Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My Mom retired from working in the business office of a regionalized school system and part of her job was the payroll and balancing the books.

Teaching is a tough often thankless job and it takes many years and even decades to reach a good level of pay upwards of 6 figures. The biggest problem in the school system was that they heads of the school would go to the towns looking for overrides for their budget "it is for the kids" and in most cases they were handed what they asked for.

What was down right criminal was the average teacher made approx. $45,000 plus benefits while the administrators, Superintendents etc.. and the technology department heads were all making well over $100,000.

I think that is how it is in most schools. The teachers that are down in the trenches each day make far less than the heads of the schools that have very little if any contact with the kids.
Yes, and there are FAR too many school/district administrators. There is NO need for so many. But this is what happens in any government bureaucracy, and it wastes a HUGE amount of taxpayer $$$$$ for what essentially is nothing but a cushy jobs program.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Dealing with other people’s children and irresponsible parents...not for me, thank you.

As far as I’m concerned, teachers could never make enough money.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
At least in IL, the teachers protesting are in Chicago. The average salary of teachers in Chicago is $71K. In my opinion, a lot of them are overpaid. They can't even speak properly.

That average is brought up because of suburbs where the average teacher is making almost $100K. Teachers with masters degrees earn more than that. Teachers who also coach can make double that.

I think the protests are primarily from teachers in large cities, so the issue is being muddled.
What many people don't realize with the teacher protests is they aren't JUST doing it over their wages. I am a paraprofessional in Arizona, I will get paid about minimum wage as of January when it increases to $12 an hour. I will be paid just pennies over the minimum wage. I think I'll start looking elsewhere for work. What I do is NOT a minimum wage job. As a paraprofessional I've: assisted in running a classroom, changed students, bathroomed students, break-up potential fights, even helped calm students down. There is typically a shortage every single school year of paraprofessionals whether they switch schools, retire or just leave the job for something else. Some switch middle of the year. Not a paraprofessional but the similar behavior technicians role (which is more on helping with behaviors) we have in district I saw one quit in the weeks before the school year (no sign she was out in the end of the year) and then a new one came in late August but was out within two months due to "personal issues."

Then you also have to look school conditions as well. Arizona has had tons of issues with these. A number have textbooks with the Berlin Wall still being a thing. That is now three decades old. There are numerous schools with more money needed to keep schools in working order. There are even more where they have issues with working buses.

Yeah, it is all about teachers wanting even higher wages...

Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Get rid of the Teachers Union. Good teachers will be in demand and get paid more. Crappy teachers will work at Target

Old 07-13-2019, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LMAO. If you believe that BS. Go out and get a teaching job. There aren’t enough teachers in most of our states.
This guy could never get a teaching job.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:44 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Get rid of the Teachers Union. Good teachers will be in demand and get paid more. Crappy teachers will work at Target
Georgia has no teacher's unions, things still suck here.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What many people don't realize with the teacher protests is they aren't JUST doing it over their wages. I am a paraprofessional in Arizona, I will get paid about minimum wage as of January when it increases to $12 an hour. I will be paid just pennies over the minimum wage. I think I'll start looking elsewhere for work. What I do is NOT a minimum wage job. As a paraprofessional I've: assisted in running a classroom, changed students, bathroomed students, break-up potential fights, even helped calm students down. There is typically a shortage every single school year of paraprofessionals whether they switch schools, retire or just leave the job for something else. Some switch middle of the year. Not a paraprofessional but the similar behavior technicians role (which is more on helping with behaviors) we have in district I saw one quit in the weeks before the school year (no sign she was out in the end of the year) and then a new one came in late August but was out within two months due to "personal issues."

Then you also have to look school conditions as well. Arizona has had tons of issues with these. A number have textbooks with the Berlin Wall still being a thing. That is now three decades old. There are numerous schools with more money needed to keep schools in working order. There are even more where they have issues with working buses.

Yeah, it is all about teachers wanting even higher wages...
Where did I state that?

Old 07-13-2019, 05:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where did I state that?
Read between the lines of the post and it said that.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Georgia has no teacher's unions, things still suck here.
No teacher's union here either. A 30 year teacher tried to start one about 5 years ago and promptly got fired.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,885,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A person with a degree in chemistry plus a teaching certificate will always be under paid as a teacher.
True. There is a reason that it's relatively easy to get hired to teach math or science but hard to come by a position in a non-terrible school teaching English or history.

Which goes to I think a broader point, which is that this is a kind of fruitless debate because there's no one correct answer to whether teachers are over- or under- compensated. It varies pretty wildly based on subject and geography. A math teacher in Oklahoma might as well be doing charity work, and good luck to a school trying to find and retain someone qualified. A history teacher on Long Island is hugely overcompensated and likely got their position through nepotism/personal contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies