Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
the only thing ridiculous is Americans falling for it...
...America has reduced it's CO2 emissions back to 1991 levels....almost 30 years ago

It's the rest of the world that's increasing CO2....not the USA

who's raising CO2 levels > https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn....rbonemissi.jpg

The easiest way to stop it...is stop giving money to the UN/IPCC

The UN gives them money to help find ways to lower their emissions.....those countries use that money to build coal plants
All I know is that's why we have to hurry up and incent cheap, clean energy so that those poorer nations don't have to use coal instead.

On a side note...we could have a kind of carbon trading international program. Nations producing over a certain amount of C02 would have to "buy" the excessive carbon they produce. Nations producing below the limit would be rewarded by receiving that money. This would give those nations you're talking about a financial incentive to develop cleaner energy sources. I'm not saying we should do that...I'm just saying solutions have been proposed.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There you go again, using logic and reason with liberals. Haven't you learned anything yet? Facts have no power here.

Now-if those in the "AGW movement" actually believed what they spew-they would have long-since gotten rid of their 10,000 square foot McMansions. They would never fly private jets-perhaps the most "per capita" carbon source in the world. They would sink their yachts. They would drive Nissan Leafs rather than Suburbans. Follow the most major voices, and watch what they do, not what they say. If they don't "walk the walk"-they are nothing bug grifters.
Why would they do that? We're talking about events that aren't going to really snowball until after all those people with the McMansions are deceased. It's an issue of "what I do really isn't going to affect that much, because I'm so small" and they're right.

That's why government controls could be beneficial. I'm not arguing for what we should do about global warming. The only strategy I'm extremely fond of is researching environmentally friendly technologies at breakneck speed. I'm just saying....to get individuals to alter their behavior based on guilting them into stuff on a large scale may not be possible...because people naturally look at things like "I'm very small," and that's 100% correct. I figure any reductions of consumption will have to come about through taxes and other laws, or something that increases gas prices. Technological advancements would be another, better solution. A lot of people think that if we don't develop fusion power, we're going to be in deep trouble. Fusion power would allow clean energy without nuclear waste. The problem is, it's development is always 30 years away. If we can't develop that, I figure we're going to have no option besides some pretty hefty government controls...because society won't change culture on its own, because the individual knows that their individual actions are very small. That's why I would have preferred scrapping the whole expedition to Mars and dropping all of that 100 billion dollars or so into clean energy tech.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
B.S. Per person we're among the top C02 emitters on the planet. Also, it's not going to be convincing if we tell other countries to do things we're not doing. That's probably the most important factor.
There's NO proof that CO2 causes climate change when you can't even tell me what percentage is due to Man and what is due to NATURE. You also can't tell me where the MONEY will go from all the new Taxes, surcharges, fees, fines, etc that will be levied for Fossil Fuel use, nor how that will "FIX" Climate Change.

You do realize that every product and service we use will become drastically more expensive as everything requires the use of fossil fuel, and not just for transportation. All products, processes, and services require fossil fuel. That phone or computer your typing on is made largely of OIL. The electricity you're using to power it comes largely from COAL, Natural Gas, or other FOSSIL FUEL.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
According to Al Gore's book, its already too late. So if its too late, there's nothing we can do to stop it. So why waste time and money.
It's not one event. It's several. He's talking about it being too late to stop some of those events, not all.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
(snip)

You also can't tell me where the MONEY will go from all the new Taxes, surcharges, fees, fines, etc that will be levied for Fossil Fuel use, nor how that will "FIX" Climate Change.

You do realize that every product and service we use will become drastically more expensive as everything requires the use of fossil fuel, and not just for transportation. All products, processes, and services require fossil fuel. That phone or computer your typing on is made largely of OIL. The electricity you're using to power it comes largely from COAL, Natural Gas, or other FOSSIL FUEL.
That's why I tend to advocate technological advancements rather than government controls...but there is a system that might solve that problem without harming the economy. We could initiate a nationwide carbon tax. We could put all the collected income into a pot. We could split the contents of the pot up evenly throughout society - everyone gets the exact same percentage of the pot. That way, the less C02 you produce the greater the income from the pot assists you, and it may even give you more money that you put into the pot in the first place.

The nice thing about this option is that it would primarily hinder the private jet owners and the average citizens could very plausibly be getting more back from the system than they put into it.

However, I don't know how much money the bureaucracy necessary to institute the system would cost. Also, depending on how it's done, it could get extremely irritating for individuals. I don't want to have to store all my receipts for gas somewhere.

But you're right...it would be a lot easier to do that if we had power funded primarily through nuclear energy or something...or maybe wind or solar.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 AM

Any penalties on CO2 will cause tremendous economic slow downs, loss of jobs, and suffering especially of the poor and middle income earners. I have no problem with other energy sources, but only if they make economic sense. Wind, and solar DO NOT make economic sense. Nuke? I am not so sure, but France is doing it.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
For the record, I am skeptical of climate change being a danger. I'm also not interested in debating it or explaining my reasons why. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have spent plenty of time doing that here and elsewhere.
No. My question is for those who honestly and earnestly believe this is an imminent problem. I have plenty in my own family and among friends. One of them just sent me a copy of a book by David Wallace Wells out of the blue and implored me to read it.

My question for them is a simple one but it's always met with blank stares, silence and it always catches them off guard.

If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?

Put your money where your mouth.. or your mindset is!
I'm not being facetious here either. I sincerely do not get the disconnect between people who think we have 10-20 years at the most before society changes drastically and things like 401ks and investments become worthless and their hesitancy to take action.

My grandfather always told me.. "Don't listen to what people SAY, pay attention to what they DO!"
I don't see my alarmist relatives, friends and coworkers making life decisions like this is an imminent crisis. I don't see the Michael Manns or AL Gore's of the world doing so either.

I work in finance and deal alot with 401ks and retirement planning. I know very many people live paycheck to paycheck but have a small fortune tied up in a 401k or some sort of retirement account.
Some people sincerely and devoutly believe that we are headed for a climate disaster or emergency in the near term.. at least LONG before they would cash out this savings to retire.
Common sense dictates that money would immediately be rendered worthless if a large scale catastrophe of the sort that David Wallace Wells writes about comes to pass.
Prudence dictates that if you believe this, you would liquidate that cash and use it prepare to the best of your ability, whether that means being a "prepper" or helping to create a self sustaining community of like minded individuals.

I seem to have stumbled upon a litmus test of sorts. There are people who seem to believe this and will argue it until they are blue in the face but when asked why they have not acted on it by cashing out their soon to be worthless retirement savings, they seem dumbstruck.
What do you think people can buy that will protect us from the effects of climate change?

Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
For the record, I am skeptical of climate change being a danger. I'm also not interested in debating it or explaining my reasons why. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have spent plenty of time doing that here and elsewhere.
No. My question is for those who honestly and earnestly believe this is an imminent problem. I have plenty in my own family and among friends. One of them just sent me a copy of a book by David Wallace Wells out of the blue and implored me to read it.

My question for them is a simple one but it's always met with blank stares, silence and it always catches them off guard.

If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?
The answer to your question:

No matter how much money you have, you and all your descendants will never be able to live as happily or as successfully in a too-hot world.

Once the planet heats up past the point of no return, there will be no place you can go where life will be as easy as the life you now enjoy.

Money won't help when all of life's essentials wither and disappear.

Once you use everything up you bought, there won't be anything to replace the stuff. Once the climate heats up past the point of no return, it will never revert to the climate it was for far, far beyond your life span and your children's lives.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The answer to your question:

No matter how much money you have, you and all your descendants will never be able to live as happily or as successfully in a too-hot world.

Once the planet heats up past the point of no return, there will be no place you can go where life will be as easy as the life you now enjoy.

Money won't help when all of life's essentials wither and disappear.

Once you use everything up you bought, there won't be anything to replace the stuff. Once the climate heats up past the point of no return, it will never revert to the climate it was for far, far beyond your life span and your children's lives.
Totally agree, but if it does get "too hot to live" it will be mainly, or ALL due to nature like it has in past millennia with Ice Ages, and very hot tropical periods. The SUN is the cause of climate change to a large degree, and we can't change the Sun.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Meh, whatever happens in the future doesn’t concern me. I will be dead.
That’s keep of the way I feel while I do believe climate change is real I’ll be dead before it gets to the point where we REALLY see a big impact. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and save the planet for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies