Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times

Advertisements

Yeah...you go right ahead and leave "groceries stores half empty". When the riots break out, be sure to let them know it was your idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
LOL. a communist arguing for empty grocery stores.

anyone ever seen this before?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,565,059 times
I think the scientists are on to something with their investigation of gut bacteria. The type of food you eat alters the gut biota, and that sends chemical feedback messages that alters your brain's responses. I could see how gut bacteria would have naturally evolved to make you eat more food that they like.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Not everything. Personal choice is still a factor. But marketing plays on psychology. They have the money and power to influence people.

Not saying we should ban ads though.

If anything we need to encourage more education on better health. Better living overall.
People cant even figure out how to tell the Russians were setting up fake events on FaceBook and they cant tell how to avoid phishing scams that target their SSNs. As a society I think we are in trouble due to a lack of common sense, this whole Darwin thing doesn't seem to be working quickly enough.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, that has little or nothing to do with it.

The science is in: exercise won’t help you lose much weight

Are you just looking for excuses, or what?

From that linked article - 5 lbs a month for a 200lb man is significant amount of weight loss. It's not "little", and it's certainly not "nothing".

Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I will tell you because I already now. We have too much food.

just like a communist to tell someone they have too much food

Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,123,252 times
We wanted everything fast and convenient.

After WW2, we started a trend of designing our cities around cars and thus you needed a car to get anywhere.

I think we are trying to reverse that. Encourage more of a walkable design. Make walking convenient again.

Many cities require a car to get anywhere. Without one your screwed. A car should be an option, not a requirement.

Other than food, thats another issue.

Our society kind of built itself into a corner.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It has to do with the general relaxation of STANDARDS of both dress and thinness, so yes it does.
I repeat: The relaxation of standards for thinness is not a cause of increased obesity - it is the result of increased obesity. If people weren't so fat in the first place, "fat acceptance" would not be a thing. So we're back to square one: Why are people fatter in the first place?

Quote:
So its the evil corporations, now mostly run by Far Let Progressives???
Food processing corporations and agri-tech companies are probably mostly run by conservatives.

Quote:
No it is eating habits, lack of exercise, and personal responsibility. Corporations can't force people to eat too much, eat the WRONG types of foods, and not exercise. It is THEIR fault and our habits and social norms are different from decades ago.
Exercise does not lead to weight loss. See link in my previous post above.

It is not about personal responsibility. People are no more or less responsible than they were 30 years ago.

Read my other link above about how, even if we eat and exercise the same as we did in the 80's, we will be 10% fatter. That is, someone being just as responsible now as they were 30 years ago, will be 10% fatter.

Whose fault is that?

I know you conservatives like to think that personal responsibility is the cause of all evils, but that just isn't true. Sometimes people being responsible are penalized for no fault of their own.

Is it fair that if you're just as responsible now as you were 30 or 40 years ago, you will be 10% fatter?

No.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because we wanted everything fast and convenient.
Everyone is ignoring this comment, but this is the reason. We wanted fast, convenient, and cheap.

Junk food is way cheaper than healthy food.

It takes way less time to prepare.

We don't have a country full of "salad" drive thrus.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Are you just looking for excuses, or what?

From that linked article - 5 lbs a month for a 200lb man is significant amount of weight loss. It's not "little", and it's certainly not "nothing".

That's if you do 60 minutes of running 4 days a week!

No, that is not reasonable to expect everyone to do that. Nor did your average person 30 years ago do that much exercise. Not even close.

That example goes to show how difficult it is to lose weight via exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies