Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 12:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What is the ratio of deaths by car accidents/total number of cars in US to the ratio of gun deaths/total number of guns in US?
Well, there were 40,000 gun deaths in the US last year. 60% were suicides; therefore, the number of accidental deaths and homicides were 16,000.

There are approximately 400 million guns in the US.

There were also 40,000 car deaths in the US last year, with 3,026 suicides.

There are 269 million cars in the US.

So, the ratio of all car deaths vs all gun deaths are higher in the US.

Factoring out suicide, the ratio of car deaths is much higher.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:50 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,398,597 times
The left for years was saying “Talking guns away is right wing-talking point”.

Lmao no it’s not.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,315,139 times
Quote:
I worry more about becoming a victim of a deranged mass shooter in a public place than from the government.
Ask the people of Russia, China, Germany, and our Native Americans about that.

Quote:
You are going to waddle over to get your gun with a walker and successfully shoot the person, with your arthritic shoulders, who already broke down your door?
Waddle, really, so much for tolerance for the disabled? BTW, my gun is within my reach.

[quote=jojajn;56175898]
The PSTD never really ends for those who lost a loved one to or witnessed a mass shooting.

A very close friend of mine had her sister and brother killed (in different years) by drunk drivers, she won't talk about it.

Quote:
I would argue that people who feel they need to stockpile weapons to protect them from a tyrannical government have the irrational fear.

How many have been shot by our government as compared to the number shot by mass shooters?
A likely total of 100,000-500,000 Native Americans in the U.S. have died since 1776. The high end would be around a million. Native Americans are the have the highest mortality rate of any U.S. minority because of U.S. action and policy.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Nativ...overnment-kill

Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So you just said that guns are not designed to kill things

Keep slapping, gun are used to kill, not their purpose.....people USE guns to kill....

Reading comprehension, it'll do you wonders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Theres no arguing with people in such denial. It's laughable.

No denial, but when you have no idea what you're talking about and cannot back up what you state.....then those that do know what they are talking about get a pretty good laugh when the OP and people such as you show up to discuss....thanks....

Old 09-14-2019, 12:52 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,760,826 times
Quote:
Should a mass shooting occur near you, who would have to die before you would say, "ENOUGH !" and fight for gun control?

-your friend

-your co-worker/partner

-your neighbor

-your parents

-your brother/sister

-your spouse

-your children
It's a stupid question. The vast majority of gun violence in the USA is inner city gangs slaughtering each other, mostly with guns they did not legally obtain. So what happens when you threaten legal gun ownership? You rapidly expand the black market, making it much easier for the gang-bangers to get their illegally obtained guns.

If I wanted to drastically decrease gun crime in the USA I would:
1. Legalize all illicit drugs, thereby taking the gangs and cartels money and power away.
2. Get the press to stop reporting the names, pictures, identity, and life history of mass-shooters, thereby taking their fame and primary motivation away from them.
3. Make legal gun ownership for people with no criminal record a simple and easy process, complete with safety training, complete with classes on responsible behavior and what is and isn't legal and allowed for a person carrying a concealed firearm.
4. Go after the gun black market harder.
5. Rather than chasing the impossible pipe-dream of repealing the 2nd Amendment and banning all guns, do what you actually can do: Armed guards in schools and anywhere you consider to be at risk. Metal detectors. Well vetted concerned parents make the best volunteers if you didn't want to pay anything for armed guards.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Ask the people of Russia, China, Germany, and our Native Americans about that.

Waddle, really, so much for tolerance for the disabled? BTW, my gun is within my reach.

The PSTD never really ends for those who lost a loved one to or witnessed a mass shooting.

A very close friend of mine had her sister and brother killed (in different years) by drunk drivers, she won't talk about it.

A likely total of 100,000-500,000 Native Americans in the U.S. have died since 1776. The high end would be around a million. Native Americans are the have the highest mortality rate of any U.S. minority because of U.S. action and policy.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-Nativ...overnment-kill
I always say that if given the chance, Native Americans would have established and defended their borders had they known the future.

They'd also say having guns in the beginning would have helped.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,764,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Life is not without risks. Those victims could have died by other ways.

Banning a tool instead of mandatorily locking up mentally defunct people will always be a failure.
I know you're smart enough to understand you don't have both options. And I also know that you're smart enough to understand that all of the people/categories listed in the OP are at risk - a lot more risk than was the case, say, 30 or 40 years ago.

We all know that it used to be that almost all gun murders took place in crime-infested neighborhoods. All you had to do was stay away from them to keep your risk minimal. Now, in this new age, anyone and everyone is at risk - anywhere, every day!

And yet capable, educated people continue en mass in deep denial, looking the other way and pretending that their families will be safe whether or not they give another moment's thought to the slaughters around them. It is mind-boggling.

One can only conclude that guns are every bit as much a "religion" to the cold dead hands group as "climate change" hysteria is to the demented left. But continuing to conduct ourselves like it's still 1787 is not an option. Not if there are others that you truly do care about.

All responsible citizens should answer the OP question and give it considerable serious thought before they do.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So you have guns like a HK MP5 SD 9mm submachine gun laying around. And I mentioned that some people collect guns so again you’re wrong.

You lose, I have a few Wilson Combat pistols around.....

I also have a CheyTac....(quick, go google it and figure out what I'm talking about)....

I have a few 1897 Winchester shotguns, 12ga and 16ga......

If you'd like I can go on, but it's obviously you think that only sub-machine guns are valuable.....

That's why you and the OP get laughed at.....

Old 09-14-2019, 01:04 PM

50,535 posts, read 47,317,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I know you're smart enough to understand you don't have both options. And I also know that you're smart enough to understand that all of the people/categories listed in the OP are at risk - a lot more risk than was the case, say, 30 or 40 years ago.

We all know that it used to be that almost all gun murders took place in crime-infested neighborhoods. All you had to do was stay away from them to keep your risk minimal. Now, in this new age, anyone and everyone is at risk - anywhere, every day!

And yet capable, educated people continue en mass in deep denial, looking the other way and pretending that their families will be safe whether or not they give another moment's thought to the slaughters around them. It is mind-boggling.

One can only conclude that guns are every bit as much a "religion" to the cold dead hands group as "climate change" hysteria is to the demented left. But continuing to conduct ourselves like it's still 1787 is not an option. Not if there are others that you truly do care about.

All responsible citizens should answer the OP question and give it considerable serious thought before they do.
The chance of dying in a mass shooting is still less than 1/10th of 1%. I am not worried and won't live my life in fear. Have a good day sir. I'll be at the beach not worrying about a mass shooter.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:05 PM

30,395 posts, read 23,858,591 times
Quote:
How many new safety regulations have there been for cars over the past 30 years?
How many cars have been banned in the past 30 years because they kill people? That is the apt comparison, not "regulations".

Quote:
We have that many assault rifles in the US!?!

Why would a population of 300 million possibly need 75 million assault rifles?
It's not your business why anyone "needs" anything. The 2nd Amendment is in the Bill of RIGHTS. And I already explained the 2nd Amendment to you, which you clearly did not understand before then since you claimed that we had the 2nd Amendment to protect against what you call "the enemy" that you continue to refuse to define.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You know we have MADD and there were stricter laws passed, I don’t get why folks get all twisted about restricting some weapons from some people. I own a small 380 -who needs more and for what invasion? If I think war will come give me a bazooka and a fire thrower with granades. I can’t have those and there is no invasion, but at least I’m not afraid of attacks everyday I wake up.
What alcohol was banned due to all of the drunk driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies