Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 01:51 PM

26,852 posts, read 27,031,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It was pretty clear to me that the lady who spoke was telling the truth. Her story was similar to that of others who came forward. The Republican Senate (minus a couple with higher moral character) completely disregarded this data and put party above ethics and even country.

I will tell you that many women have not forgotten this and this will come back to bite Trump and Republicans in November.
Agreed; this will be a big problem for them.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:31 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,482,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting.

"I’ll admit it. I was a Kamala Harris skeptic.

The day Joe Biden announced that the California senator would be his running mate, I rolled my eyes and resigned myself to voting for her.

It just seemed bonkers that Joe Biden would select a career prosecutor — Black though she may be — at a time when Americans are taking to the streets to protest a criminal justice system that continues to treat Black people unfairly. And yet, also all too typical of the Democratic Party to go for the moderate.

But that was (last) Tuesday.

Now, I’m all in. I’m even excited, and certainly more committed than ever to giving President Trump and Vice President Pence the boot.

What’s changed for me, and I suspect for a lot of Black people who were initially less than enthusiastic about Harris as VP, has been the constant stream of racist attacks against her from Trump and his various minion mouthpieces. Lukewarm about her before, now we’re fired up and defensive.

I mean, how else can one respond to the comments about her being “nasty” during the Democratic primary debates and “a madwoman” while questioning then-Judge Brett Kavanaugh during his Senate confirmation hearing for the U.S. Supreme Court. Never mind that Kavanaugh was legit angry crying. The “angry Black woman” trope is so tired."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...k-lives-matter
Even though I have frequently disagreed with decisions Kamala Harris has made, when the right attacks her they are attacking me and every other woman in the US, because we would hear the same BS if it were Amy Klobuchar or Tammy Duckworth. It doesn't matter the color or ethnicity, they just use that as an excuse. Even if it were a lily white male the right would find some reason to attack him and go after his character- it's who they are, it's how they think they can win elections.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:29 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,303,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Even though I have frequently disagreed with decisions Kamala Harris has made, when the right attacks her they are attacking me and every other woman in the US, because we would hear the same BS if it were Amy Klobuchar or Tammy Duckworth. It doesn't matter the color or ethnicity, they just use that as an excuse. Even if it were a lily white male the right would find some reason to attack him and go after his character- it's who they are, it's how they think they can win elections.
Both sides do that. No one has the high road on political attacks. Negative ads seem to work.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:41 PM

50,545 posts, read 47,363,900 times
There is this:

https://lawandcrime.com/second-amend...ion-magazines/

Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM

22,096 posts, read 9,653,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You do realize, don't you, that it was Reagan who first encouraged illegal immigration by declaring the first "amnesty" for illegals already in the country, and also by union-busting, which opened the door to employers to go for the lowest-cost labor available?
Ok, maybe. But now we realize what a mistake it was and the damage it caused. And as I understand it, they promised something in exchange for it that they never delivered. Fool me once...

Old 08-16-2020, 02:19 AM

33,365 posts, read 12,677,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't heard those attacks, thank heaven. I try to maintain a Trump-free zone in my home. Imagine my surprise last night, when I opened my local desert-town raglet of a newspaper, to read that the opposition forces have launched a rerun conspiracy campaign claiming Harris isn't eligible for office, due to (supposedly) not being a native-born citizen! UNBELIEVABLE! Proof they don't learn from their past mistakes, and aren't interested in doing so. Just keep beating that dead horse, because you never know when he might surprise you, and get up & take off, is their m.o.? The headline said something about His Orangeness making a statement in support of the rumor.

Yeah, that'll work.

Unbelievable.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 AM

21,827 posts, read 16,502,114 times
As to speculations concerning Harris’ lack of value in energizing mid-West battleground swing states, umm:

Quote:
Harris 'electrifies' West Indian voters — and gives Biden a new edge in Florida

... That feeling stretches beyond the Jamaican-American community and the more traditional African American community, shared by those in South Florida with roots in Haiti, the Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago or Guyana. They comprise a growing and varied Black West Indian diaspora community, a little-discussed but increasingly influential slice of the electorate of the nation’s biggest swing state.

While exact numbers are hard to come by, census estimates and political studies peg the diverse Black community — nicknamed the Caribbean Massive by some — at more than 2.5 million, including hundreds of thousands of Florida voters. That’s crucial in a battleground state where elections are often decided by less than a percentage point.

For a campaign that's been dogged by questions of lackluster enthusiasm since Biden declared his candidacy 16 months ago, the electricity sparked by the Harris pick has produced tangible results. The campaign reported raising a record $48 million in 48 hours. Pollsters logged an uptick of support for Biden, who was already leading Donald Trump — including in the president’s must-win state.

“It’s the pick that’s going to energize us. It’s the pick that’s getting us motivated,” said Karen Andre, one of Biden’s top advisers in Florida who’s of Haitian-American descent. She said the campaign plans “a full 360 degree effort” to engage Caribbean-American voters, including with paid radio ads in Creole and English and possible interviews with Harris with local hosts who have audiences with roots in the West Indies.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-voters-395554

Old 08-16-2020, 09:53 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,489,287 times
Her presence on the ticket is meant to be a lightning rod which will take the negative attention off Biden. Kinda works but it's still a horrible combination. Regardless, if you're a California resident, this is who your vote will ultimately go to no matter which box you plan to check.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 PM

50,545 posts, read 47,363,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Her presence on the ticket is meant to be a lightning rod which will take the negative attention off Biden. Kinda works but it's still a horrible combination. Regardless, if you're a California resident, this is who your vote will ultimately go to no matter which box you plan to check.
Except for the fact so many people despise folks from California and with good reason.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:01 PM

545 posts, read 517,202 times
I think she was a poor choice

I think she's a dud

I'm not a Dem tho, just saying

And watching her and Biden the other day during a signing "ceremony" where the reporters were shuffled out, and seeing Kamala looking a little uneasy all of a sudden, that here she is stuck with an old man, it dawned on me that Biden picked her as a way to humiliate her

Pay back, in other words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies