offended by people speaking another language and butting into private conversations that have nothing to do with you. Like someone said above, it's not about speaking Spanish or anything else - these racist white nationalists are afraid of change (which is here already) that this country is experiencing. It's not the first and it won't be the last. We have always been a nation of immigrants but apparently some people don't like that.
"Afraid of change"

So you are an advocate of aztlan/reconquista, and the destruction of US culture due to the illegal invasion of our country by people who practice irresponsible overpopulation in their countries.
No I dont have to accept this change and I am not alone.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If speaking two languages is part of the job requirement why does that upset you?
I thought you were pro Capitalist? If businesses requires a language skill set for a certain market like Miami why are you upset?

Miami is not "mainstream America! as I have pointed out it is a "outlier" in every sense of the word.

And YES you are still lying about Cubans !

Speaking two languages is not a common skill in native born americans. Why should we be burdened with such a requirement just to codify a segment who wont assimilate?
Employers hiring only bilinguil candidates are engaged in discrimination.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Speaking two languages is not a common skill in native born americans. Why should we be burdened with such a requirement just to codify a segment who wont assimilate?
Employers hiring only bilinguil candidates are engaged in discrimination.
You obviously know nothing about business. Speaking multiple languages is considered a "asset" unless you are a bigot and close minded.
Even the Communist Chinese know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies