Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension plan. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much
Please, boss. Most government employees are on similar salary schedules or better.

It is hard to take teacher salary complaints seriously when no one else is ever targeted, often having jobs that require less skill and responsibility.

Or given that teachers actually do work and take care of a classroom of forty snot nosed nightmares, for eight hours per day, while their parents go to work to earn salaries that pay the taxes that pay the teacher salaries for the childcare and free education.

They do have retirement communities for people with zero personal interest in community taxes and growth that is propelled by families and their kids. They have these communities in States with low or no tax and therefore mostly bad public schools and low teacher salaries. Its easy to move to these places.

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know where you live, but a) teachers in many cities/states don't make anything close to $50k a year, and b)$50k isn't a lot of money.
a.) did you have a point other than to see your "brilliant" words in text format? b.) I clearly stated where I lived. there's simply no way you "don't know where I live." c.) your last comment makes little to no sense. $50k isn't a lot of money. ok. that depends on where you live. if the average price of a home in your town is $100k, then $50k is upper middle class. the other problem with the statement is that no one gives a $h!t. going into teaching to "make a lot of money" is like going into law enforcement to make a lot of money.

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The state of Kentucky employed slightly over 43,000 teachers last year, with Jefferson County (Louisville) being the largest employer. All but a handful of schools will have started by this time next month. There are 2422 classroom teacher vacancies as of Friday, July 12 and vacancies are usually removed from the list within 48 hours of hiring. I believe in a week, at most two, is when waivers from the state for hiring unqualified individuals become practically automatic - including people who are just high school graduates. Please explain to me how this is happening since teachers are so incredibly compensated.

Now, across the river in Ohio, where the pay and benefits are better, even though schools starts approximately 2-3 weeks later, except in a few urban districts, there are only a few districts that have a couple of openings and most have none. See how that works?
Yep. So many school districts complain they can't find good teachers, but, as is often the case with lots of employers in other fields, these school districts offer insultingly low salaries.

That situation you describe in Jefferson County Schools is unbelievable.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-14-2019 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can't speak for everywhere but a teacher in PA will start at about $45K plus benefits. After about ten years they will be making 70 to $80K plus benefits depending on their schooling. On average PA currently spends about $16K per student, putting it in the same league with small rich nations like Switzerland.

$50K plus benefits is pretty sweet deal for a M-F job, all holidays off and a 2 month vacation in the summer.
yeah, I don't think that poster has put in the math. $50k for a teacher starting out is like $40 an hour. that would make it one of the highest paying professions out of college.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:52 AM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension plan. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much
I will say that after adding the benefits they get, teachers are well compensated if they stick it out. I would also agree that the job is not an easy one but one does get the awesome benefit of summer break and don't have to work on many school holidays that one would have to work in a private sector job.

My sister and her hubby were both teachers and retired with nice pensions. They never made the amount of money wife and I made but they had summers off, stability of income, and now nice pensions. I wouldn't trade my experience for theirs but I'm not sure they would trade theirs with mine so I guess we all ended up with what we wanted.

So I guess I'm in the middle, I don't agree with teachers complaining so much about their pay and benefits nor do I agree that they're severely overpaid. I think the good ones are underpaid and the bad ones overpaid.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
An easy degree you say.
Yes. Ed Schools/Departments and their classes are universally known as the "Crayon Curriculum" by every other academic department on campus. And an EdD is FAR less prestigious than a PhD.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:59 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But the problem here is far more often the districts cannot pay more for teachers due to crunched budgets while companies sit on cash yet think they can find talent on the cheap. This is the difference, companies low ball but shouldn't have to, a good number of districts low ball out of necessity.
Good point. You're right.

But there are school districts in wealthy areas that CAN pay better salaries, but choose not to. I live beside a district like that.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Right... so did you mean it to sound like it was simply based on salary or no? I saw at least one line that made me question that.
I intended to respond to the OP's post with regard to SALARY.

You're nitpicking just because. I'm not playing.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
A little off topic, but anyone who subs here can get all the days they want at $90 a day. The absentee rate for teachers runs about 30% per day. A friend of mine subbed 5 days a week all year split among 3 local districts.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A little off topic, but anyone who subs here can get all the days they want at $90 a day. The absentee rate for teachers runs about 30% per day. A friend of mine subbed 5 days a week all year split among 3 local districts.
That's only $1800 a month. People with no education can make $1800 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies