Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s not a racist statement, but it’s inflamatory. There’s quite a few cities with similar problems, and to single Baltimore out is strange. Maybe it’s because I’m not an east coast guy, but it’s not the place I’d have singled out.

Watch Charm City on Amazon Prime. Baltimore May suck, but it is NOT a dump.
The reason Trump singled it out is twofold:

Cummings lied about the conditions at the border, and ignored that these ILLEGALS voluntarily, and illegally crossed the border in order to be detained.

Baltimore has declined severely over the last several years partially due to neglect by politicians like Cummings, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake and then, his friend, the most recent corrupt Mayor, Catherine Pugh. They are more interested in keeping the horrid status quo and just mining votes.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...502-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:57 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Cummings lied about the conditions at the border, and ignored that these ILLEGALS voluntarily, and illegally crossed the border in order to be detained.

Baltimore has declined severely over the last several years partially due to neglect by politicians like Cummings, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake and then, his friend, the most recent corrupt Mayor, Catherine Pugh. They are more interested in keeping the horrid status quo and just mining votes.

it’s pretty sad, actually. back in the day, both detroit and baltimore were world-class cities.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
The "racist" term is way overused in cases where race has little or nothing to do with the subject. It's used because it gets peoples attention....like yelling fire! It's a shame, because there is legitimate racism that needs to be corrected, but calling a dump, if it is in fact a dump, is not racism. I've been to Baltimore, but it's been 25 years. I don't know...is there more crime there than most other places/cities? Are there more rats and garbage in the streets there than other places/cities? I'll leave that for others who've spent time there to answer that question.

Probably more meaningful...is the population growing or shrinking? People vote with their feet. If you're shrinking, that means something. Who cares what they say....what are they actually doing, moving in or out? Keeping in mind that not everyone who wants to move out....can move, for various reasons.

The good news is, that like anything else, when a term (racism/racist in this case) is overused enough, it will lose it's effectiveness, and in fact, that is already happening.

Kind of like car alarms. They go off so frequently when there is no crime taking place, people just ignore then. My wife and I were sitting at a coffee shop patio yesterday and one went off. I realized a few seconds later than I hadn't even looked to see what was going on. It's just become part of the background noise and ceases to gain peoples attention because 99% of the time when one goes off, there is no crime taking place.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:05 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Baltimore On Most Rat-Infested Cities List Again: Orkin
https://www.headlineoftheday.com/201...t-again-orkin/
It's better to live among vermin than to be one.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its not. And the narrative that criticizing someone who happens to be black is somehow racist needs to be forcefully rejected.

But as I've mentioned before, we're seeing these lies of racism by the Dems as they are hoping to anger enough black people to increase their voter turnout in 2020, the division they are causing to the country be damned. What a sick and twisted way to try to achieve your political goals.
Agree !!! Democrats have become the Mind Binders !!!

Expose it !!! Reject it !!! Reject the Mind Binders !!!

The democrats have taken a page from Chinese history !!! A physical practice transformed into a binding of the mind to limit mobility of thought and limit the role of the GOP on issues of society !!!
Foot binding = to todays false racism accusations = Mind Binding !!!
Eliminate this hideous, exceedingly ugly practice !!!

https://www.ancient.eu/Foot-Binding/

Obviously being a painful process and leaving women so treated with permanent problems of mobility, which also seriously limited any role they could take on in wider society,

Last edited by phma; 07-28-2019 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-28-2019, 07:08 AM

8,509 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Why are illegal immigrants a bigger issue several thousand miles from the border? Baltimore’s issues are decades old, and trying to connect it to illegals is a pretty weak play. If someone wanted to play a race card, it would land better blaming the blacks who have been in Baltimore far longer.

But the thing is, the moms, parents, etc. would rather have been out of the violence entirely. Baltimore cops have policed the same crimes in the same places for decades.

I don’t see the border connection.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Baltimore is a dump and may rival Detroit as the worst city in the country.

That's not a racist statement. That's a statement of fact.
You used to live there? Do tell.

I did, from 2012 - 2014. My old Baltimore address is still on my drivers licence. I moved to be closer to a DC based federal government contracting job. Never had any problems at all and I would have no problem moving back. Really enjoyed my time there, one of the best time periods in my life.

While obviously not 100% guaranteed, like many major cities staying out of drug infested inner city neighborhoods will greatly increase your chances for safety. The whole city is not like that.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM

159 posts, read 61,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It seems very odd that the left immediately calls Trump a "racist" for saying Baltimore is a dump. It is- have any of you been there? How is calling a place that is a dump "racist"? Can one no longer speak the truth in the eyes of modern day leftists? If you don't acknowledge a fact, can a problem ever be solved?

Is calling parts of Appalachia a dump "racist" as well? The Blue Ridge Mountains are beautiful, but many parts of Appalachia are dumps- trust me- we hike there all the time. The North Carolina area can actually be pretty wealthy, but far eastern TN, far western VA and WV can be pretty dumpy. Racist?

MANY of these congressmen go on the attack and are so focuses on partisan political issues, that they neglect their own districts and what can be done for them.

Instead of wanting open borders and freebies for illegals, why don't Cummings and AOC focus on helping their districts, which obviously need a lot of help. Are they neglecting their duties as Congressmen?
Baltimore is a majority black city and majority runned black city. So in the eyes of many trump is labeled a racist for saying Baltimore is a dump. Since trump is critiquing Baltimore, thus he is critiquing black people. If a white person is critiquing black people, than automatically that white person is a racist.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
It’s not, Baltimore has big problems. Nothing racist about calling out its longest tenured district congressman

Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Has Trump called a town in Appalachia a "dump"? Have we all missed that? That's one of his strong voting bases, so no, no matter how dumpy and meth riddled it is, I don't believe he's called them a "dump".

And a follow up question, has another sitting president ever - ever - called an American city "a dump"?
Have the citizens of any dumpy Appalachian town ever rioted and destroyed their own town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies