Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

A defining characteristic of most liberals is their obsession with spelling errors. It is quite amusing, yet a very consistent characteristic of liberals- they just cannot help themselves.

It is a symptom of intolerance, which appears to be pervasive among the left.

Witness on this site how many times liberals point out spelling errors. It is rather amusing, as it happens all the time and nearly 100% of the time the error is pointed out by a lib.

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-...cientists-find

Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
And so .... the conservative attack on education continues.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

"Education"?

I am very pro-education. I have advanced degrees and emphasized education in my children, who have done very well. All three of my kids have degrees beyond their undergrad degrees- so does my wife.

Obsession with spelling errors is a reflection of a psychological problem, in that the "speller" tends to be less tolerant and one who has not achieved goals in life, thus the need to express "superiority" and show others their mastery to others. Often those obsessed with spelling tend to be less secure and thus feel the need to demonstrate their "excellence" through the trivial.

It is a common manifestation of liberals and reflects their intolerance and need to feel superior to others, despite lack of accomplishments.

On a recent episode of the Slatepodcast Lexicon Valley, John McWhorter similarly pointed to the way language bullying makes one feel superior—and also argued that classism was at work. Both Monin and Kurzban suggest that the status of the person making the correction relative to the individual who committed the perceived error typically plays a role. According to Monin—whose work examines how people respond in specific interpersonal situations to maintain or enhance their self-image—when individuals feel as though they have something to prove, either to themselves or others, language bullying is more likely to occur. “When we’re threatened—if I didn’t get into college, or into grad school, or I didn’t get the job at the New York Times—I might be the first one to write something attacking someone else’s language because it will elevate me a little bit,” he says. “On the other hand, if I’m super-secure, I’m probably not going to do that.”

Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A defining characteristic of most liberals is their obsession with spelling errors. It is quite amusing, yet a very consistent characteristic of liberals- they just cannot help themselves.

It is a symptom of intolerance, which appears to be pervasive among the left.

Witness on this site how many times liberals point out spelling errors. It is rather amusing, as it happens all the time and nearly 100% of the time the error is pointed out by a lib.

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-...cientists-find
It's part of their madness. Being stuck in a perpetual state of adolescent hood, they continue to behave as children would, including point out tiny errors of others in order to make themselves feel better.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Looks like SOMEbody is kinda sensitive.

I won't mention any names.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Very insensitive to their urban and illegal base.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
To paraphrase Mark Twain: "I have no use for a man who can only spell a word one way".

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

My spelling and grammar are not the greatest, if you want to compare vocabulary on the other hand.... There was a poster here years ago that had the most eloquently written text you could imagine, his mastery of the English language was one of the best I have seen. The problem was he conveyed nothing with it. It was actually quite amazing how he could write beautiful empty paragraphs.

I think the point being made is they are quick to point out spelling/grammar mistakes. It's the low blow when trying to debate something, especially if it's the only comment you make. I have poster on my own forum who's spelling and grammar is atrocious, however his knowledge of what he is writing about is superb. I'll take poorly written text with meaning over beautiful gibberish every time.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I'm not a liberal by any stretch, but I can not stand spelling and grammatical errors even though I'm sure I make plenty every day but I know the difference between their/there/they're and to/too/two as those are the ones that really make me cringe.

It is funny and sad to watch someone make a decent point in a debate then they lose all credibility(IMO only, of course) with a basic grammar error.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Everyone is prone to typos, autocorrect mishaps, and spelling errors. Especially when we are doing something else while posting, and posting on the fly. As a general rule, when I see it, I just let it go. If I am having a heated discussion with someone, I feel it makes me look bad if I start attacking their spelling. If my argument is sound, I don’t need to concentrate on the person’s spelling errors to win the argument. It makes me look petty.

I have one or two exceptions.

One is if the person is correcting another person’s spelling, and they, themselves spell something incorrectly in their post.

Another is if they spell something incorrectly in a post where they are calling into question, the other person’s intelligence.

And lastly, if someone keeps making the same spelling error over and over again, I might choose to tell them for their own good. For example, there is a poster who always spells the word “because” as “becuase”. I told him in a nice way, but it didn’t work. He still spells it that way.

Also, spelling the word “lose” as “loose” used to be a pet peeve of mine. Until the internet, I had no idea that so many people misspell this word. Now I am so used to it, it doesn’t bother me anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies