Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I just don't make predictions any more. I don't know if he will be removed from office. But impeachment has to take place because no president should not be able to withhold or distribute public funds for PERSONAL gain. The US treasury is not his personal piggy bank, and it is illegal to solicit a foreign country to participate in US elections. The president is the representative of the American people, not the head of Trump, Inc. We can't let there be NO consequences for breaking the law. If we let that happen, it truly will become the imperial presidency.
show me in the transcript where he did that

Old 09-26-2019, 08:28 PM

1,141 posts, read 450,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
While it's unlikely that the Senate will vote to remove Trump if he's impeached by the House --- there are still solid reasons for impeachment.

1) It's to hold Trump accountable - from a principled standpoint of the role of Congress.

2) Keeps the public attention focused on his wrongdoing - so that he's not able to try to pivot away or do one of his stupid distraction moves.

3) Energizes the Democratic base. Forget trying to convince the unconvincibles - help turn out your own
None of those is a legitimate reason for impeachment. Impeachment was never intended to be a political weapon. That's the dems use for it and it flies in the face of justice. As to Trump's "wrongdoing", there obviously hasn't been any or the dems would have charges and convictions to back up their pathetic political posturing.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:37 PM

52,293 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What he did is impeachable. He asked a foreign government for dirt on his rival. Of course, we know to his supporters he could shoot somebody on 5th Avenue and not lose their support. So nothing he does warrants his impeachment or removal, no matter what it is.
I'm not a trump fan. I don't have TDS. It doesn't rise to impeachment.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
“putin’s Mitch” ah I see the Dems also still want to add some “Russia, Russia, Russia” to this as well
If someone had told me 5 years ago that the GOP was getting ready to switch sides and become one of the biggest defenders of Putin and Putin's Russia beyond anyone's wildest dreams, I would have laughed in their face. My how the times have changed.

Last week Mitch McConnell finally agreed to back measures that would help improve US election security after refusing to let the bill onto the floor of the Senate for nearly a year - this despite the fact that the bill had widespread bipartisan support. So, what game was McConnell playing? Was he concerned that the only way Trump can win re-election is by more dirty tricks? Was Putin making generous contributions to some offshore bank account in McConnell's name?

What finally seemed to turn the tide was when billboards calling McConnell "Moscow Mitch" began to appear all over McConnell's home state of Kentucky. After throwing a hissy fit over his new nickname, McConnell finally let the election security bill proceed, much to the disappointment of the Trump crowd.

Trumpublicans treat their leader as if he were the second coming and can do no wrong. In fact it seems to be an act of heresy for conservatives to admit that Trump has ever made even the smallest of mistakes or that a single Trump action is in any way questionable or just downright wrong.

Combine this with the stock conservative replies of "TDS!" or "Russia, Russia, Russia" when you can't come up with any sort of logical rebuttal, and Trumpublicans come off as mindless followers of some autocratic despot.

If you love Putin's Russia so much more than you love your own country, I suggest that you move to Moscow where you can live happy ever after just like Edward Snowden.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If someone had told me 5 years ago that the GOP was getting ready to switch sides and become one of the biggest defenders of Putin and Putin's Russia beyond anyone's wildest dreams, I would have laughed in their face. My how the times have changed.

Last week Mitch McConnell finally agreed to back measures that would help improve US election security after refusing to let the bill onto the floor of the Senate for nearly a year - this despite the fact that the bill had widespread bipartisan support. So, what game was McConnell playing? Was he concerned that the only way Trump can win re-election is by more dirty tricks? Was Putin making generous contributions to some offshore bank account in McConnell's name?

What finally seemed to turn the tide was when billboards calling McConnell "Moscow Mitch" began to appear all over McConnell's home state of Kentucky. After throwing a hissy fit over his new nickname, McConnell finally let the election security bill proceed, much to the disappointment of the Trump crowd.

Trumpublicans treat their leader as if he were the second coming and can do no wrong. In fact it seems to be an act of heresy for conservatives to admit that Trump has ever made even the smallest of mistakes or that a single Trump action is in any way questionable or just downright wrong.

Combine this with the stock conservative replies of "TDS!" or "Russia, Russia, Russia" when you can't come up with any sort of logical rebuttal, and Trumpublicans come off as mindless followers of some autocratic despot.

If you love Putin's Russia so much more than you love your own country, I suggest that you move to Moscow where you can live happy ever after just like Edward Snowden.

The 1980s called they want your foreign policy back

Old 09-26-2019, 11:02 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
If it's anything like Schiffs "parody" phone call between Trump and Ukraine it's pure fan fiction.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
OP doesn't get to decide what is or is not considered a "innocuous" phone call.
Except when it is authorized by a pre-existing treaty to share law enforcement information.

Treaty between the United States of America and Ukraine on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
https://www.congress.gov/treaty-docu.../document-text
Treaty Between the United States of America and Ukraine on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters with Annex, signed at Kiev on July 22, 1998, and with an Exchange of Notes signed on September 30, 1999, which provides for its provisional application.

Obeying the law and treaties is not an impeachable offense.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:13 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, I don't think any of us are under any illusion that he will be removed from office. But hearing about the phone call the other day was sickening. It's like--he's working on our time to advance his own personal business. Not only that, but using that time to ask a foreign country to dig up dirt on OUR elections? These are supposed to be our own democratic elections, elections by and for AMERICANS. AMERICA. Remember that place?

So the thought of going global (and I thought the Repubs didn't like globabism) to investigate his opponent was too much. It it takes Biden out, so be it. It's this continuous treachery and what feels like treason that was the last straw.
And why do the democrats get a pass when they want to flood the country with immigrants just so they can get them legalized to vote, which is in a sense, using foreigners to change the outcome of an American election?

Old 09-27-2019, 12:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Pelosi has no choice if she does not call for impeachment the party will split

Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I sure don't. Trump was wanting corruption investigated and I don't have any problem with that. But then I don't support the corrupt politicians. If they are corrupt on either side, I want them gone.

So fill me in on what Biden did that earned him this title of corrupt. Seems to me trump is doing the same branding technique to Biden as he did with Hillary, how long before all the righties are convinced hes a crooked corrupt criminal and the lock him up chant starts happening at trump rallies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies