Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,668,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Read between the lines of the post and it said that.
Oh my Lord, I was responding to a post about salary. I know what my post meant even if you don't. I don't need to "read between the lines."

Old 07-13-2019, 08:58 PM

25,644 posts, read 17,391,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
............ A history teacher on Long Island is hugely overcompensated and likely got their position through nepotism/personal contacts.
The typical history teacher in Texas is paid more than the other teachers, while spending less time in the class room. He enjoys recognition everywhere he goes in town and can even talk his way out of tickets, should some uninformed police officer dare to pull him over.
His name is always "Coach".

Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 PM

32,152 posts, read 15,143,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
if teacher's are underpaid, everyone is underpaid. where I am from, teachers start out making over $50k a year. I can't think of many professions where you can get an easy degree, get a job you can't get fired from, summers off, and make that kind of money. teacher's do fall behind salary wise mid career, but most other people get promotions in other professions to get those higher salaries.
An easy degree you say. I guess it depends on the states requirements. In my state you have to be accepted into the college of education which isn’t easy to get into.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh my Lord, I was responding to a post about salary. I know what my post meant even if you don't. I don't need to "read between the lines."
Right... so did you mean it to sound like it was simply based on salary or no? I saw at least one line that made me question that.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 AM

30,363 posts, read 23,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension plan. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much
Ok. Let's get some things straight here.

My mom was a teacher. I know exactly how much she was paid because when I got my first apartment ever, she and my dad were co-signers, and they had to put down what they made per year. I knew we were doing fine, I didn't realize we were doing that fine, and they were just ridiculously frugal.

She got paid very well. What she got paid far exceeded the cost of living in the place we lived. I would say that she was in the top middle bracket of what people in that place made on average.

So, yes, she was paid quite well as a teacher.

However, she didn't just work 180 days a year, and it sure as hell was not 9-5. She would leave the house every morning at around 6:30 - 7am. School didn't even start until 8:30am. She spent that time preparing the classroom for her teaching that day.

I also recall that anytime we would go school clothes shopping for the new grade year, she would buy up all kinds of supplies for her classroom, and for the students who may not have had the means to afford everything. That was long before most teachers did that. She chose to do that, on her own, of her own freewill, not because she was required to do it. It was her own personal money that she spent because she wanted every student to have access to whatever they needed for school.

At night, she would come home at around 5 pm, even though school got out at 3:30pm. She spent the time in her classroom cleaning up, grading a few papers, talking to students or parents or both, etc. Once she got home, she made dinner, we all ate, and then she went to her desk and did work. I know this because her desk was in the family room where our video consoles were and the tv was that we would use when my dad took the other one to watch the shows he wanted to watch. I spent many nights sitting on the couch, watching tv, while my mother sat at her desk next to that couch, grading papers, preparing lessons, etc. She worked until 9, 10, or even 11pm every week day night.

So, from 7am to 11pm, with a small break in there to make and eat dinner with her family, she was working, every single Monday through Friday.

During the summer time, I remember very well, she would go off to another city to take classes to further her teaching degree, and to make herself a better teacher. She was gone for months. I remember it very well because she was very strict, while my dad was kind of easy. When she was gone, I felt free. My dad pretty much let me do what I wanted, as long as my chores were done, whereas she would always find reasons not to let me do things. So, yeah, I remember those summers extremely well.

Those classes were not paid for by anyone but herself. She chose to do them. She chose to improve her skills and learn new ones. The more that she took those classes, the more they paid her, but she sure as hell didn't get the summer off.

When she returned, she had a couple of weeks to do whatever she wanted to do, which was usually gardening or sewing and hanging out with our cat, but then she was back to it, getting prepared for the new school year, a couple of weeks before school even started.

So yes, she got paid well, but do not for one moment think that they "only work 180 days every year" or that they clock in when school starts and clock out when school ends. You have no idea how much work they put into their chosen profession.

Calculate all of the hours that she put in, despite how well she was paid, it was certainly not what she deserved, as she should have been paid far more. I'd like to know who out there would work 16 hours a day with a one hour break to eat dinner, for 180 days a year, plus take classes all summer long at no pay, and tell me that they get paid "too much".

If you were to calculate all of the hours that she spent working each weekday during the school year, plus the months she spent in class for herself, based off of what she was paid, it comes out to about $15 an hour. She has a Master's degree.

Tell me again how teachers are over paid.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,861,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
if teacher's are underpaid, everyone is underpaid. where I am from, teachers start out making over $50k a year. I can't think of many professions where you can get an easy degree, get a job you can't get fired from, summers off, and make that kind of money. teacher's do fall behind salary wise mid career, but most other people get promotions in other professions to get those higher salaries.
I don't know where you live, but a) teachers in many cities/states don't make anything close to $50k a year, and b)$50k isn't a lot of money.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,771,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The average starting salary for teachers in the DC metro area is ranging from the low/mid-40s (Prince George's) to a hair over $50K (Montgomery County). NOVA is at the higher end with DC having the highest Step 1.
so yes then. exactly what I said.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Teaching is the most underpaid profession. Look at all of the crap they have to deal with: terrible children/ parents, incompetent aloof politicians and administrators who have never taught a day in their life, etc.
this is one of the most embarrassing comments that has ever been uttered in the history of the internet. the persecution complex that teachers and their fanbois have is unreal. typical of lwnj's though.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,154,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know where you live, but a) teachers in many cities/states don't make anything close to $50k a year, and

Can't speak for everywhere but a teacher in PA will start at about $45K plus benefits. After about ten years they will be making 70 to $80K plus benefits depending on their schooling. On average PA currently spends about $16K per student, putting it in the same league with small rich nations like Switzerland.
Quote:

b)$50k isn't a lot of money.
$50K plus benefits is pretty sweet deal for a M-F job, all holidays off including extended ones like Christmas and a 2 month vacation in the summer.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
An easy degree you say. I guess it depends on the states requirements. In my state you have to be accepted into the college of education which isn’t easy to get into.
no. it's easy. at least compared to something like computer science or math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies