Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sure, her latest giveaway sounds good to the vast majority of voters: Free Health Insurance!

Specifically, she is promising that families with incomes under $100K (the average HHI is in the 50s) will get premium-free Medicare. Yay! But how is this fair to the families who have paid into Medicare for 40 years, the vast majority of whom never breached the $100K mark? They have paid in for decades what will now be provided free-of-charge to most families.

But wait. It's even worse. Taxes will go up to cover the free stuff, so that means that not only did the elderly pay into the system that is now free to most everyone else, their taxes will be raised to GIVE it to the people for whom it is now free.

I'm not quite at Medicare age yet, but I have calculated that I have contributed well into the six-figures over the decades while ALSO paying for my own health insurance.

So, let's see: she wants health care for illegals AND free health care for all under $100K. Do I hear $200K? Going....going....
and what these pushers for medicare for all do no understand: Yes, insurance is expensive for many today, but when we were raising kids, we had to pay our or part of it; the part our employers did not pay and still we had out of pocket costs. There is no reason for anyone to think the government should offer free health care to all, at no cost to those in lower brackets.

The more I hear her ideas and observe her, the less I like her. My guess is; she will not come even close to getting the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Try comprehending this time. I, like Rachel and millions of other small business owners, have paid in TWICE what the average employee pays, because we must pay both the employer side and the employee side of taxes. That means we pay in a hell of a lot more than you probably do.

But unlike the OP, I want to make sure everyone has access to health insurance, even if it means that those who paid less than I did over the years receive the same benefits I get. Because I recognize that it isn't only about me.

Capiche?
Same with me since 1981. My business has been very successful, so I also don't complain. For every dollar I gave away I took in many more.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
The question I always have for those who complain about universal coverage, like "medicare for all", is what do you want to happen to people who do no have insurance and end up with, say cancer? Do you want them to die or what? Is that what America should be reduced to, dog eat dog?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The question I always have for those who complain about universal coverage, like "medicare for all", is what do you want to happen to people who do no have insurance and end up with, say cancer? Do you want them to die or what? Is that what America should be reduced to, dog eat dog?
The question I have for you is why the majority of American's will have their health care turned upside down to accommodate those who do not have insurance?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes....this exactly. I owned a small business for 20 years and paid both halves. The SS statement I get (that projects my payment at various ages) includes the total I've paid into SS and Med over the past 35 years. Because I paid double for decades, I've contributed twice as much as a salaried employee earning the same.
Even if my employer paid for half, that was considered part of my compensation, that, if it didn’t go to the government would have gone into my pocket, just like half of your Medicare contribution.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Try comprehending this time. I, like Rachel and millions of other small business owners, have paid in TWICE what the average employee pays, because we must pay both the employer side and the employee side of taxes. That means we pay in a hell of a lot more than you probably do.

But unlike the OP, I want to make sure everyone has access to health insurance, even if it means that those who paid less than I did over the years receive the same benefits I get. Because I recognize that it isn't only about me.

Capiche?
You can always do your part by paying for a neighbor’s healthcare. But no, you want to force everybody else to help you feel good about yourself.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:38 PM

While I worked, up until two years ago, I paid my share into Medicare so I would have coverage in retirement. During that time I also had to pay premiums for current coverage for myself and my kids. Now because some math challenged Democrat promises you the moon, you want me to pay for part of your and your families healthcare in your 20’s through 50’s, while I still have to pay for what Medicare doesn’t cover?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
While I worked, up until two years ago, I paid my share into Medicare so I would have coverage in retirement. During that time I also had to pay premiums for current coverage for myself and my kids. Now because some math challenged Democrat promises you the moon, you want me to pay for part of your and your families healthcare in your 20’s through 50’s, while I still have to pay for what Medicare doesn’t cover?
People in their 20's through 50's already pay for Medicare recipients. Medicare recipients only pay about a third of the medical benefits they receive. Calculate a life time contribution into Medicare and compare it to the cost of one heart bypass. And that doesn't include all the medical costs a senior incurs between say 65 and 85-90+.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:

Capiche?
Wow, you are so superior to me, aren't you? You care about others, and I'm a selfish ***. And when did I say it's all about ME? I am talking about the third of Americans who are on, or soon will be on, Medicare and have paid into all their lives.

So you want to make sure everyone gets health insurance, eh? I bet you were all going-ho for Obamacare then, weren't you? It sounds so altruistic - "helping" everyone!

What you and other liberals don't understand is that Obamacare made health insurance unaffordable millions, or left others with insurance that doesn't pay anything. And similar penalties would befall elderly if Medicare for all were instituted. After paying in their entire lives so they could have insurance in their old age, when they will be on modest incomes, they now will have their taxes jacked up so Medicare can be provided free to others.

Medicare for all will be a disaster. The ones who will suffer the most are the elderly, who contributed for decades. They will now have their taxes raised to cover what will effectively be MEDICAID for all.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that working-age Americans will pay twice to get their healthcare.
How funny! All of us on Medicare now had to pay into it for 10 years (or our spouses paid in). Now we have to pay premiums for Medicare B, D, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Many people don't ever get a chance to "earn" healthcare for life, even after working a lifetime.
What are you talking about? If you qualify for Social Security, you qualify for Medicare at age 65. Basically you have to have paid in for 40 quarters (10 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies