Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Then why do you butt into our business?
YES! A thousand times YES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
Of course an American would never dream of commenting on another country would they?

Just look at this thread for example.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Ok, so if you don't think it would work in the US then carry on as you are, that's your decision.
Oh, I intend to. For once I agree with you. It is my decision and no one else's.

It's why we have freedom and individual civil liberties over here and are not subjects of the crown. It's why we fought and won a revolution against your system of governing.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-30-2019 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Great, You're happy, we're happy, everybody is happy!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM

I guess the POINT of all this if you'll pardon the pun. Is that no matter how many laws are passed that only affect the law abiding. Only gives criminals the upper hand and instead of decreasing crime it only exacerbates it. So in jolly old London your chances are almost one in ten of becoming a victim of a crime.

Quote:
by Daniel Clark,
last edited Sep 23, 2019
In 2018/19 the crime rate in London was 95.99 crimes committed per thousand people. Since 2015/16 the crime rate in the United Kingdom capital has increased in every reporting year, with the steepest increase occurring between 2016/17 and 2017/18.--https://www.statista.com/statistics/380963/london-crime-rate/

London now more dangerous than New York City, crime stats suggest
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...stats-suggest/
London is now more crime ridden and dangerous than New York City, with rape, robbery and violent offences far higher on this side of the Atlantic. The latest statistics, published earlier this week, revealed that crime across the UK was up by 13 per cent, with a surge in violence in the capital blamed for much of the increase.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:49 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Of course an American would never dream of commenting on another country would they?

I have no problem with non-American commenting on our country, culture, politics, etc. We are in an echo chamber over here and it is good to get an outside perspective. Bring it on!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:

No, but when you rule the world, you have a right to comment.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I guess the POINT of all this if you'll pardon the pun. Is that no matter how many laws are passed that only affect the law abiding. Only gives criminals the upper hand and instead of decreasing crime it only exacerbates it. So in jolly old London your chances are almost one in ten of becoming a victim of a crime.
Is that NYC, the safest big city in the US? How about other cities? Did you stop to consider the huge differences in the definitions of what constitutes a 'violent crime' in the two countries? The majority of those crimes are non-violent crimes, credit card and internet fraud is one that has been on the increase in recent years, not sure how guns are going to stop that, do you want to shoot up your PC if a Nigerian prince doesn't send you the money he promised?

The laws clearly don't affect only the law abiding, criminals in the UK are far less likely to be armed than criminals in the US and far less likely to use weapons in their crimes, therefore they kill fewer innocent people, many fewer cops get killed trying to catch them than they do in the US.

De-escalation works better to reduce harm than an arms race.

As I said earlier, I walk around London very often, in all sorts of areas, never once have I thought "I need a gun to be safe here".

But if you don't agree that's fine, we prefer the system here so that's that.

I note that about 90% of your posts on the forum seem to be about guns and gun laws so it's clearly a hobby-horse of yours, for most of us it really isn't an issue though in our day to day lives, we are quite happy without guns and are not fearful of our fellow citizens without one.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Is that NYC, the safest big city in the US? How about other cities? Did you stop to consider the huge differences in the definitions of what constitutes a 'violent crime' in the two countries? The majority of those crimes are non-violent crimes, credit card and internet fraud is one that has been on the increase in recent years, not sure how guns are going to stop that, do you want to shoot up your PC if a Nigerian prince doesn't send you the money he promised?

The laws clearly don't affect only the law abiding, criminals in the UK are far less likely to be armed than criminals in the US and far less likely to use weapons in their crimes, therefore they kill fewer innocent people, many fewer cops get killed trying to catch them than they do in the US.

De-escalation works better to reduce harm than an arms race.

As I said earlier, I walk around London very often, in all sorts of areas, never once have I thought "I need a gun to be safe here".

But if you don't agree that's fine, we prefer the system here so that's that.

I note that about 90% of your posts on the forum seem to be about guns and gun laws so it's clearly a hobby-horse of yours, for most of us it really isn't an issue though in our day to day lives, we are quite happy without guns and are not fearful of our fellow citizens without one.
Likewise, I'm good with that.

You don't have a 2nd Amendment, we do. So retaining it is obviously not an issue with you. After all you don't have to fight to keep what you don't have. That should also be obvious to you as well. The 2nd Amendment is constantly under attack by people who are citizens of the United States that think the way you do. As an individual that believes in Constitutional law it's my obligation to fight them whenever and wherever the opportunity arises. That's not a hobby, it's standing up for what you believe in. If you think that I'm just going to roll over and play dead, you've got another guess coming. If 90% of my posts are about guns and gun laws then so be it. That's for me to decide and not you.

You have your system of governing and we have ours. As I mentioned earlier that's why we fought and won a revolution against your system of governing. You're happy with your system of governing and I'm happy with ours.

Then what's the sense of arguing any further?

Old 09-30-2019, 12:28 PM

I don't think there is much point, I just wonder why the thread was created in the first place.

We don't have a 2nd amendment type law and hopefully it will stay that way. The vast majority of British people don't want an armed society like that, it only seems to be journalists and commentators from the US right wing that are telling us constantly that we should want that and that we are wrong if we don't want that, I don't know why they want to involve themselves in such a way with another country and how it chooses to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies