Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know a white supremist
Yes i know a real white supremist 58 25.66%
No 153 67.70%
Every white male is a white supremist so yes for that reason. 15 6.64%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I think the idea of there being a "white" identity is one of the dumbest things ever invented. What does it mean to be "white"? Its a non-identity, it tells you almost nothing about an individual.

Contrast "whiteness" with the Irish identity. If someone says i'm Irish, I know. The are from a specific place called Ireland, there is a language, religion, history, culture, heritage, way of life and historical struggle that accompanies being Irish. Its an actual identity.

If someone says i'm "white", what do I know? Almost nothing about them. Being white is not about being something its about not being something. You aren't black, aren't Asian, aren't Latino.. Sorry but if your core identity is being "white" then you have no real identity.
Being White (aka European) means your ancestors originated somewhere on the European continent within the last 5,000-10,000 years.

There are cultural differences amongst Europeans, but also similarities we don't share with other people. It's an identity, meaningful in its own context. If I go to a European nation, saying I'm European has no meaning. There it will matter if I'm English or French or something like this. But if I'm in the USA, or Australia or Canada then being a European-descendent has meaning.

Likewise, in all countries, saying we're all human has no meaning to me. Maybe one day if outerspace aliens come and colonize our planet, then human identity will have more meaning, now it's meaningless.

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
I think the idea of there being a "white" identity is one of the dumbest things ever invented. What does it mean to be "white"? Its a non-identity, it tells you almost nothing about an individual.

Contrast "whiteness" with the Irish identity. If someone says i'm Irish, I know. The are from a specific place called Ireland, there is a language, religion, history, culture, heritage, way of life and historical struggle that accompanies being Irish. Its an actual identity.

If someone says i'm "white", what do I know? Almost nothing about them. Being white is not about being something its about not being something. You aren't black, aren't Asian, aren't Latino.. Sorry but if your core identity is being "white" then you have no real identity.
Just as when I tell you I'm a white American. I have a great deal of Irish ancestry btw.

But I'm not going to play your game that those of European descent don't really exist and don't have more similarities, commonalities and affinity for each other than they do with others.

YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
What if I used to know a white supremacist?

We need to talk about ethnocentrism more before we can narrow it down.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM
YAZ

I know white people from Mexico.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM

732 posts, read 391,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I find it interesting that, although the OP is just a simple poll asking whether anyone personally knows a white supremacist, several white supremacists have joined in the conversation to either disingenuously argue about the definition and/or assert that there's nothing wrong with it.
Once again, from the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"White supremacy or white supremacism is the racist belief that white people are superior to people of other races and therefore should be dominant over them. "

Hands up from all those people who think that whites should dominate other, non-matching, people. Another vote from those who think that whites are superior to the various flavors of Asian ethnicities.

I think I'll go with Green Mariner, that there's really just a pecking order at work. Blacks are practically always at the bottom, although you can make a case for aboriginal Tasmanians.

If you want to redefine the term, you go for it girl.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
What people mean by "white" is really European. We as European people have shared Christian values, a lot of cultural similarities, generally fair complexions (with a minority of southern europeans having olive complexions).
This is hilarious...shared Christian values??? Oh like the Troubles in Ireland, or the Thirty Years War... Do you even know any European history?

What cultural similarities do Russians have with the Spanish? How about the the Greeks with the Finnish?

There are loads of non-Europeans who have a very fair complexion and plenty of Europeans who have a darker complexion. Its a meaningless to divide people as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You as a middle easterner are some contact population, that's often lumped in as White for the purpose of census counting. Indeed, many Arabs, Persians can pass as Europeans but many cannot as well.
Which further proves how idiotic the concept of being "white" actual is.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM
YAZ

[quote=GoldenPineTree;55927665]Being White (aka European) means your ancestors originated somewhere on the European continent within the last 5,000-10,000 years.

There are cultural differences amongst Europeans, but also similarities we don't share with other people. It's an identity, meaningful in its own context. If I go to a European nation, saying I'm European has no meaning. There it will matter if I'm English or French or something like this. But if I'm in the USA, or Australia or Canada then being a European-descendent has meaning.

Likewise, in all countries, saying we're all human has no meaning to me. Maybe one day if outerspace aliens come and colonize our planet, then human identity will have more meaning, now it's meaningless.[/QUOTE

As the Bosnians and the Croatians still hate each other.

Turks & Armenians

Chinese & Japanese.

Previous post is racist and ignorant.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:19 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Once again, from the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"White supremacy or white supremacism is the racist belief that white people are superior to people of other races and therefore should be dominant over them. "

Hands up from all those people who think that whites should dominate other, non-matching, people. Another vote from those who think that whites are superior to the various flavors of Asian ethnicities.

I think I'll go with Green Mariner, that there's really just a pecking order at work. Blacks are practically always at the bottom, although you can make a case for aboriginal Tasmanians.

If you want to redefine the term, you go for it girl.
I have not redefined the term.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:21 PM

732 posts, read 391,295 times
Quote:
This is hilarious...shared Christian values??? Oh like the Troubles in Ireland, or the Thirty Years War... Do you even know any European history?

What cultural similarities do Russians have with the Spanish? How about the the Greeks with the Finnish?

There are loads of non-Europeans who have a very fair complexion and plenty of Europeans who have a darker complexion. Its a meaningless to divide people as such.

Which further proves how idiotic the concept of being "white" actual is.
I think I can give a reasonable answer to that.

'White' is a construct that came from the largely English but somewhat mixed European population in the New World.

They were faced with an existential threat from the natives and found themselves banding together to keep their kith and kin alive. It isn't like the Dutch or French were close friends with the English. The indigenous folks were used as cannon fodder as an extension to European wars, but soon came to be viewed as a common enemy.

In a sense, it's like the way the Russian nation was founded from similar but not identical people who were faced with the threat from steppe tribes from the east.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
I was at the rest stop on the New York State Thruway in their cafeteria area. I was with a church group with two kids at my table. I started talking about the Spanish Inquisition and used the term grand inquisitor. All of a sudden a skin head sitting with his family started staring at me and continued staring through his meal.

You know, if you want to hide something from a stupid person just put it under a stack of books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies