Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,800 times

Advertisements

Is this what America is turning into?

By the time I get to college, kids will be strapped with hand guns going to cooking class. That's not a way to get an education. And, besides, what are the actual odds of getting shot? Let's look at some statistics. There were 18,000,000 students enrolled in 2007, the year that the Virginia Tech massacre occurred. Now, only 32 of them died. That is .000017 percent of the kids. Can you honestly sit here and say that you will fear your life for something -that- low? And, we didn't even calculate the amount of people who have graduated from colleges in the past. Overestimating everything, I would no more than 250 kids have died from a college shooting of all time. Where is the concern coming from?

And, Hell. That would be 18,000,000 guns. Who is going to be supplying that? This is what college supplies list is look like:

"Accounting 101 Text Book
Biochemistry Text Book
Hand Gun"

.. Is that seriously what you want to see?

I don't get all the rage over guns lately. Who the hell needs one? I mean, seriously. Hunting? Sure. But, you sure as hell don't need one to walk down the street. That's just overreacting.

And, accidents happen. How many times do you hear on the news that a kid was showing off a gun and wound up shooting his friend in the foot and that he wasn't aware that the gun had bullets? Not very often. However, you hear it WAY more often than a college shooting. Kids will get drunk and play around with it, and, bam, the next thing that happens is that one kid is on the floor .. dead. Now, if you want to go to the extreme, another kid pulls out his gun (since they're all carrying them) and starts firing. And, then a whole slew of people do it. And, by the time you know it, one little party has turned into a bloody massacre. In addition, How many times does a girl cheat? How many times does a girl get raped? How many times does a kid get mad at another? There are just way too many possible things that could cause someone to whip out their nine and shoot it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Is this what America is turning into?
Turning into? Gun ownership has been paramount throughout our history.

Quote:
By the time I get to college, kids will be strapped with hand guns going to cooking class. That's not a way to get an education. And, besides, what are the actual odds of getting shot? Let's look at some statistics. There were 18,000,000 students enrolled in 2007, the year that the Virginia Tech massacre occurred. Now, only 32 of them died. That is .000017 percent of the kids. Can you honestly sit here and say that you will fear your life for something -that- low? And, we didn't even calculate the amount of people who have graduated from colleges in the past. Overestimating everything, I would no more than 250 kids have died from a college shooting of all time. Where is the concern coming from?
The concern comes from prohibiting someone from defending themselves when they have not demonstrated a threat to society. If you choose not
to protect yourself, that's your right... but stripping me of my right to protect myself on public property is outrageous.

Quote:
And, Hell. That would be 18,000,000 guns. Who is going to be supplying that? This is what college supplies list is look like:
Who said anything about supplying guns? It's about being able to carry concealed on campus, not providing every student with a gun.

Quote:
I don't get all the rage over guns lately. Who the hell needs one? I mean, seriously. Hunting? Sure. But, you sure as hell don't need one to walk down the street. That's just overreacting.
Don't want one? Don't get one... but don't tell me that I can't own one because of your lack of understanding of rights.

Quote:
And, accidents happen. How many times do you hear on the news that a kid was showing off a gun and wound up shooting his friend in the foot and that he wasn't aware that the gun had bullets? Not very often. However, you hear it WAY more often than a college shooting. Kids will get drunk and play around with it, and, bam, the next thing that happens is that one kid is on the floor .. dead. Now, if you want to go to the extreme, another kid pulls out his gun (since they're all carrying them) and starts firing. And, then a whole slew of people do it. And, by the time you know it, one little party has turned into a bloody massacre. In addition, How many times does a girl cheat? How many times does a girl get raped? How many times does a kid get mad at another? There are just way too many possible things that could cause someone to whip out their nine and shoot it off.
Explain how it's not a problem at schools that do allow students to carry concealed. This whole notion that owning guns turns into a massacre is a really foolish viewpoint. You only need to look to places that mandate gun ownership to see how low the crime rates are to understand reality.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If that was true why hasn't there been a great Theme Park Massacre? No one at Disney has a gun...I'll just go through there and shoot everyone because they'll be defenseless.
You must have missed the metal detectors going into most theme parks nowadays...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
All I know is that there have a lot of kids in the past 10 years or so bringing guns to school...and using them.

Do you think LESS blood would have been shed if MORE students had guns? Instead of having a little shoving match, we could have a "turkey shoot" instead. Two kids have a problem with each other? Let's bring back dueling...instead of making them use their FISTS...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
That's definitely not a good idea.

The chance of something ever like that of happening again, is relatively low. If you put into consideration the amount of students who graduate every year from colleges around the US. It was an unfortunate effect. As for carrying guns to "protect" yourself from that ever happening again is just not logical. Having guns around heightens the chance of violence. And, besides. If a crazy lunatic comes running into your dorm and shoots your roommate, is everyone on that floor going to have a shoot-out with the lunatic? For crying out, how many kids actually know how to fire a gun?

Thays a rediculous statement. Nobody is talking about arming inexperienced people, or arming anyone really. Its about allowing people who have taken the required training & gotten a permit to carry at a university. There is no issue here except for the ignorance spouted by folks like you.
How is it that people who carry a gun everywhere, in many cases for years upon years with out an issue are going to become reckless nutburgers simply because they walk onto a school property?

On another note, if your kids dont know how to shoot YOU are part of the problem. You cannot expect kids to respect things they have no knowledge of.

Heres a pic of some gun control my kids & I practiced this weekend.

You can bet your butt they hit what they shoot at & are safer around a gun than any gun ignorant child or adult. Guns are a reality. The very least you owe your children is to teach them the basics of safe gun handling. Someday at some point in their lives they may come into contact with a gun. Its much better to prepare for that reality than hide his head in the sand while you wish they were gone.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
All I know is that there have a lot of kids in the past 10 years or so bringing guns to school...and using them.

Do you think LESS blood would have been shed if MORE students had guns? Instead of having a little shoving match, we could have a "turkey shoot" instead. Two kids have a problem with each other? Let's bring back dueling...instead of making them use their FISTS...

You are an animal. Making them use their fists. You have an obsesion with physical strength.

I certainly think its obvious less blood would have been shed. Heck, the reason its common is its sucessful. The kids are unstopable until they want to stop. Let legally armed adults into the schools & that would change immediately. Probably without anyone needing to be shot. The kids would just find something safer to do.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You are an animal. Making them use their fists. You have an obsesion with physical strength.

I certainly think its obvious less blood would have been shed. Heck, the reason its common is its sucessful. The kids are unstopable until they want to stop. Let legally armed adults into the schools & that would change immediately. Probably without anyone needing to be shot. The kids would just find something safer to do.
Aren't postal clerks "adult".

Then again, when your job's dealing with the mail, and the public, I guess the stress just gets to be too much.

What's wrong with them using their fists? Everyone walks away at the end of the day.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,800 times
Quote:
What's wrong with them using their fists? Everyone walks away at the end of the day.
Because it's american like to blow someone's head off.

.. Or so half the country says.

-x-

When you are walking into your deserted town (I am not going to say streets because usually people don't have guns in the city/suburbs) and carrying a gun, it's WAY different than when you are walking into cooking class.

Personally, I think that right should be taken away. It's so stupid. No one needs a gun.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
I won't say no one needs a gun and you have the right to have one. BUT people really need to start locking up their guns and teaching their kids safety about them. There was a story on the news here last night that a kid at an elementary school brought a LOADED gun to school to show his friends. He was 9! Another kid told a teacher or someone could have been killed. How do these kids get to the guns? My dad had pistols and shotguns in our house and they weren't locked up. But he also told us they would kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Guess what? We didn't go near them until we got old enough for him to teach us to shoot. It's really getting ridiculous and I just really don't want to think of so many people having them concealed. Too many have undiagnosed mental issues that could cause them to whip out the gun too fast.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When someone as well trained as TK claims to be turns into a bully (AFAIK he is not) your fists won't help you but a gun might be real handy. I was severely beaten by bullies in High School for reporting that I was attacked by one of them. My glasses (expensive) were broken and I was bleeding when they got through. This was also reported. They got some detention.

The next time I was attacked the results were a bit different. One set of broken ribs and a punctured lung, a completely destroyed kneecap and a cracked skull with internal bleeding. None of these happened to me. They were very surprised what a strong, angry and armed kid (baseball bat) can do when he goes berserk. I was severely punished (they make me stay home for a week) and almost charged with attempted homicide. I told the cops that if I wanted these guys dead they would be but I was just trying to avoid a beating.

If I had been carrying a gun the bully would not have tried the initial assault and a lot of damage to all parties would have been avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies