Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:54 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post

3. FT WORTH cops have shot 6 people dead this year. That’s the problem.
Is it? The latest case was egregious but what about this one? What would you have had them do differently for an armed and wanted felon?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019...lice-shooting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 AM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Is he really the enemy??? Or a young kid put into a tough spot in a rough neighborhood?? I teach, if I make a mistake at work I might have to call a parent I am sorry, not risk being sent to prison.

And like the police, teachers are no longer respected, and treated like the enemy in todays world..
There has been a fair bit of information made available about this shooting, but I'm sure its possible that something significant has been left out. Why don't you tell us about how this cop was in a "tough spot" when he choose to go prowling around this woman's house, and how he had to shoot her, because, you know, he was in a "tough spot."

Old 10-14-2019, 08:59 AM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Yes, some people are clueless... unable to see the constant life and death situations these young officers are forced into on a daily basis and then blaming them and wanting to send them to prison.. if society and some of these communities can get back to respecting authority and human life, I bet these shootings go WAAAY down.
Do you believe that this cop shouldn't go to prison?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Is he really the enemy??? Or a young kid put into a tough spot in a rough neighborhood??
No one put him in that spot except him. He decided entirely on his own to go into some woman's back yard.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 10-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
In an area that's unsafe to be out at 2AM, I am not going to judge another person, especially since I wasn't there and didn't see what happened.. What was he thinking? He has NO IDEA who that person was, could have been an 80 year old lady that was scared to death or could have been an 18 year old street thug that just broke into the house and left the door open.. If the neighbor thought there was something amiss, why can't the officer???

I live in an area that if my neighbor leaves the door open, I walk over there and shut it or make sure everyone is ok.. I am not going to judge an officer that works in such an area as this happened.
An area that's unsafe, also known as "an area where people of color live".

Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Is it possible there was another cop on the scene, who had knocked on the screen door and called loudly to any inhabitants, but hadn't gotten any response? That would justify pausing at the screen door for a moment himself, and then going around back to see what he can see - possibly someone in need of medical help?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I miss the old days when you felt you could call the police in case something went wrong. Now you don't call the police in the event something will go wrong.
And it's sad that we have to think of the police that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If the cop felt threatened he could have easily stepped to the side of the window out of the line of fire and called for backup. Looks to me like he just panicked.
Cops aren't supposed to panic. They're supposed to be trained to not panic. They are supposed to keep order and protect the people. Panicking accomplishes neither of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Body cam shows that he never announced him self as a cop."

Body cam shows that he DID announce him self as a cop.

To speculate WITHOUT the fact is.......!
Oh, the irony.

When you're wrong, you're really wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Fake, false flags so the powers that be can use it to strip Americans more of their second amendment. They are right now attacking the hell out of Texas because of it's love for guns and defending yourself. I also think the El Paso shooting was also staged.
That is one seriously disturbed viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
None of my business, but why was she playing video games with her eight year old nephew at 2 a.m.?
That is irrelevant. She was in her own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But I agree, this isn't what mainstream families do. She's the aunt, not the mother also. So she may have a completely different standard of care.
Spoiling nieces and nephews is precisely what "mainstream" aunts do. Good grief! And what exactly is a "mainstream" family? Are there laws or guidelines about how late you can allow your nephew to play video games when he's having a sleepover at your house?

Didn't think so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't IMAGINE that's protocol for a "check welfare" call. I've made those calls, on an elderly relative when she wasn't answering her phone for a couple days, and I'm certain they went up to the door and knocked, didn't creep around the property and look in with a flashlight.
My mom has had several welfare checks done on her when her Life Alert accidentally went off and she didn't know about it because she was outside or had left the house and couldn't answer the phone. In her case, when she had set it off just before she left the house, the police called first, rang the doorbell. Life Alert called me to ask if any of the neighbors had a key. When she didn't answer, they looked around for an unlocked window and entered the house that way. They probably would have broken a lock or window if the window hadn't been locked. I wasn't there, so I don't know what they would have done if the window wasn't unlocked.

What they didn't do as I instructed was look in the garage window to see if her car was there. But when the police are called for a welfare check they are are instructed to keep looking until they find her when her Life Alert alarm goes off.

In this woman's case, why didn't the police just try the front door first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Playing video games with an 8 year old at 2 AM is bad judgment, even for an aunt.
So that justifies her being shot?

And no, it isn't bad judgement. Spoiling your nieces and nephews is what good aunts and uncles do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What’s with all these people not closing or locking their doors?
If I'm awake, my door is open in good weather. Why would you assume her door wasn't locked? And why does that matter? Is not closing your front door at 2 a.m. now a shoot-able offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Thirty to fifty shootings each weekend in Chicago is not news.
And were any of the shootings done by cops killing civilians? That would be news.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Is he really the enemy??? Or a young kid put into a tough spot in a rough neighborhood?? I teach, if I make a mistake at work I might have to call a parent I am sorry, not risk being sent to prison.

And like the police, teachers are no longer respected, and treated like the enemy in todays world..
What? So people who live in the homes where it's a "rough" neighborhood deserve to get shot and killed in less than 4 seconds and the cop is justified for that?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:24 AM

638 posts, read 240,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Shooting this woman was no accident.
Then call it a mistake, we all make mistakes at our jobs... sadly this ended up with someone dying, similar to what happened in New Orleans when that hotel collapsed. .

Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 AM

638 posts, read 240,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
What? So people who live in the homes where it's a "rough" neighborhood deserve to get shot and killed in less than 4 seconds and the cop is justified for that?
Not justified, the officer should likely lose his job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies