Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,218 times

Advertisements

For the record, I am skeptical of climate change being a danger. I'm also not interested in debating it or explaining my reasons why. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have spent plenty of time doing that here and elsewhere.
No. My question is for those who honestly and earnestly believe this is an imminent problem. I have plenty in my own family and among friends. One of them just sent me a copy of a book by David Wallace Wells out of the blue and implored me to read it.

My question for them is a simple one but it's always met with blank stares, silence and it always catches them off guard.

If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?

Put your money where your mouth.. or your mindset is!
I'm not being facetious here either. I sincerely do not get the disconnect between people who think we have 10-20 years at the most before society changes drastically and things like 401ks and investments become worthless and their hesitancy to take action.

My grandfather always told me.. "Don't listen to what people SAY, pay attention to what they DO!"
I don't see my alarmist relatives, friends and coworkers making life decisions like this is an imminent crisis. I don't see the Michael Manns or AL Gore's of the world doing so either.

I work in finance and deal alot with 401ks and retirement planning. I know very many people live paycheck to paycheck but have a small fortune tied up in a 401k or some sort of retirement account.
Some people sincerely and devoutly believe that we are headed for a climate disaster or emergency in the near term.. at least LONG before they would cash out this savings to retire.
Common sense dictates that money would immediately be rendered worthless if a large scale catastrophe of the sort that David Wallace Wells writes about comes to pass.
Prudence dictates that if you believe this, you would liquidate that cash and use it prepare to the best of your ability, whether that means being a "prepper" or helping to create a self sustaining community of like minded individuals.

I seem to have stumbled upon a litmus test of sorts. There are people who seem to believe this and will argue it until they are blue in the face but when asked why they have not acted on it by cashing out their soon to be worthless retirement savings, they seem dumbstruck.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 538,502 times
We are not going to suffer that much the next 10-20-30 years.

However, by 2100 there will be 4 Billion more people.

5 Billion in Asia
4 Billion in Africa
1 Billion in Europe / US
1 Billion mixed, uncertain

What happens when weather patterns change so much that food production is not possible in regions that previously produced most of their food? Or drought... or ground water pollution with salt water...

There will be HUNDREDS of million of migrants, that will be desperately trying to get to places where food is still somewhat affordable and temperate climate.

That means Northern Europe and North America / Canada, parts of Asia

China might pull it of, they are investing such enormous sums because they know what is going to come.

Do you belive your grandchildren will just stand by and see the potential death of tens of millions of people in poorer countries? Or will they do the humane thing and let hundreds of millions of Africans, South American, Asians into North America..

Maybe they will feel some shame, and do it, because their grand parents where told for 60+ years that they could actually do something about it, but just didn't care?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Meh, whatever happens in the future doesn’t concern me. I will be dead.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
The NGO Climate Feedback summarized reviews by dozens of professional scientists and concluded the majority of the reviewers tagged the article as: Alarmist, Imprecise/Unclear, Misleading. Catastrophe, if it happens is a long was off.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
This is the reason I'm not worried about climate change...those leading the climate alarmist are living their lives with no concern as if there's going to be a problem.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Just remember this democrat.

HOW AL GORE BUILT THE GLOBAL WARMING FRAUD

Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
.....a maserati

Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?

I don't believe it to be imminent in the sense you are implying, and I think most climate scientists are not saying that either. They say we need to act quickly to prevent a run-away warming situation, but the effects of the warming will not be felt for decades. So the question is - do you want your grandchildren to have a world that is a mess or a world that is more similar to what we have now?

Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Scam to make people rich. Nothing more.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 AM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Maybe it's because most people who believe we must act now are young and don't really have any substantial savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies