Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I mostly agree with you.

However, imo the cop is the one who set up the situation that presented a possible threat to him and his partner.

It defies common sense that they were sneaking around in the back yard when presumably they knew the homeowner was likely in the house. Especially in a state like Texas where a large part of the citizenry is armed for self defense.

If they were too afraid to go to the front door, they should have just parked in front of her house and addressed her from the loudspeaker on their car. Not like they didn't wake up and traumatize the whole neighborhood by shooting her anyway.

It also sounds like even if he had announced himself she may not have been able to hear what he was saying through the apparently closed window.

Haven't heard one police officer comment that suggests this was an 'honest' mistake.

Everyone seems to be agreement that the officer was WAY out of line.

With all due respect to your elaborate excuses for why it was okay, I'm going with his boss who was going to fire him for his actions a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I disagree. I think his finger was on the trigger while he was calling out to show her hands, and bam.

He's freaked out, and pulls the trigger while his finger should not have been on the trigger.

That's what I'm hearing.
Are you just speculating, or is there evidence of this?

Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Glad to see the murder charges.

DA qpuls not have arrested the officer so quickly if there wasn't overwhelming evidence against him.

Wonder how the unwavering pro-cop crowd is handling/spinning this, or are even they conceding on this one?

Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
This is really an unbelievable tragedy and I can not imagine how any trained police officer could do something this horrible. In your own home and a cop shoots through a window and kills you.

They had better not sweep this one under the carpet and let him off.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Glad to see the murder charges.

DA qpuls not have arrested the officer so quickly if there wasn't overwhelming evidence against him.

Wonder how the unwavering pro-cop crowd is handling/spinning this, or are even they conceding on this one?
It just strengthens the pro 2nd amendment argument against antis who argue only police should have firearms.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
whole story is being made into "racebait" Racebaiting is racist... I spit on racebaiters

Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Haven't heard one police officer comment that suggests this was an 'honest' mistake.

Everyone seems to be agreement that the officer was WAY out of line.

With all due respect to your elaborate excuses for why it was okay, I'm going with his boss who was going to fire him for his actions a.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

What elaborate excuses for why it was okay?

I haven't said anything of the kind.

Everything I have said is it was not okay. You need to reread.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A neighbor calls the cops because her door was open for x amount of hours?

Damn, the indoctrination centers have worked well.
I leave my door open all the time when it cools down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
When I lived at my last place, I did not have working AC so I would always have my door open when I was awake and I'd often be awake until 4 or 5 am. Glad no one called LEOs on me. Of course, I'm white, so they would have knocked on the screen door or yelled out, "Police! Is everyone OK?!"
I have A/C, but like I said, when it cools down, I leave my door open at night. Yes, all the way until morning. I have one medium sized dog whose bark will, more than likely, cause someone to think twice about entering. If that wasn't enough, I have a second dog handy - and when the first one starts going, they both start going - if someone is stupid enough to still try to break in through the locked metal (not thin wire) screen door and confront both dogs - well, I don't feel sorry for the attack they are going to receive from 2 sets of teeth.

I guess I better start closing it so some untrained cop doesn't shoot me through a window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I heard she was holding the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
It hasn't been reported that she was holding it. The report I heard said it was found on the floor of the bedroom she was in, so I presume she was holding it and probably dropped it when she was shot. Doesn't seem like most people would leave a gun laying on the floor esp with a child in the house.
And we go back to training. This time, no one can use the excuse that he was off duty, as if a cop turns off their training the second they clock out for the day. As was stated in the article, his bodycam shows that he never knocked on her door, never announced and identified himself, and was walking around the house shining a light in her windows.

What would you think if you were sitting at home, minding your own business when suddenly, you see someone outside shining a light in your windows? You aren't involved in any domestic dispute, you haven't done anything wrong, you're simply sitting at home, doing your thing? You have no idea who the hell is out there, prowling around, looking in your windows - what do you think any person would do if they had access to a firearm? They would go get it. It would be nuts not to go get it in that situation.

She had, according to the article, no idea that was a cop. The cop was sent on a welfare check, not on a call because she had done anything wrong. He never identified himself as a cop - gone to her door, knocked on it, rang the bell, said "Ft Worth Police" or anything. If the article is correct, and if she was holding her gun (which I did not read that she was) it would be understandable because anyone at that point would have thought it was an intruder. If that's how it played out, nope, he doesn't get off, in my book. TRAINING should have told him to go to the fricken front door and knock on it, identify himself, and talk to her.

She's dead because she left her door open. Was it a cooler night? Maybe she wanted to take advantage of that. Maybe she doesn't have a/c, like another poster said, and wanted to cool the house down. It doesn't matter, it's her door, she can leave it open if she wants, that does not give a cop the right to go prowling around her house, unannounced, and then firing on her when (IF) she had a gun in her hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I disagree. You pull your weapon in case you might need to use it, and you don't put your finger on the trigger until it's necessary to shoot.

Or anyway, that's what I've learned today. You need to pull your weapon in case, but you don't place your finger on the trigger until the moment.
Wrong. You do not pull a weapon on someone unless you intend to shoot them. That gets ingrained into anyone who ever takes a course - no matter where that course is. You don't pull a weapon "just in case", you only pull it if you're going to shoot it, and you know, when you pull it, that you can very well kill someone. That's why you don't do a "just in case" pull of your weapon. You know, the moment you aim a weapon at someone, in short order, you could be ending someone's life.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-15-2019 at 12:45 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
And the tax payers will have to foot the bill for the lawsuit. Law enforcement needs to have their own private insurance.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:51 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And the tax payers will have to foot the bill for the lawsuit. Law enforcement needs to have their own private insurance.
Private police using private insurance under private resolution councils. Voila!

And the brainwashed morons who call government goons on their neighbors for having their door open disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies