Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Public investment and infrastructure created the internet.
Libertarians must live under the existing social contract. Yes, in order to live in a home I must pay property taxes either directly or indirectly. I guess Communists can’t use products supplied by capitalists. The fact is both communists and libertarians must live under the existing contract. The internet is a product of both government and the private sector as is just about everything else.

I’m actually a classical liberal. The adjective classical is needed because modern liberals stole the term. Libertarian is a term that covers a broad range of philosophical positions. I’m basically a constitutionalist with my greatest economics influence the late Milton Friedman.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In many ways, yet. The main difference between a libertarian and a leftist is the leftist wants the government to provide everything everyone needs. The libertarian wants all those services to be there, but they don't want to pay for it. They pretty much believe in the same end result for the economy, but just differ on how to get there.
Or forced to pay for it. This is when charities and fund raisers can come in handy. We have seen how these things do wonders for animal sanctuaries and how they are helping needy kids in poor nations. Heck, we have such charities here such as St Judes and March of Dimes that does a damn good job in helping people without being a burden on tax payers.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Liberalism as you quote it is classical liberalism. American liberals today are leftists, not liberals in the classical sense. American conservatives are the heirs of classical liberalism.
American conservatives do not exist as any type of force. It's a self applied personal label to some....but there is certainly no "conservative" movement outside of Right Wing Authoritarianism and Evangelicals. Those represent the vast majority of "conservatives".

Surely you can't be claiming that any Trump supporter (higher debt, puzzy grabbing, authoritarian, anti-trade, nationalism, etc.) is a "conservative"???

And, if you cannot...then we don't have many left to pick from. I think if you knew me you'd call me a conservative. So there is that.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That has nothing to do with conservatism. A religious person can be a conservative or a liberal or anything in between.
so what you are saying is a large chunk of people who claim to be conservative, arent really conservative ?

Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, then we agree on Liberalism being the right way.

"Liberalism sought to replace the norms of hereditary privilege, state religion, absolute monarchy, the divine right of kings and traditional conservatism with representative democracy and the rule of law. Liberals also ended mercantilist policies, royal monopolies and other barriers to trade, instead promoting free markets"

We do not agree on modern conservatism which is more about telling others how to be, authoritarianism, class and intolerance. Note all the "conservatives" on here hating Global Trade. Are you with them...or us?
I'm not a liberal.

Most conservatives, libertarians, and progressives are.

But I'm not also. Mercantilism isn't necessarily bad, its just the liberal order decided economic activity was more important than stability and tradition.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Actually, we don't mind when tax dollars are collected and spent on projects anyone can use. Such as roads, libraries, the mail, police and firefighters. We have a problem when we are forced to pay high taxes so only a specific portion of the populations can reek the benefits. For starters, I don't mind taxes going to pay for schools and teachers to teach kids, but I have a problem when all of a sudden I learn that there is a school board with 5 or more members and they are making $100,000 or more a year off of my hard earned tax dollars, for pretty much doing nothing but be an over paid adviser. I also have problems when my tax money is used to put some woman who can't keep her legs closed into a nice apartment in a nice part of town and be given food stamps to buy steaks and lobsters. And let's not forget the ever expanding government offices who like to give them selves $150,000 salaries with benefits, all on my dime, or giving their pals no bid defense contracts so they can use it to bomb and terrorize third worlds.
Why are firefighters different from health clinics or schools?

We have private schools for people who want to cut ahead and have the money, but that just hurts everyone.

Imagine if there were private subscription based firefighter companies besides the public option. The whole system would degrade.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
American conservatives do not exist as any type of force. It's a self applied personal label to some....but there is certainly no "conservative" movement outside of Right Wing Authoritarianism and Evangelicals. Those represent the vast majority of "conservatives".
Correct. And by the same token there is no real libertarian movement outside of the Koch brothers’ network of lobbying groups and propaganda outlets. There are plenty of self described libertarians out there who may differ with the Koch brothers, but the former are irrelevant. They don’t have a billion dollar machine behind them.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:28 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so what you are saying is a large chunk of people who claim to be conservative, arent really conservative ?
Being religious is a separate issue. Religioua people are spread across the spectrum and religiosity is not an inherent part of conservatism. Conservatism is the belief in the autonomy of the individual over the state i.e. classical liberalism.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Never. French revolutionaries were Jacobins, the same kinds of hooligans that are updated today on the progressive left.

On unions, Tiananmen Square, the Gdansk Shipyard, Wenceslas Square, Zuccotti Park, Frank Ogawa Plaza have proven the left has always hated the worker.
You may not want it to be true but most french revolutionary thinkers were very libertarian (even if the results didn't pan out)

They supported individual autonomy over land lords and property owners. Back then it use to be the aristocracy and tax system that promoted the wealthy.

Today wealth/capital is privately owned in large chunks which means private governance of people. Libertarians evolved into property owners.

But they have a long history of differentiating property rights with individual rights; two things they saw as conflicting.

Proudhon or even Rousseau shared a spectrum of this thought.

Libertarians only evolved after world war 2.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Studies have shown that right wing conservatives are far more charitable than the left. Progressives' attitudes are always that the "government should be paying for it."

Charity has another dimension: it's a proven, time tested crowdsource method for effectively separating wheat from chaff, separating out genuine need from that of neuroses and cronyism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies