Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 02:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

double post

Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Tell that the Great Britain or Australia which both have rather strict gun laws and few mass shootings.
Exactly. That is the point.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
"thoughts and prayers"

Old 08-03-2019, 02:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Other than altering the Amendment - which only Congress can do -

Congress cannot alter the Constitution, they can put an amendment on the table with 2/3 vote. This is how all Amendments started to date but they can also be put on the table with a 2/3 vote by the states. Ratification requires a 3/4 vote of states or 38 of them. The ultimate power of this country lies with the states as intended, if you could get 38 states to agree you could for example abolish Congress, the President and the Supreme Court. That is the power that lies with a 3/4 majority of states with each state getting an equal seat at the table.

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This is an important point. An armed person may very well not pull out their weapon in a situation like this for two reasons:

1) You don’t know who the bad guy is when multiple people are holding guns.

2) The other people don’t know if you’re the bad guy or not when you’re holding a gun.

Both of these scenarios could easily lead to even more innocent people killed.

What makes me really angry is that we still guard our money in banks better than we do people in schools, stores, etc.
No shortage of guys doing the open carry thing in Dallas when shooting broke out. They ran for their lives with everyone else. As it was, some running around them perceived them as one of the shooters.

Cannot imagine what would have happened if some of them started shooting at each other.

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Does Texas have open carry? If so, do you think it helped with this active shooting still in progress?
Yes they do have an open to carry. Not really sure if it helped or not. A few years ago there was an active shooter at a WA walmart and it was someone who was carrying that stopped him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Of course! No shooters would ever go into a Target! Brilliant solution!
Actually one of the rumors flying around (and this is from a close family friend in the area) that Targets and other Walmarts are on high alert because the shooter said something about there being more shooting in those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hey Beto... Texas death row for this mass killer ?

What do you think ?

You told us El Paso was safe.
This is what I thought of too. He said it was the 4th safest city in Texas, but everything I've heard from other military spouses and military members it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Just a thought: Here we have tax free weekend for back to school kids. (assuming Texas has tax free weekend)...Is it possible they targeted Walmart because there were be tons of shoppers in there?
They go back to school in a couple of weeks. My friend who lives there said the military base is on lockdown.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Okay, I heard 10 shots really fast, loud from a rifle maybe? What kind of gun shoots off 10 rounds so fast?
Semi-automatic rifle, one round per trigger pull. 20-round magazines are common. If you're not concerned with careful aim, you can fire as fast as the action cycles.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The problem with Conservatives in America is that they are really stubborn and don’t want to change. So much so where even a class full of children getting killed by a mass shooter doesn’t even cause them to bat an eye when it comes to gun laws. Every other modern country changed their gun laws, but not America...with deadly consequences as a result.

Well, this conservative would like to see some changes.

Gun free zones are an ongoing disaster created by people that think mass murderers will obey gun laws.

Everyone should be carrying a firearm...especially in schools and other public venues where these things regularly occur.

As for your brilliant plan to disarm the victims before the attack, last I heard trucks are still legal in France and kitchen knives are still legal in the UK.

Care to guess what you use to stop a mass murderer using a truck or kitchen knife to kill a bunch of people?

That's right.

You use a gun.

The good guys show up with guns and kill the bastards.

The only reason they manage to kill as many people as they do using trucks and kitchen knives is the good guys with the guns usually take a few minutes to get there.

We could cut that time down considerably if ordinary people, the ones already there, already had the guns where they needed to be.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:30 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thank you for you honesty.

Way too many arm chair warriors seem to fantasize about stopping a mass shooter in his tracks.

Nearly impossible to distinguish a good vs bad guy with a gun in the middle of chaos.

The hero is more likely to be shot by another good guy and/ or LE.
I agree about the fantasies. Reality is totally different: chaos, noise, screams. Even trained officers are too rattled to follow their own procedures at times.

What I was trained in my CHL class here in TX was to never EVER brandish your weapon in a crowd during an incident such as this unless you can a) clearly identify the aggressor 2) shoot them in point-blank range without harm to others. This training was followed with the stern warning that “an easy option 2 event almost never occurs”.

Armed citizens can *sometimes* stop an aggressor. There are some good stories where this has happened. Most of the time you’re better off just hitting the ground with everyone else.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Okay, I heard 10 shots really fast, loud from a rifle maybe? What kind of gun shoots off 10 rounds so fast? Serious question. I do not own a gun.

PS: I am pro-gun for responsible gun owners.
Every gun owner is responsible right up to the moment they become irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies