Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 04:42 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You have an irrational fear and your irrational fear is causing you to want to control the lives of other people. Your irrational fear is not my problem. That is YOUR problem.
This ^^^^^^
Problem is, people like her are trying to make it our problem by coming after our guns...

Old 09-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You seem to be struggling with how to interpret a research manuscript. You are conflating the methods of cited past research with the results of the current research. Research manuscripts of current research typically cite past studies. I can't explain it any clearer than that.
Got it now, she's a researcher/scholar/professor type......that's why no common sense. Probably believes in that climate nonsense as well.....

Old 09-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I always say that if given the chance, Native Americans would have established and defended their borders had they known the future.

They'd also say having guns in the beginning would have helped.
Yep...and when they were armed as well (or better) than the Govt, they were able to repel oppression. Ask Custer....

Old 09-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m pointing out that none NEEDS to open carry a fully automatic weapon out in public.
Who the heck is doing that? No one I've ever seen or heard of...Link? Story? Picture?

Old 09-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Killing innocent silhouettes, pieces of paper and clay.

How many dots on paper must be shot before we put an end to this?
Guilty as charged...I'm so ashamed....

Good one!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'll agree with gun confiscation under 2 conditions...

1) prove that the new gun law/ban would have prevented all of the mass shootings in last 15 yrs.

2) That all criminal's guns have been confiscated and there is no way for them to obtain another.

Until then, i'm keeping my guns.
I get your point, but i wouldn't agree under even these terms.....what if several bad guys jump my fence and come after my family with knives and clubs? How can I defend against this attack with a gun? This is not a far-fetched scenario....home invasions are on the rise (around here)

Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
If anyone close to me, god forbid a family member or my spouse, were shot dead I still wouldn't be giving up my guns.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Why would anyone have to..

Old 09-14-2019, 05:14 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why would anyone have to..
The complete thread is based on a faulty premise.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:29 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Rights are to do what ever the H I want- period. But that would only work if I own my own island. Reality is rights is a nice word but very negotiable. Ie. Person stopped n they refuse to show ID - eminent domain- getting arrested because sending threats to those in power even though it’s just words - protesting - but need a permit, and the irs going after me when I can’t afford the tax. Rights ? Getting equal pay as that dude that sits near me, even if I work more n know more. And thank you Jesus We can all vote and more recently get a mtg to buy my own house as a woman. Our rights are supposed to be potected by the constitution. But gays can’t marry in many states ?
Wild West was 70 yrs later but all had pistols /muskets whatever prior to being called cowboys - A change of hats.
An ID is not in the Bill of Rights.

Sending threats is not in the Bill of Rights.

Not paying taxes is not in the Bill of Rights.

Equal pay is not in the Bill of Rights.

Women voting is not in the Bill of Rights - it comes later as an amendment. But you will notice that nowhere in the Bill of Rights did it say that women could not vote.

Gay marriage is not in the Bill of Rights.

These are the Bill of Rights:

I: Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition

II: Right to keep and bear arms

III: Conditions for quarters of soldiers

IV: Right of search and seizure regulated

V: Provisons concerning prosecution

VI: Right to a speedy trial, witnesses, etc.

VII: Right to a trial by jury

VIII: Excessive bail, cruel punishment

IX: Rule of construction of Constitution

X: Rights of the States under Constitution

ALL of those are INALIENABLE rights.

This is the rest of the Constitution:

https://www.archives.gov/founding-do...ion-transcript

You cannot change the Bill of Rights. The most you can do to any part of the Constitution is add an amendment. There have been 17 something amendments - EVER.

Here they are:

A state cannot be sued by individuals in another state.

Electors cast separate votes for president and vice president.

Slavery abolished.

Due process equal protection to the law given to all persons or naturalized citizens.

Right to vote cannot be denied due to race, color, or previous condition of slavery.

Federal income tax established. (That was 1913 for those who continue to be confused how things ran without an income tax.)

Direct election of senators.

Prohibition (later repealed because it was a stupid idea - as with most things people want to ban.)

Women given right to vote.

Dates of presidential nomination and opening of Congress.

Prohibition repealed. (It lasted from 1919 to 1933)

President limited to 2 terms.

Citizens of Washington DC given right to vote for president.

Prohibit poll tax for voting.

Succession of president or vice president

Minimum voting age set at 18. (1971)

Limits on when pay raises for members of Congress can be enacted.

Which one of those do you see taking away someone's rights? Prohibition. You'll notice that didn't last very long. If you want to talk about the Constitution, then understand the Constitution. Understand inalienable rights, understand amendments. Understand that just because something was written doesn't mean it was "given" to us by the writers, rather it was a document that spelled out, quite clearly, what the government could NOT do.

Again, the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with the Wild West or whatever other fantasies you want to push out as the reason.

And again, you don't seem to comprehend the difference between inalieanble rights - as in, the government did not "give" us those rights, and amendments, wherein the government DID give you some rights.

Gay marriage is not an inalienable right. Women voting is not an inalienable right. You do not have the inalienable right to threaten someone.

The Bill of Rights is a statement to the government: "You can't F with these." It is not a list of rights that the government gave us.

How is it that lefties can't understand that. You have rights simply because you live here. No. Other. Reason. They are ours, the government does not have the right to take them away. They will try, and they usually get pounded in the polls and lose elections when they do - because many people understand what the Bill of Rights mean.

And if, one day, the government actually does try to push the issue and take away any of our Bill of Rights - especially the 2nd, then you might get to reenact that Wild West fantasy that you keep bringing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies